Reverse lights

jonridinhi

:
2001 MP3/2010 MX5/1996 MILLINIA (donor)
My reverse lights stay on 24/7 when the ignition is on. No matter what gear it is in. I have resulted to removing the bulbs. What sends the signal to them and is ther any way of testing it? I think it may be the sensor on the frount of the tranny but i am not sure. Any ideas? (help)

Any ideas? I am that the point where i am going to hard wire it to a toggle switch just to pass inspection?

Which "sensor" are you looking at on the tranny? Make sure you're not getting it mixed up with the speedo sensor. Do you have a wiring diagram or anything? Have you tried replacing the part? I don't like to just throw parts at a car, but it sounds like you need this fixed quick. You could most likely take it back if it doesn't fix the problem. My Haynes is at work, I'll try to remember to look in there tomorrow.

The one on the frount of the tranny and it has 2 wires. I went thro the lack of manuals that i have and there was nothing that indicated to the location or what the sensor reads off of. I think what i see is the speedo but could it be part of that. i got inspection that is due before christmas and i do not want to fail for something that stupid. I was hoping someone has worked on their tranny and knows or had this problem. I appriciate it.

Just get Blue bulbs for it and its all good ha ha

Don't really see how that will help, and also don't get the joke.

Anyway, I checked my Haynes manual, and although it's for the earlier gen proteges, I'm guessing it's the same. The sensor in the front that you see is the correct one. Have you tried disconnecting that sensor to see if the lights go off? There might be a short somewhere along those wires, or the relay could be shorted internally. Do you have a test light or multimeter? One wire should be powered anytime the key is on (forward, not necessarily running). When you put the car in reverse, it should activate that switch/relay in the tranny and send the signal to the lights. Anything in particular happen when you noticed the lights staying on?

nothing i started my car to warm up got out and was like wtf? I thought it was but i can not even find the part in an auto parts store. They have a "relay" and costs 50 bucks and a week to get in so i do not want to buy it till i can tell it is the problem. i am wondering what activates the switch. Relay sounds like it is part of the fuse pannel and that seems to check out.

Get yourself a test light (a few bucks at a parts store). Turn the key forward, but don't start. Put a bulb, or both, back in and disconnect that sensor on the front of the trans. The lights should turn off. Check all of the wiring to make sure there aren't any stripped spots in the insulation. One wire should light the test light with the key on, the other should not. If both wires light the test light, they're touching somewhere. If one lights and the other doesn't, the switch is shorted internally. Replace the switch on the trans.

the switch is a unique part, you're not going to find something like that except from mazda... you can't be cheap when you need a part like this because parts store won't have them!

while we're on the subject....i have a double din with reverse camera, and i need to tie in to the reverse light so it turns the camera on when i put it in reverse.....it gave enough wire to run it to the back bulb, but is there another way to hook it up either in the engine bay or under the dash

if this proves to be the sensor then yes right there. I plan on testing it this weekend cause i think we got it figured out now thanks to the help of others.

Last edited:
Ok i could no wait till the weekend. it is the sensor on the frount of the tranny. There is a 2 plug conector going to it. i unpluged it lights out. Then i hooked up my multi meter and the one is hot when the ignition is "on" an the other is only hot (or supost to be when in reverse. So to answer your question find the hot one when it is turned on and tap into the other one and there will be your 12 volt for your camera. I jumped the two and lights. My sensor is stuck in the closed postion and do not know why but now i got to get a new onw. All the wires looked good going into it. So on the search now. But there is your answer and if you follow that wire back with your new wire and put it into the loom you will never be able to tell

while we're on the subject....i have a double din with reverse camera, and i need to tie in to the reverse light so it turns the camera on when i put it in reverse.....it gave enough wire to run it to the back bulb, but is there another way to hook it up either in the engine bay or under the dash

Read what I wrote in the other posts about testing the wires on the sensor. The one that is not powered by the key (ignition) but is powered when your in reverse is the one you want. Splice into that and you're good to go.

Attachments

• sensor1a.jpg
    sensor1a.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 644
  • sensor 2a.jpg
    sensor 2a.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 642
  • sensor 3.JPG
    sensor 3.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 663
I have a 1998 Mazda Protoge LX and I am having problems with my reverse light not working. I change the switch and check the light bulbs. I checked the connector for voltage and tested the switch in the reverse and neutral position. All work out fine but still no lights. Can you help me with this or can you give me some info on how to hard wire the reverse light switch so I can pass inspection. Is there a separate fuse for the reverse light or connected to other lights that I don't know about. I could not find a label or indication of a fuse related the reverse lights in the Chilton 1998 Repair manual. You support is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Back