Engine knock on CX-9 GT 2008

Zorba

:
Mazda CX 9 GT
I'd like to report a problem:

Just bought a CX-9 GT and am experiencing a very strange rattle coming from the engine compartment when accelerating very lightly and engine being fully warm (being ran for at least 15min). The rattle is coming during 2000-2300rpm. Below and above that range, the problem does not occur. The rattling noise sounds as if some metal is grinding on one another. I think this problem I am exhibiting is by far, not normal and want to know if anyone can enlighten me.

Symptoms/Conditions:
1. Car must be hot/warm (must be driven for at least 15 minutes)
2. Must be in a drive or reverse direction. Problem does not occur in park or neutral.
3. You have to be accelerating lightly, the engine rattle occurs from 2000rpm - 2300rpm. It's not a tapping or ticking sound but rather a "buzzing" metal to metal grinding.
4. Sounds like the sound is coming from the intake or exhaust systems and the rpm is causing a natural vibration frequency that is causing a metal part to vibrate (or resonate). Could explain
5. The car doesn't seem to be power limited or anything abnormal. Drives just fine - just a rattling sound that I hate to believe is normal!

Today, Saturday, I took car to dealership. Mechanic on duty gave me appointment for Monday morning.
He said that they had a problem before regarding the bearing on timing chain tensioner.

If you drive on a quiet street, without radio on - put it in third gear manual and try to get just over 2000 rpm. Let me know if you hear something?

That sounds to be very suspiciously like a typical exhaust manifold heat shield rattle. I've not experienced it on the CX-9, but have done so on other cars. If this is the case with your CX-9, it should be an easy fix.

Cheers,
TTubrag.

Back