CAI decision time

Phartenajar

:
Mazda, MazdaSpeed 6
I have an '07 MS6 and it is time for me to get a CAI.

I understand Mazdaspeed stopped supplying their CAI. Does anyone have any reliable info on if and when they will have one available again?

I don't care to wait too long. I live in CA, so smog legal is necessary. Is the AEM unit the only one that is smog/50 state legal?

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Jeez, I hope not! My Fujita just arrived today, and I hope it's legal! Really nice piece with excellent installation instructions.

Yeah the intake shouldn't give you any emission issue. As for the mazdaspeed CAI. I doubt it will be released any time soon. Its nice that you can keep it installed for dealer visits (wont void warranty) but imo thats still not worth the price. The intake new is like 300 bucks and you have to pay another 200 or so to have it installed by a certified mazda dealer.

My advice would be just get any aftermarket CAI (they are all pretty similar). They are so easy to install / remove you could just take it off if you ever need to visit dealer. Not to mension they are half the price you would pay for the mazda one.

AEM , Fujita, Injen , CP-E . . .should all be fine.

Just FYI for you non California guys.

A CAI that doesn't come with a CARB (California Air Resources Board) Exemption will cause you to fail the visual inspection portion of any California Smog check. I know they are easy to swap out, but why bother if I don't have to. Also, not that this would affect me, but if a cop suspects foul play (by performance decals, appearance, sound, etc.) he can do a spot inspection and write up tickets for everything he sees. I know a guy that was cheating by registering his car with his mother in Georgia. He got a lot of smog tickets along with his failure to register.

Typically CARB Exempt (50 state legal) parts come with a sticker with a number for your door jamb. If I understand correctly they look up the number on CARB's net and there is a visual description if not pictures so they can id the part properly.

I guess I will get the AEM since I am not seeing any complaints.

Last edited:
Yeah the intake shouldn't give you any emission issue. As for the mazdaspeed CAI. I doubt it will be released any time soon. Its nice that you can keep it installed for dealer visits (wont void warranty) but imo thats still not worth the price. The intake new is like 300 bucks and you have to pay another 200 or so to have it installed by a certified mazda dealer.

My advice would be just get any aftermarket CAI (they are all pretty similar). They are so easy to install / remove you could just take it off if you ever need to visit dealer. Not to mension they are half the price you would pay for the mazda one.

AEM , Fujita, Injen , CP-E . . .should all be fine.

I like the AEM it's 3 inches

I cut it to a SRI for weather

I take it to mazda all the time with that and a VTA HKS SSQV and I still have warranty.

i would go with fujita for CAI , also when i lived in las vegas we could run open headers and cops would not do anything LOL

Back