2006 MS6 Headlights

WGaston

:
BB RX-8
I was out swapping the headlights in my MS6 today, swapped the parking lights/fogs with Piaa Ion yellow bulbs, that swap went all well and good. But it's when I got to swapping the HID's (Apexcone 55w HID kit 4500k bulbs, full relay harness) that I hit a bump in the road. Electrical work is not my cup of tea, but it's not something I'm completely inept at, most of the time. So here's my question:

Where is the 12v lead to the low-beams to hook up the relay kit to?

Now it may just be that I wasn't thinking clearly, or I was missing something obvious, but any help on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

No one knows where the 12v lead is? Wow, I know some of you have swapped HID's, care to share where you tapped into the original headlight supply?

No one knows where the 12v lead is? Wow, I know some of you have swapped HID's, care to share where you tapped into the original headlight supply?

Silly question, why would you swap a perfectly good factory HID system for a aftermarket system? Am I missing something really silly here? (eyeballs)

I'm not swapping the entire system. I'm swapping the existing 35w HID's, with 55w's, reason being, most of my driving is at night, I am unhappy with the light production of the stock bulbs(I wind up driving on a lot of backroads with poor lighting). So, I'm hoping that these new 55w's will help fix that problem.

To do that swap, it seems like you had to replace the factory ballasts as well? I wish I could help you out, but I'm no electrical genius either. Have you downloaded the service manuals and checked there? Someone posted them a little while ago, and they'd be a great reference for questions like this probably.

Edit: PS, I'd really love to see pictures when you get this project done, I've been sort of considering doing something with the lighting... any chance of a side by side stock bulb / 55w both installed?

Last edited:
Pictures will come, when I get a chance to get back into the job. Been too busy with other things to swap the bulbs. I've looked at the tech manuals, and have come up short. I've gotten as far as testing the leads going into the headlight housing, only to find that when I turn the headlights on, I get 3 hot wires, and when I turn just the parking lights on, I get none. (bang)

OJ, I'll make sure to take the pictures before and after install. Same ISO/f stop/etc., so you can really see the difference. I'll even try to take pictures of where I tapped into the line.

WGaston, I took a quick look through the manuals I had, and I'm not sure if this is any help, but on the off chance that you can pull some info from it, here it is. (not sure if you can tap a source from the running light, or if you can even use that diagram to figure out where the 12v would be by the time it gets where you need it, but it was the closest thing I found)

E: Added a few more pages, just in case... I'm afraid I'm in over my head though.

Attachments

• Mazda6 Workshop Manual 898-899.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 517
  • Mazda6 Workshop Manual 893-894.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Unfortunately, no, no update yet, been buried at work, so much so, that I haven't had a chance to look at the headlights since the first time.

There is a little trick I did in which made the stock one shoot farther.
When I first got the car (and im assuming everyones is like this) is that the headlight switch on the inside was adjusted all the way up. And if you have a load in the trunk you would use the switch to adjust them down.
So what I did was adjust them all the way down and go under the hood and manually adjust the screw to bring them back up where they were. So now when im on back road at night with no traffic I can adjust the headlights upwards and it lights up the road a lot further.

Its on the back side of the housing. Its shaped like an allen head but a phillips head screw driver will do the trick.

buy a circuit test and test the harness going into the headlight, its a oblong weather proof plug. find the 12v switch wire and bypass the factory ballast.

the harness will take care of the rest, also if you bought the ddm kit, ditch the fuse and go buy a good one.

I've been running 55w ballast at 6k for about a year now.

If we already have HIDs the only thing we would have to do is change out the bulbs right? So which ones do we use to change the Fact bulbs?

If I change out my HID bulbs to 6k 35 w I'll be ok but if I want to up the wats I have to get a completely HID kit, right?

Probably, since as Qwik6 said you will need new 55w ballasts, and I'm sure you'd get a better deal buying the bulbs and ballasts together.

I'm kind of curious about this but I know that the MS6 uses D2S hid bulbs. I found replacement D2S bulbs with the HID kit. There 10K deep blue, 35watt bulbs. Will this work and cheaper upgrade vs. getting a completely HID kit?

Replacing the stock bulbs with the same ones at 10k I think would be a down grade. Yea the blue looks great and all but it would put out less light than the stock bulbs. The whiter the light the more it reflects back.

Back