2008 Mazda 3 i Touring Winter Steel Wheels

jjlash

I have 2008 Mazda 3 i Touring 2.0L with no TPMS and 17" aluminum wheels. I'd like to put a set of steel wheels and winter tires on. 15" steel wheels fit an 2007 3i but are not offered for the 2008 3i on Tire Rack. Only 15" and 16" aluminums and 16' steels are. The 2007 3i lists the exact same 15" and 16" wheels on Tire Rack, plus 15" and 16" steel wheels are offered whereas the 2008 3i only offers 15" aluminum or 16" steel wheels. The calipers are shown as being the same part number on Rock Auto and the front rotors as shown with a 10.94" diameter / 5 bolt. I know there is a clearance issue with Mazda 3's with the 2.3L since the rotors are 11.81" diameter / 5 Bolt. The 15" steel wheels and tire end up being about $140 cheaper than 15" aluminum or 16" steels sets so it would be nice to go that route. Any help is appreciated.

Since you have the 2.0 I don't see why you couldn't order the 15" steels for the 07my....they should bolt right on.

It's worth a call to tirerack and ask.

I got that....I'm saying that I don't see why the 15" steel wheels for the 07 will not fit the 08, since you have the 2.0. To the best of my knowledge they should but a call to tirerack could confirm yes/no and also why they may not fit.

I did call them. The sales person said he only shows 16" steels for it and cannot guarentee the fit / clearance so essentially you buy them oh well. There were so many different versions of the 3 this year with the value series they are probably going this route to be safe. Tried to reach the dealer but have not been able to get through to the service department.

That sux....I don't think there were any major changes from 07-08 that would warrant the non-use of a 15" steel wheel.

I did contact the Mazda dealer and spoke with the parts department. The 15" steel wheel, PN# 9965P26050, is the same for 07 and 08 for the 2.0L Mazda 3. The rotors are also the same size / PN#. I also verifed this on the http://www.waynemazdafactoryparts.com/ site. So I think I'm going to take a shot at the 15" steels on the Tire Rack.

Just thought I'd followup and let others know that I did purchase the 15" steel wheels with winter tires from the Tire Rack and they fit fine on my 2008 3i Touring value package.

Dropping down from 17's to 15's sounds pretty intense. Wonder how that effected the ground clearance.

I'm only curious because i'm currently eyeing up a 09 i Touring Value and was going to do some seperate winter tires/rims as well.

Dropping down from 17's to 15's sounds pretty intense. Wonder how that effected the ground clearance.

I'm only curious because i'm currently eyeing up a 09 i Touring Value and was going to do some seperate winter tires/rims as well.

Rim size reductions like this for winter tires are usually offset by a taller tire so there should be no drop in the car. Remember for winter tires, the taller the sidewall and the narrow the tread face , the better for traction in snow, wet and ice.

Yeah, the 16" wheels with P205/55QR16 tires are imperceptibly different than the stock ones - I've got them on my car for winter on 16" steel wheels I got from the Tire rack.

Note that you can't put the TPMS sensor on the steelies, so every time you start the car the TPMS light blinks a few times then remains on. You can get the sensor for alloys, but I like the look of steelies for winter and they are cheaper too! :)

Note that the back of my car is down a bit here, but I have a heavy load in it in this pic.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L3swA2fvYQU_f03yZTqqrQ?feat=directlink

Last edited:
Back