Valvetrain noise... normal?

CSVT#49

:
98 Ford SVT Contour
Alright so our MZ3 doesn't even have 1k miles on it yet and I noticed a peculiar noise coming from the engine bay. I only noticed it after we had come home from a long drive. I had just shut off the radio, wife got out of the car and let our dogs out from the back seat and then went in the house where I then was going to pull the car into the garage for the night when I then noticed the sound. I'm guessing I didn't hear it during the drive because the radio and the conversations we were having. I would describe it as a frequent clacking. After I pulled the car into the garage I popped the hood and listened intently. Its definitely coming from underneath the engine cover. I didn't pull out my mechanic stethoscope, but I may tomorrow afternoon. I am assuming it may be just normal valvetrain noise, but it seemed a little loud for that. First thing I checked was the oil after I shut the engine off. Definitely enough there. I would assume that dealerships would have covered that with a pre-delivery audit anyway.

So with all that I guess my question is... do you guys hear that noise from your cars? Is this normal? Being this is a new car I would have expected not to have issues like this; especially since the MZ3's comes so highly recommended from everything I read.

Doubt I'll be much help here but my car doesn't make anything loud except for the normal engine idling noise and the timing chain.
Sorry I don't have any more info that I could share.

i have seen a few issues with the variable intake manifold runner valves ticking against the engine, to verify you need to see what kind of vaccum readings you have at the throttle body or intake. Otherwise, take it to your dealer!

Back