Debate: downshifting vs. braking

shaitsta

:
Mazda, Mazdaspeed3, 2008
Now I dont know what all of you guys do but Im curious to see how many of you guys downshift when slowing down instead of using the brakes.

The way I was taught, I downshift and do not waste the brakes.....but whenever i drive in older people's cars....usually 50 years old or so, they all brake and just put the car in neutral instead of using the gears to slow down.

Let me know what you do...

depends on the situation, but generally i try to downshift once and gradually slow down rather than slamming on the brakes. it just makes sense in my mind.

yeah...well i dont mean slamming on the brakes...but i usually downshift with a little brake mixed in and come to a smooth stop

if you know how to properly downshift do it. if you downshift and drag the clutch don't. brakes are cheap and easy. clutches aren't.

i downshift when slowing into a turn or something. but at stoplights and stuff i coast then brake. in daily driving its pretty equal

i downshift when slowing into a turn or something. but at stoplights and stuff i coast then brake. in daily driving its pretty equal

Yeah, I do about the same thing. Downshift while coming off of a highway exit, but anywhere below 15mph and I'll take it out of gear and use the brakes.

I use a combination of both, depending on how I am driving. Imo, brakes are easy to replace so why not use them. I guess there are going to be drawbacks to both, as well as benefits. If there is no need to drive very aggressively use the brakes. if you need to be in a certain gear when exiting a corner than use the brakes to slow down as you approach and enough to down shift without popping the engine and then shift into the appropriate gear and power through/out of the corner. I think it comes down to a matter of experience and knowledge about ones car and how everything works together to maximize driving efficiency and develop skill. But that is just my opinion.

Ummm lets think about this one...... 70 bucks to replace brakes or untold amounts to fix a transmission. I'll use my breaks for what their designed for.

How about engine braking but without downshifting, then braking when you need? I only downshift when I know I'm going to need a lower gear. That way I spare my clutch and my brakes, plus save gas.

downshifting from 5th to 4th is not going to hurt your transmission...downshifting from 6th to 3rd or 5 to 2nd and revving the engine really high, now that's a different story

Heel toe most of time when i come to a turn or just enuf to slow down so that im in the same speed with the others when the light just turns green and im approaching.
but usually i get into neutral and just coast, and brake really light.

Isnt engine braking bad for the car?? from what ive learned and read they always say never downshift to slow the car down. i was taught heel toe, or just get into neutral and brake then downshift to appropriate gear.

Downshifting won't hurt the tranny. My method is much the same, a mix of downshift and just let the engine slow the car, 'til the brakes are needed.

Isnt engine braking bad for the car?? from what ive learned and read they always say never downshift to slow the car down. i was taught heel toe, or just get into neutral and brake then downshift to appropriate gear.
I find it funny how some people are using the term "heel toe" as if it's some revolutionary new method to not "engine brake" when using "heel toe"...

Sorry but heel toe is still engine braking...........

I find it funny how some people are using the term "heel toe" as if it's some revolutionary new method to not "engine brake" when using "heel toe"...

Sorry but heel toe is still engine braking...........

engine braking yes, but heel-toe is a more efficient and less harmful way of downshifting. So if you can do it correctly, i recommend doing it.

engine braking yes, but heel-toe is a more efficient and less harmful way of downshifting. So if you can do it correctly, i recommend doing it.

i think that was rule of thumb back in the 90's and maybe early 2000....our ms3 clutch should be capable of taking a non-heel toe downshift just fine, as long as you don't dump the clutches, that is a big nono.

i dunno, i dont consider myself old school by any means (im only 24) but i think that heel-toe is just a better way to downshift. i know that mazda will tell you that this clutch and tranny are built to withstand a lot, but if you can go easy on it, why wouldnt you?

Back