New Member seeking expert advice.

quinn

Hey guys,

My name is Quinn. I am from CT. I am a huge car/racing enthusiast. I currently own a 91 Turbo Miata, a 99 Miata, a 93 Suburban (tow rig), a 95 Civic SI (daily driver) and a 2007 Intrepid Cruiser Kart w/125cc Parilla Leopard that I race in the class TAG. I am also currently planning to run Spec Miata in the spring of 2009.

I have done some research on the MSP and have really been considering one for a daily driver to replace my Civic. I want to keep a FF car for a daily driver because there is a possibility I might be racing one some day. By owning a variety of cars, I feel that I can better hone my skills for the different driving styles required by FR and FF cars.

My ideal driver is: a great engineered chassis, decent power, good fuel economy, reliability, and cargo space. Which brings me to my dilemma. My current daily drive is an excellent condition 95 Civic SI that is stock with a some good pads, Hankook RS2's, and an alignment. I would love to modifiy it with a swap and LSD, but I am afraid it will get stolen. The MSP is really attractive to me because it has everything I am looking for at a price I am willing to pay.

I have read up on the common issues and am ok with the small things like sway bar bushings, exhaust bolts, wastegate actuators, stereo, etc. The only thing that really concerns me is the long list of people with broken LSD's. Let me stress that I am NOT a drag racer. I am however a road racer and auto x'er. The MSP would not see the track, but the car will be taken to its limits of grip on an almost daily basis and the stock diff will be put to use. I do NOT bang gears, but will shift quickly on occasion. The biggest gripe I have with my Civic is its lack of a differential.

So based on your own experiences with your cars, will I be at risk of breaking the differential?

Are there any other things that would deter me from buying an MSP for a daily driver?

I found a 2003.5 for 8300.00 at a dealer. It has 56k on the clock. There are some bolt-on mods including a boost controller, which I am not fond of, but the dealer said he wouldn't mind if I did a compression test on the motor. I understand that this is going to be a hard car to find stock.

If you read this far, thank you very much. All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are some shots of my current cars. Enjoy (drinks)

Picture088_edit_full_filtered_resiz.jpg

Picture098_edit.jpg

Picture089copy_edit_filtered.jpg

Picture173_edit.jpg

adsi3.jpg

Picture037_edit.jpg

092908177.jpg

IMG_0946_filteredcopy.jpg

Picture002_edit.jpg

l_e5d1953f68f8407ea2f32e204a863ef6.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Nice rides...Besides the things listed the only real big thing I can think of is the LSD which you already know of. Just weld it and be done with it. BTW the price for that MSP is good especially if that's what they have it listed at. You could walk away with it much cheaper.

keep us posted on how the msp looks. that's a pretty good price for the mileage. the msp is defrinitely a capable daily driver. great handling, and basic bolt ons that free up some restricted hp.

if you'd like to see one with some slight mods i live in danbury and have been contemplating selling mine. i have a silver 2003.5 with the basics. customMSP SMIC, corksport exhaust, corksport motor mount inserts, atp wastegate, ground control coilovers, and some other small stuff.

keep us posted on how the msp looks. that's a pretty good price for the mileage. the msp is defrinitely a capable daily driver. great handling, and basic bolt ons that free up some restricted hp.

if you'd like to see one with some slight mods i live in danbury and have been contemplating selling mine. i have a silver 2003.5 with the basics. customMSP SMIC, corksport exhaust, corksport motor mount inserts, atp wastegate, ground control coilovers, and some other small stuff.

That would be great if I could take a look at your car. I am only about 35 minutes away from Danbury.

Update, the price just dropped again on the MSP. I am going to look at it tommorrow. Dealer says the car is in really nice shape and that he will "cut me a great deal if I like it." I Carfaxed the VIN, came back with two fender benders. I hope the car is not busted unibody/suspension wise and that the motor is solid ::fingers crossed::

Back