pioneer F700BT install

rawhit

Hey guys,
my first post here. I have a 2008 Mazda 5 GT. I ordered a pioneer F700bt from 6Ave which hasn't arrived yet. I was planing to do the install myself (I am a complete newbie at this). To complete the install I have also ordered the double din kit from crutch field and mazda 5 wiring harness
Even though I haven't received the components I already have a few questions about the install.
  • How do I place the microphone so that most of the wiring is not visible?
  • How do I draw the wiring for GPS receiver and what would be optimal positiion for it so that most of the wires are not visible but gps receiver still gets the best signal
  • Any recommendation for the backup camera? Pioneer one is too expensive for me and if I don't find a reasonably priced one I might skip it completely
thanks in advance
rawhit

you can place the mic just on top of the steering column and route the wire directly into the cover of that and behind the speedo under the dashboard to the center console.

the gps can be left inside the dashboard, so it is completely invisible but will get all the signal. the signal will not be blocked by the plastik of the dashboard. just make sure that there is no metal sheet above the antenna.

Thanks for the reply mate!
I guess I will have a better idea once I have taken the factory stereo out.

Btw did anyone get one of these aftermarket gps units installed by an installer? How much do these installations typically cost? Just in case I find it all too daunting or get stuck while installing (nervous)
Also would be great if someone can post pics of their install :)

Thanks for the reply mate!
I guess I will have a better idea once I have taken the factory stereo out.

the installation i discribed above will be completely invisible and full functional. what better could it be? (scratch)

I'm in almost the same boat. I just ordered a pioneer AVIC-F90bt but I'm going to shop around for an installer this week. If I don't like the prices I'll consider doing it myself. I'll keep you posted on how much it costs. There is a thread with alot of install info and pictures on double dins here: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123664432

You can find some helpful info on avic411.com also.

Hope this helps.

Remove factory stereo?

Hey guys, thanks for your input :)
I have received the pioneer unit and metra kit. I have also prepared the wiring harness by soldering the F700BT harness and crutchfield mazda5 harness.
Right now I am not sure about how to remove the factory stereo. Crutchfield and metra instructions are for 2006,07 models. I tried calling them but they couldn't provide much info.
The first step in the instructions is to pry out the gear trim but the trim for 2008 models seem to be different.
2008 gear trim looks like this
2008-mazda-5-interior.jpg

where as 2006 looks like this
mazda5interior.jpg

Would really appreciate some help here.
thanks
rawhit

I've received my stereo unit & metra kit as well. haven't contacted an installer yet. I did compare the metra cover with the original on my 2009 M5 and noticed that the colors don't match perfectly. Metra Kit is more silver so I'm gonna see if I can paint either the 2 parts around the shifter or repaint everything so they match.
I've looked into the backup camera also. Pioneer one is pricey. Crutchfield was offering a free license frame one with a stereo order but it has really poor reviews. I'll probably wait til later since it looks to be overkill for now.

camryman, nehvada
thanks for the instructions, it definitely helps! Hopefully I should be able to complete the install by this week.

citruss
atleast for my 08 Mazda5, the metra kit's silver doesn't match well with the interior (which is mostly black and metallic grey). I am not sure how different the 09 model's interior is.
I have painted the metra face plate satin black using krylon fusion for plastic spray paint. Its not perfect but I would definitely take it over the metra's silver version. Also satin black goes better with the F700BT as its not finished in gloss black (F900BT and F90BT have a glossy finish). Will try to post some pics when I am done with the install.

just a (maybe silly) question: why is everybody ordering this kit? mazda offers a perfekt kit in perfectly matching colours which (surprise!) fits perfectly in your mazda5 and is easy to install.

console cover: C291-55-210 (titanium finish for all 2008 and newer models)
mounting kit: CR01V6025

pic of a silver version installed: http://www.mazda-forum.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=2558&d=1213221708

ok, you might save a few bucks, but is it really worth the hassle?

Last edited:
just a (maybe silly) question: why is everybody ordering this kit? mazda offers a perfekt kit in perfectly matching colours which (surprise!) fits perfectly in your mazda5 and is easy to install.

console cover: C291-55-210 (titanium finish for all 2008 and newer models)
mounting kit: CR01V6025

pic of a silver version installed: http://www.mazda-forum.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=2558&d=1213221708

ok, you might save a few bucks, but is it really worth the hassle?

Called my local dealer(US) who says they don't have that option. I gave them the part number and it didn't work either. Might just be in other countries? I'm gonna check with another dealer just to be sure. Seems like they ought to have something like it now that the factory navigation display is where the head unit goes?

cant imagine that, there is plenty of space behind the cover. and the measurements of the front of those units are all the same .

Back