A Guide to Turbocharging your 2.0L FS

blue, could you describe the difference in the car from before turbo and after turbo? I don't even know what to expect but I know it will be wonderful (for me at least)

since I went from turboooooooo -> supa turbooooooo -> turboooooooo -> blown turboooooooo...I can attest, boost is a wonderfuuuuuuull thing! lol

I can't even make it over most hill passes around here without dropping down to fourth and flooring it...but I just can't seem to bring myself to spend my motorcycle money on ANOTHER turbo (turbo number 5 to be exact) when I'm selling the car in a few months anyways lol

blue, could you describe the difference in the car from before turbo and after turbo? I don't even know what to expect but I know it will be wonderful (for me at least)

I can explain short sweet and to the point. lol.

Before turbo: The car was fun to drive around with what mods I had (intake, header, catback w/ hi flo, ported IM w/ vtcs removed, nsn spacer, etc).

After turbo: The car is much more fun! lol. Seems I pay attention to my car much more now b/c with the install of a turbo you have more to worry a little more with the new additions. I think this is mainly b/c I added the oil and coolant lines for the turbo, you need to learn an incredible amount of knowledge so that you can understand the function of what is going on as well as paying attention to certain sounds and functions of car itself. For example I was enjoying the turkey until I knew it was compression surge and essentially is not good. So now I have been learning how to get rid of it. Also as neox said, when going up hills you need to down shift and not take the hill in 5th in order to prevent your turbo from blowing, etc.

When you do the install take your time and have a friend there to help. When I did my install I kinda rushed it and wanted it done b/c I could not wait to boost and stayed up multiple nights in a row.

The only two things I am running into is that I need a tune b/c i'm running very rich (you can watch a video in my thread) as well as fixing the turkey.

I know i'm looking forward to it!

by the time i'll get around to putting everything on, she'll have around 120,000 miles on the engine... but don't worry the strong 1.8 BP will last forever! (no not literally)

since I went from turboooooooo -> supa turbooooooo -> turboooooooo -> blown turboooooooo...I can attest, boost is a wonderfuuuuuuull thing! lol

I can't even make it over most hill passes around here without dropping down to fourth and flooring it...but I just can't seem to bring myself to spend my motorcycle money on ANOTHER turbo (turbo number 5 to be exact) when I'm selling the car in a few months anyways lol

Get the bike. Trust me....get the bike

i miss mine soooooo much

haha, my thoughts exactly....I'm done putting money into this car for now, getting the bike and riding it around till the end of the tax season this year and then getting my evooooo (family business is www.taxbrain.com, so my income is pretty much seasonal in tech support where I work)

Reposting, this time in the correct section. (/facepalm)

As per the turbo kit for sale in the marketplace...
I'm not worried about the mounting hardware, I can pick that up anywhere.

Minus the mounting hardware, the list looks like this... (exc. electrical)

radiator extension hose -> Is this on the list? Anyone have a part no.?
5/16" hose for water lines -> [This?] It's just a bit bigger in size. The parts says 5/16", and the list on the front page says 3/8"
some hose clamps
Union -4AN to 1/8 NPT -> what's this?
Oil pan draining fitting -> Anyone have a link for this/is it listed?
Oil fitting BPT to NPT -> Anyone have a link for tihs/listed under different name
5/8 Oil hose -> Found this.
some misc small rubber hoses -> makes me think I should just purchase ALL hoses, so I don't miss anything.

Reposting, this time in the correct section. (/facepalm)

As per the turbo kit for sale in the marketplace...
I'm not worried about the mounting hardware, I can pick that up anywhere.

Minus the mounting hardware, the list looks like this... (exc. electrical)

radiator extension hose -> Is this on the list? Anyone have a part no.?

you only need the msp short radiator if you are using the msp smic...and you only need the extended upper radiator hose if you are using the msp short radiator

here is the list for the msp radiator/smic setup from the first post under the section for intercooling:

----OEM side mount parts
Here are all the parts you will need for the OEM side mount assembly (including piping):
OEM Side mount intercooler:
RF4P-13-565A
OEM Hot pipe:
0000-88-C57
OEM Cold pipe:
0000-88-C58
Compressor outlet -> hotpipe clamp / hotpipt -> side mount clamp:
0000-88-C85 (x2)
Coldpipe -> throttle body clamp:
0000-88-C86
MSP upper radiator hose:
0000-88-C71
MSP lower radiator hose:
0000-88-C70
NOTE!
I do not have the part numbers for the radiator and the radiator brackets, however you WILL need the following parts as well:
--MSP Radiator
--MSP Radiator brackets (these ARE different from the P5 brackets, the radiator is taller)
--MSP Fans (both)

5/16" hose for water lines -> [This?] It's just a bit bigger in size. The parts says 5/16", and the list on the front page says 3/8"
some hose clamps

the parts list that I have compiled on the first page is strictly pieced together for the parts list that I have compiled...if you are picking up a different kit it may have different parts in it of different sizes, so even though MY list says to use 3/8" hose you may need to run 5/16" hose for the kit you are picking up...this is a list to use as reference in case you want to piece together a kit from scratch, or to piece together different components from scratch (intercooling, water cooling, oil lines, turbo components, etc...etc...)...most of the components on the list will work with OEM msp components

Union -4AN to 1/8 NPT -> what's this?

it's a fitting that is -4AN on one end and 1/8 NPT on the other end...it's to convert between different connections, like a braided SS line to the block for example...AN, NPT, BPST, etc...etc... are all different types of connections that use different thread pitch patterns and different types of compression to seal themselves as you tighten them down for water lines or oil lines...AN and NPT are the most commonly used in turbo kits, but you may encounter BPST or others as well

Oil pan draining fitting -> Anyone have a link for this/is it listed?

this is lined on the first page under the oil supply section:

--For oil return you also have two options:
1. You can utilize the OEM assembly. This would require you to have the Mazdaspeed windage tray, (the girder plate the fits between the oil pan and the block), as well as the OEM oil return plate and gasket...the MSP windage tray is a large piece and is NOT cheap, it is unneeded and a complete waste of money
2. You will take the barbed fitting from ATP turbo and weld it into your oil pan (as high up on the oil pan as possible)...then you will have a rubber hose between the turbo and the welded barbed fitting <------This is the route I choose for the parts list above

Oil fitting BPT to NPT -> Anyone have a link for tihs/listed under different name

you can find all kinds of conversion fittings on ATP Turbo's website, or on other fitting websites...I use ATP turbo because they are local to me so I don't have to pay for shipping, but they are a little more expensive...there are other websites as well but I am blanking on their names right now...just run a google search for npt fittings and you should find something

5/8 Oil hose -> Found this.

ok

some misc small rubber hoses -> makes me think I should just purchase ALL hoses, so I don't miss anything.

those small rubber hoses can be purchased by the foot at autozone...just ask to see the hoses if you are unsure of what size you need and you should be able to eyeball what size you will need there...if you know what size you need it helps but again it's pretty easy to eyeball it if not....the cost is very cheap and again they charge by the foot

That kit looks good on the dyno, but I haven't seen many protege's run it (could be due to the price). I would like to see how that kit held up a few months down the line...

agreed, but alas, it's getting harder and harder to find that kind of information cause the protege is really becoming a dying breed =(

Beginning of the end for me...
DSC02220.jpg

agreed, but alas, it's getting harder and harder to find that kind of information cause the protege is really becoming a dying breed =(

Great point, you kinda made me tear up a bit =(

This is the only full kit I can find (who would actually respond back) what are your opinions on it? ~250 whp @ 8psi.

Back