Honda V8 coming... in 2015

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
honda_v8.jpg

"You've got to have the right tool for the job." "You can't bring a knife to a gun-fight." Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. We've heard it all before. Honda makes some excellent engines, there's no doubt about that, from small displacement four-pots that rev through the roof to gloriously smooth and reliable V6 units. Unfortunately, the fun stops there, as the Japanese automaker has steadfastly stuck to its guns, not building an eight-cylinder engine when it can do just as well with fewer pistons.

Regardless of how competent its six may be, nearly all of Honda's competitors offer V8 engines in their top-level models, and Acura fanatics have been begging for a range-topper to compete with the likes of Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz for years. They may soon get their wish, as Honda's CEO Takeo Fukui has stated once and for all that Acura will indeed be getting an eight for its next top-level sedan.

What good is a beefy engine if you can't get the power to the ground? A big, heavy V8 engine over the front tires is a recipe for a horribly unbalanced front-driver, and Honda realizes this. So expect the aforementioned sedan to get rear-wheel-drive to go along with its newfound infusion of displacement. When? Not until 2015 according to some industry sources. That's a veritable eternity in the auto biz, so we have to wonder if Fukui has let the cat out of the bag a bit prematurely.

well it's about time...they have rung just about all they can from a fwd platform...move forward and make progress. I hope it sells well for them.

Honda is known to have great high reving NA engines, high hp/displacement.
They are sticking true to their roots.
They only recently released a turbo-charged vehicle (RDX). The technology isn't out of their reach, so I'd imagine they made a conscious decision to keep their high performance vehicles NA.

they made a conscious decision to keep their high performance vehicles NA.

IMO they made a conscious decision not to have high performance vehicles. However, I won't lie. A V8 that will redline over 10k RPM would be pretty sweet.

10k+ revving v8... are you an idiot. honda wont make that

Sure they will, in my magic fantasyland. They will also put it in a civic. It will be RWD. It will cost 15k with optional LSD and big brake kit. (nana)

yeah a v8 engaging vtec reving at 10k RPM will be music. the new M3s rev pretty high

you're right... but their redline is still 'just' 8,400 rpm.... honda is great at building N/A engines, but so is BMWs M division...

Back in honda world where I came from originally, I rode in civics and tegs with built motors with 11,000 rpm redlines. you don't need that much. still, I wish I could take my MS3 higher than 5,500.....

the power drops off after 5500. it goes to 6500, but theres really no point in taking it that high.

VTEC kicking in on a V-8....i gotta hear that....

okay, say honda sticks to thier guns, and lets say they make it a competative size, IE/ 5 liter....so if the S2000 was 120hp per liter in the 03 model, then per ration and not stepping backwards this "top model" engine could be capable of 600hp with ricer technology and grassroots grunt....but alas, i bet mister gas price will step up and make it a 300hp 33mpg engine.

the name honda is kinda hard to say with v8.

your right, their always optimizinf fuel efficiency on their engines. Its probly gonna shud down all four cylinders until vtec and call it pistec or something(dunno)

So wow, u thought a 4cylinder hitting lift was something, wait till u hear a 4cylinder crossing over to a V8 through a skunk2 catback exhaust.

Back