Steel wheels + stock lug nuts?

bacarl

Here's a silly question: will the stock lug nuts work safely with steel wheels?

Last edited:
Well they seem to... torqued them onto my snow tires last night and they torqued up nicely.

The reason I asked is because the first time I installed snow tires on my last car, I didn't realize that lugs differed from alloy to steel wheels. I didn't have the OEM lugs, just a splined set from my summer wheels at the time, which I went ahead and used on the steel wheels. Turned out the taper on the base of the nut was all wrong for the steel wheel and in the process of torquing them down, which didn't feel right as it was tightening, I yielded the wheel and probably stretched the lug stud. A few hundred miles later, *pop* went the stud and I had to drive home from Wisconsin with one fewer fasteners on my wheel.

There are 3 different types of lugnut seats: flat, tapered (almost always the same 60 degree taper) and conical.

It's my understanding that *most* steel wheels use the tapered seat, which is the same as what all (modern) mazdas use (again, to my understanding). A quick search says that some hondas and toyotas might use the conical seat... and I'm not really sure what type use the flat seat, but I've never actually seen one. So I'm pretty sure you're okay as you are. The easiest thing would be to pull off one of your lugnuts, and just do a visual check comparing the seat of the nut to the seat on the wheel... should be pretty obvious if they are different.

Back