Thinking of turbocharging your P5? Here's a guide for getting started...

Ok, so I've almost made up my mind. I just have a few questions. I decided to purchase the Turbokits.com protege turbo kit with a T25. So the TSI High flow front mount cooler experiences power loss opposed to a side mount. Would it be significant? But with the front mount intercooler, I won't have to buy the MSP radiator right? The kit also does not come with an oil-cooler. I want to purchase one for peace of mind. Is the MSP oil cooler compatible with the oil-filter-adapter-plate from prosport gauge? I want to mount the oil pressure gauge.

As for the water cooling does the kit provide adequate cooling? Would the MSP three-way fitting provide more efficient cooling? I'm also wondering about boost controllers. The product description lists 6psi. This 6psi setting is adjustible with an electronic boost controller, right? Should I also upgrade to Dual T25 ball bearings for a whopping $400?

Finally, last question! Is this turbo kit gonna fit with an AEM SRI? THAT'S IT, no more questions! YET. Thank you everyone for reading my wall of text. Good luck answering all my questions! PHEW!

Oh and by the way, if I'm just being paranoid and the kit is a strong and reliable setup, please tell me. IF it is, all I need to know is the boost controller compatability and AEM SRI fitment. That is all, thank you

Last edited:
idk enough about that turbo kit to really tell you anything....it's not exactly very descriptive about how it fits up at all, and the installation suggestion of 'professional installation suggested' isn't very positive either

but to answer your other questions:
if you're running 6 psi on a t25 then the fmic will not produce as much power as a smic....however, if you are not as concerned with seeing the max horsepower out of the setup than you can get at 6-10psi then I wouldn't recommend against it since it is much easier to run a fmic than a smic (and it does not heatsoak compared to the smic, which is a plus for a daily driver)

if you get a t25 that is not dual ball bearing then I do not believe it is water cooled, which will make installation easier but it is not as nice of a turbo and may not last as long as a dual ball bearing turbocharger...many argue against that statement, but that's the idea behind the gt series (gt = dual ball bearing turbochargers from garrett)

you do NOT need an oil cooler, plenty of people run without it with absolutely no problems...you also will have trouble getting the adapter plate to bolt up properly if you are running the oil cooler

this kit says that it supplies braided lines for water cooling, however I don't know if it needs that without the ball bearing upgrade...(another reason why I don't like this site)...honestly this site seems very, well, not detailed enough to me...if I were to spend 3 grand on a turbo kit I'd very much like to know as much about it as I can

yes you can INCREASE your boost with a boost controller from 6psi, but you cannot go below the wastegate's pressure level...if the wastegate is a 6 psi wastegate that is the lowest you can go....I would not go above 10 psi (as mentioned multiple times in my writeup and everywhere on this site lol)

as for fitment with an aem sri, I have absolutely no clue if this kit will bolt up to that....my guess is no by the looks of the manifold in that picture (if that is even a picture of the kit that they are advertising)

no worries about the questions, that's what this thread is for

The turbokits.com kit is junk! The EMS they ship with it does not work directly with our ECU's and from what I've heard about the kit very little of of decent qaulity (only the exhaust manifold, I've heard). The MSP oil cooler and Prosport sandwich plate are not compatable.

lol, why does everyone think my screenname is 'neon'? =P

and thanks magnum, I had my doubts about it too

Yo Neon, wazzup dude!! lol

I've been readin and rereadin this thread

boost the Pro5 or buy a miata.....hmmm.....

yeah, but, spare vehichle for when one goes down.......plus topless driving

just talk to the wife about that last point =P

and yea a spare vehicle is nice....but two slow vehicles, or one semi-fast vehicle?

the msp turbo kit is plenty safe, just as long as you take care of it and monitor your boost level and oil level you shouldn't have a problem at all

yeah, BUT, i REALLY want another motorcycle, it just sucks and gets too hot sitting in traffic for an hour or more in the beating sun

So, Miata with A/C is FTW!

If I had more paid down on the Pro5, i'd just trade in for an S2000.....

yea I hear ya on the motorcycle....I too want one REALLY badly

but if I went home with a motorcycle I would be dead...........I'd be safer doing 100+ mph on the freeway than if my mom caught me driving a motorcycle in person lol

I had to sell mine due to nearly passing out from heatstroke on my way home.

I miss it something awful, so i figure a convertable is the next best thing, plus it has A/C

But, anyways, i just cluttered up this thread with useles rabble rabble rabble

I've done some thinking

Well guys, you've been so helpful, but I've come to realize something today. I am a hazard to the public. Today, I ran a red light cause I didn't even bother to check the stoplight. I've been flooring the gas for short bursts and I barely have few months of driving experience. See, I've taken the bus for a long time, about six years. My newfound driving presents me with freedom in such a way that everytime I hit the driver's seat, the urge to enjoy driving hits me hard. And after witnessing some scenarios that could have ended terribly, I've come to the conclusion I need more driving experience before I go turbo. The risks of my reckless driving are just too great. What's a turbo gonna do if I'm sue'd a quarter million, owner of a totalled MP5, and in the hospital? I'm just not responsible a driver yet to drive a 200hp car. However, I will continue research in order to decide for the future!

So anyways, I will buy the oilpan in about a week when I get the money. On top of that, I'll come back to this page periodically to ask questions as they come up. Until then, thanks guys!

One other thing, so the turbokit.com kit isn't too great is it? Well is the other kit decent? If not, I guess I'll resort to the guide, cause now I got all the time in the world to figure out an install procedure.

And uh, thanks again Neox.

that takes a lot of balls to admit that haha, props bro
trust me, turbo is definitely an instigator of bad driving habits...you are very correct lol

yea, steer clear of that kit...I removed it from the guide after hearing from those with more experience with it than I

the other kit is a very nice kit, I've not heard any bad things about it and I do recall seeing multiple members here running it and having great things to say about it....only thing that worries me is it does put you at 246whp which is very borderline for this engine, you should be fine long as you don't push the engine to it's limits on a daily basis and are gentle with the transmission when shifting (shock is what kills it)

246? ... I'm not quite ready to die. Is there a way that you know of to reduce that amount of power? hmmm, Well I'm tired. I'll see you another time. It seems to me just following your guide would work best. I don't think I'de ever need 246whp. OH HEADACHE

yes, you could lower that number by using a smaller pressure rated spring in the external wastegate

my guess is that they are running the small blue spring from tial, because they hit 8.8 psi without a boost controller......you could run any of the following springs from tial to lower that boost level:

small green -- 7.2 psi
small red -- 5.8 psi
small yellow -- 3.6 psi

I'd say if you ran the small red spring you would be just over 200 which is the sweet spot to be in....200 may sound intimidating coming from 100 whp, but it's not that bad

Ok, that sounds terrific. Thanks again for all your help. Talking to you guys has been a wonderful experience. I feel that much closer to my MP5. And to MagnumP5, I don't know how to contact him. The email he sent me says do not respond. So I have no idea how to make the trade with him...

check your private message box in the upper right

I think he sent you a private message and that message you got in your e-mail was just an alert that you got a private message to check here

Hey guys I was curious if may be the oil cooler could be discussed a little more. I'm thinking about going ahead and running one since I have the parts for the oil filter location and coolant line to hook to. I just need a oil cooler and line to run to. I know this is not a necessity, but I feel safer running one especially after talking to a few members

Back