14,XXX mile report

i've had my car since early january. i've had no real issues, the car has been just fine...my "power" mods are TXS testpipe and Cobb intake, oh, and TXS hybrid valve. i have a pre-ms3 specific Eibach pro-kit, TWM SS and bushings, and the CS inserts for my rear mount. i've had no hiccups or any reason to doubt the stoutness of this car. it loses no oil, it doesn't lose fuel pressure, it handles well, the paint has held up incredibly well.

this car has been great.

i just wanted to post this info because it seems so many people gauge their opinions heavily on what they see on forums and those of us who have no issues don't speak up to offset all the negativity. i know the nature of forums, so i guess this is to be expected, however my car has satisfied my expectations 100% so now everyone knows ; )

same here 12,000 miles 08 speed3 mods are turboxs fmic, fujita cai, hks bov, and SU motor mount. car pulls hard, loving it (idhitit)

Good Day
Purchased 3/10/08 28K, just put new all season on, breaks are less than 20% used, everything perfect, 32 MPG hw 28 city/hwy, still makes the BMW's cry!

After 4000 Mi or roughly 4 months, the car has been perfectly solid. I've kept it stoch and had no issues what so ever save for a bit of clutch-chatter.

I think this thread is a good idea, like builthatch says, a lot of people will take the opinions on the forum into account before they buy the car(me included), so it's nice that they will find a good share of owners who've had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood).

...I hope that after writing this post the car doesn't start to act up lol.

2 weeks, 1000 miles, dash creaks like a mother. Yesterday backing into my driveway I heard a sharp crack when I let out the clutch. No idea what it was, nothing was on the driveway that I ran over. Car seems alright.

Other than that it's great!

This is good to know since I plan on getting a MS3 and I've been driving a trouble prone GTI. From all the research I've done, I haven't seen much negativity at all.

16k Now.
Engine dropped at 3k
Car has been at the dealership over 10 times, with front suspension related issues.

Car is at the dealership as I type this, and I dropped it off almost 2 weeks ago, waiting for Mazda engineer that's already trying to tell me that squeaking suspension is normal for a car with sport suspension.

Forgot to mention they scratched my hood TWICE yes TWICE!

I love this car, and would by another it's just techs at the dealerships are morons, most of them don't know crap just simple stuff. Also I've been going to a dealership that has a mechanic that is number 1 in the whole US.

Well it was nice to vent, I will get back to fighting with the stealership tomorrow.

Also forgot to say that they replaced

Front struts and the whole assembly x2
Control Arms
Sway bar and Sway bar bushing
ALL 4 mounts
There is more I just dont feel like going thru 30 pages of invoices lol....

CAR IS BONE STOCK!

Well it was nice to vent, I will get back to fighting with the stealership tomorrow.

aren't there enough threads with people upset and blowing things out of proportion? you missed the point of this thread as stated in the first post.

oh well...

good luck with your car, regardless (kiss)

possibly get it lemoned? i certainly would not stand for a car going back to the dealer for an issue 3 times, let alone 10.

16k Now.
Engine dropped at 3k
Car has been at the dealership over 10 times, with front suspension related issues.

Car is at the dealership as I type this, and I dropped it off almost 2 weeks ago, waiting for Mazda engineer that's already trying to tell me that squeaking suspension is normal for a car with sport suspension.

Forgot to mention they scratched my hood TWICE yes TWICE!

I love this car, and would by another it's just techs at the dealerships are morons, most of them don't know crap just simple stuff. Also I've been going to a dealership that has a mechanic that is number 1 in the whole US.

That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of. Maybe I shouldn't get a MS3.:(

My 2007 is bone stock. The LF strut went bad(knocking) at 25000 miles, followed by the turbo(smoking) at 26000 miles. My dealer(Kings in Cincinnati) has provided excellent service, but I'm very disappointed that a supposedly beefed-up performance car has required @$2500 worth of warranty repairs before it even hit the 30000 mile mark. And after only one HPDE. I'm flipping it for an E46 or E90 3er the first chance I get...

Last edited:
This is good to know since I plan on getting a MS3 and I've been driving a trouble prone GTI. From all the research I've done, I haven't seen much negativity at all.

I understand where you come from. Before the Speed3, my car was also a Veedub(a 2000 NB), and I know what you mean when you state that it was trouble prone. In my case, my bad experience led me to ignore the idea of purchasing a GTI, which I consider a fun car. I recall discussing this with another member in another thread and he also had a trobublesome VW; there are several of us here from what I've seen.

So far, the Speed3 is exactly what I wanted after such a troublesome experience, in that I've had 0 problems. But a solid car can become a hassle if you have a bad dealership. In my case, my Bugs problems were compounded by this, and from what I read in stockms case, I think that also has a lot to do with his problems, though I might be reading things wrong.

I'd reccomend you also search/ask about the dealership that you intend on using, whatever car you end up choosing. :)

Car has been great, no issues. Dealers are the pain in the butt. I feel like I am always trying to convince them of something they should know already. Examples are the Radio TSB (bass issues) and the dash creak. It is a known issue but somehow I have to prove it actually exists. I have 4k miles on the car and am still excited about it. I make excuses to go drive it. I wish the dealers had the same excitement for their vehicles like I have, if that makes sense.

im just about to 2000 miles and my first oil change but the only complaint i have is with mazda in general.....why would they put sunroofs on a regular 3 but not a speed? we pay more so give us more! haha thats all but i love my car its doin grrrreeeaaaatttt!

also you guys out there with mods, did your warranties get voided or anything? .......when i bought my speed protege which is now my brothers they voided my warrantee over a boost gauge and said it can screw the turbo up. (which is total bulls*** of course)

im just about to 2000 miles and my first oil change but the only complaint i have is with mazda in general.....why would they put sunroofs on a regular 3 but not a speed? we pay more so give us more! haha thats all but i love my car its doin grrrreeeaaaatttt!

They don't have a sunroof in the speed 3 since it would add weight up high, which is bad for handling. Also would allow more flex in the body which is also bad for handling.

'07 here with 13,500miles. Anyone have issue with the dash rattling? Mines been making this sound since the 7k mark. Every little bump big/small it makes that damn noise. Like something is loose and is knocking. (scratch)

'07 here with 13,500miles. Anyone have issue with the dash rattling? Mines been making this sound since the 7k mark. Every little bump big/small it makes that damn noise. Like something is loose and is knocking. (scratch)

check the black plastic cowl under the hood that the wiper arms go through. There is a series of black plastic clips that hold this on, that is the source of your noise. Double sided sticky weather stripping FTW.....

Back