wheel bearing problem like you have never seen need help ASAP

Shadow102

:
2013 CWP MS3 / 1977 Celica GT
Well let me start off with a little background first. i have done 4 protege wheel bearings thus far and all have gone flawlessly. The car in question right now is my g/f's 03 protege5 without ABS, car has been owned since new at 20miles and the left front of the car has never been damaged or repaired in any way.

The wheel bearing has been going out for the past several months and i finally had time at my shop tonight to fix it. We ordered the bearing from the mazda dealership she used to work for and based off her VIN. After battling some MD rust i got everything apart and pressed the new bearing into the knuckle. I am reusing the old hub because there is nothing wrong with it and i am not paying $160 for a new one. Well here is where the problems start.

The shaft on the old hub does not fit in the old bearing. The shaft diameter is quite a bit larger than the hole in the bearing. We took the hub, bearing, and knuckle over to mazda. We had them put the vin into the computer and checked a second bearing (the ONLY bearing it lists for this car) and same problem the shaft is too large. So maybe there is something wrong with the hub so they pull a brand new hub...the one specific to the VIN. The shaft on this hub is significantly smaller, so problem solved right? WRONG! The inner splines where the axle fit on the new hub is much smaller than the old hub so if i put the new hub in the axle wont fit into the hub.

So at this point mazda didnt know what to do (this is all happening at about 6-6:30 at night so cant really call around) i am stumped, my g/f who worked mazda parts for the better part of a decade has never seen this before, and in the meantime i have a disabled protege holding up my lift at work. There has to be a correct bearing to fit in that knuckle and the hub because i cant be expected to change the whole left suspension to fix a stupid wheel bearing. Anybody seen this or have a part number to help me out. Anything helpful is much appreciated

your post doesn't really make sense... are you saying the new bearing is too small to fit into the original hub? are you sure the wheel bearing was completely pressed off of the hub? wheel bearing removal sometimes means the outer race separates itself from the rest of the unit and the bearings "explode"... this means more work has to be done and the race has to be pressed off of the hub itself

at any rate, what are the part numbers for the s*** you got? its hard to help when what you wrote is incoherent and there's little information to work with

this is what should apply to an 03 P5:
C100-33-060 wheel hub (5 lugs)
B455-33-047D bearing

all of the 03 proteges uses the same front wheel bearing regardless of 5 lug or 4 lug... there is NO wheel bearing seal on the 03s due to a bearing redesign and a knuckle redesign because of past rust issues

Last edited:
your post doesn't really make sense... are you saying the new bearing is too small to fit into the original hub? are you sure the wheel bearing was completely pressed off of the hub? wheel bearing removal sometimes means the outer race separates itself from the rest of the unit and the bearings "explode"... this means more work has to be done and the race has to be pressed off of the hub itself

at any rate, what are the part numbers for the s*** you got? its hard to help when what you wrote is incoherent and there's little information to work with

this is what should apply to an 03 P5:
C100-33-060 wheel hub (5 lugs)
B455-33-047D bearing

all of the 03 proteges uses the same front wheel bearing regardless of 5 lug or 4 lug... there is NO wheel bearing seal on the 03s due to a bearing redesign and a knuckle redesign because of past rust issues

Thats the bearing we got and it is the wrong bearing. The inner diameter of that bearing is wrong. And yes trust me i got the old bearing out. That hub part number is also the one i tested at mazda and your right it fits just fine into that bearing part number but the splines will not fit the axle on the car.

Hmmm, I found nothing incoherent or confusing about your post. It only lacked specific part numbers but was very clear. The shaft didn't fit the new bearing & the splines won't fit a new hub. My question woulda been more along the lines of..........Isn't there a part number you can get from the bearing that came out of the hub that obviously fit both because, hey, it's been in there all this time until it wore out. How bout taking that one to the dealer and just have them go through their wheel bearings until they find one that matches the one that fit? I know, I know, they cannot find any parts without a VIN number right? BS! It'll just be more work.

I hear ya I may end up doing that. I am actually going to go grab the old bearing right now since I am at work and see if there is any possibly way to cross reference the koyo part number on the outer race with a mazda part number.

Ok guys call off the search...I figured out my problem and am going to chaulk this one up to working for 10hrs straight (made 30.9 flat rate hours yesterday) and just having a bad day.

Turned out when I pressed the old bearing out I didn't pay attention to where the hub landed. Being that there were three toyota hubs on the ground I grabbed the one I thought was the mazda hub...yeah aparently I grabbed the toyota one

Aw man that's just krazy, no more help for you, lol. J/K. Glad that's all it was.

...I thought was the mazda hub...yeah aparently I grabbed the toyota one

lol dude, that's hilarious (first) Good thing it didn't fit tho.
Glad it worked out fine, you got lots of us worried -- may be looking towards a bearing replacement myself in the spring.

Lol yeah got it all back together now won't make that mistake again oh well happens to the best of us

Glad you got it back together man, sometimes you just gotta stop, take a deep breath and clear your head.

Back