Always on power outlet

mambo

I would like to add an always on 12v power outlet to my '08 Mazda 5. I have done this before with an add a circuit but I was curious to hear from other people who may have done this. Any advice on how to do it and where to locate the extra outlet? Thanks

It depends...

What do you want to use it for? Always-On or Ignition-On?

I just had my entire center consule out to extract my Radio and I can say there is space available behind the hand brake and easy to access via the cup holder. You can actual flip that cover off to look around.

BackConsule.png

Also, I believe there is room to the left of the AUX1 input.

FrontConsule.png

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering about space to the left of the Aux jack. Behind the parking brake is another interesting possibility. Has anyone actually added an outlet?

I want an always on outlet because my wife has a tendency of charging her phone in the car and she has had to leave the key on while the car is parked in order to charge her phone. She hasn't drained the battery yet but I know it's only time.

The idea I was going for...

was to order the 12 VDC outlet with cover from a Mazda OEM parts department (ie. Mazda Online) and drill into the front-center console, to the left of the Aux1 jack and mount it there. The trouble is, the wattage you want to run out of this outlet. I think a cell phone is fine, but plugging a AC power inverter, might not be a good idea. I was going to splice into the interior light harness or the radio. I haven't located either of these wires yet, but will and take pictures of the project when I do. I have had the cup holder and power outlet panels off... it was not too tricky. I believe there is space for the new outlet there.

I will post more pics/wire diagrams in the next few days, if I find something on it.

I dont want an extra socket but I do want to change the 12v socket to Permanently live, for a solar maintainer. How do i do that? 2007 mazda 5 1.8 petrol

This depends on the power draw of the device you're planning to plug in.
#6 fuse in the fuse box (labeled CIGAR - accessory port in the front) is rated 15A. If you try to tap into any other fuse in the fusebox, you're risking overloading the circuit you're tapping into.

If the power consumption of your device is low, you can probably get away with two pigtails soldered together, plugged into #7 MIRROR (which is also battery to radio, IIRC) and to #6 in reverse and without a fuse. Basically, reroute the battery to the "cigar" port via this pigtail. You can also add a relay to make this happen only when the car is off to tap a 15A rated circuit into a 7.5A rated supply when everything else is off.

Bottom line: run a wire to a battery, and add a module such as this to make it possible to disconnect this circuit from the battery after a configurable amount of time (i.e., after N hours).

Back