Are broken brackets from Cobbs SRI a common problem?

Lee456

:
Red 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
This may have been beaten to death here but I've tried using search and it always comes up with several hundred hits that aren't about broken brackets. I want an intake with the Amsoil filter. I am trying to order a BEGI but they are out of filters now and I read something here recently about them causing problems with the LTFT due to the lack of an air straightener. After seeing the pictures of the Cobb with an Amsoil filter that looks like it might be a good choice, but I read a long thread a couple days ago about the part of the car that the Cobb attaches to breaking off. That's not surprizing considering the short length of stout tubing that is connecting the fixed filter to the moving engine. In a video of the engine during a dyno run the Cobb filter appeared to be moving about 1/2". Something has to be bending for that to happen.

It looks like a lot of people here are using Cobb SRI's. How common are broken brackets?

Off the subject, will the Amsoil filter fit with a Nano? It looks like it has a better mounting method.

I've read a few posts about this happening. I don't presently have this issue. I think this is mainly do to engine movement. Change out your mounts and you should be fine.

Don't drive your car like it's a space ship ready to launch into space and you'll be just fine like the rest of us who have the Cobb with no problems.

And correction: it's not the bracket that's breaking it's the mounting base from your battery tray that's cracking.

I havent noticed anything so far.. then again I havent looked or even paid attention to anything like that.

I knew it was the battery tray, but I guess I didn't type the question very well. Too bad it's not just the bracket that comes with the Cobb that breaks, becuase it would be real easy to just make a heavier one. Anyway, I pretty much came to the same conclusion about most of them not breaking and ordered one yesterday. It should be here Friday. A good week for the car with the new Turbosmart BOV and the Cobb all in one week!

I knew it was the battery tray, but I guess I didn't type the question very well. Too bad it's not just the bracket that comes with the Cobb that breaks, becuase it would be real easy to just make a heavier one. Anyway, I pretty much came to the same conclusion about most of them not breaking and ordered one yesterday. It should be here Friday. A good week for the car with the new Turbosmart BOV and the Cobb all in one week!

Lee remember to do what I wrote in the reply PM when you get the COBB it will help ALOOOT!

I found a thread that has 20+ people with broken brackets so I took my bracket off last night. Seems fine, it moves only slightly as the intake tube holds it in place quite well. A revised mount would be nice though, perhaps something that mounted to the engine somewhere. I wish I could find that forum again, wasn't m247.

I believe that is the thread that I had seen a couple weeks ago that caused my initial concern about the Cobb. I have also read that it is not a good idea to run it without a bracket. I put mine on a couple days ago and am so pleased the the performance that I wouldn't consider taking it off. Right now I'm thinking about reinforcing the sheet metal that the bracket attaches to by running a fairly thick brace down to the larger bolts that attach the battery box to the body.

when i went to install the bracket only one of the holes lined up so instead of stressing it, I just used the 1 hole as a support and have had no problems.

I was worried about that bracket breaking something also, so I chose the CPE Nano. It has a rubber bushing that seems the absorb the vibration. Since then, I also installed a MM. That also helps to limit engine movement.
I think either the Cobb or CPE will work just fine as long as you don't abuse your car too much.

I was cleaning my MAF today and low and behold...a broken bracket...and i baby my car, so i dont think it has to do with abusing it....besides...who isnt going to drive it hard? Serious.

I was cleaning my MAF today and low and behold...a broken bracket...and i baby my car, so i dont think it has to do with abusing it....besides...who isnt going to drive it hard? Serious.

bummer. Its a horrible mounting spot. Seems like there is now a large number of broken brackets due to the cobb sri. I didn't want to risk it so I run without the bracket period.

Back