Humming Sound After Shutting Off Engine

Davicho

:
ZoomZoom
So as you can see I am new to Mazda. I have been an avid Honda dude and I sold my 2003 Accord Coupe and bought me my 2006 MZ5 Touring Auto which I totally love, but there is this odd huming sound that seems to come from the front passenger engine bay area after shutting the engine. The sound goes on for about 10-seconds after turning off the engine everytime and ends with a sound of a valve or flap closing. Does anyone else or has anyone else heard this odd sound and is it something that should get looked at? What is this strange noise? None of my other cars have ever made this noise. Even my wife's 2004 Escape (Tribute) does not make this sound. Any help would be appreciate it, and no, it is not the regular humming sound that the electric power steering makes when engine is on. Thanks!

Should be normal. Observed in my mz52006 GT too. Must me some kind of 'shutdown routine' of the car's computer.

i would guess its the fuel pump... mine(protege5) humms also after turning off the car... if your really curious im sure you could take it to the dealer and they would find out for you... car should be under warranty still

Yeah normal (06 and 08 do it), maybe the catalytic converter or fuel pump shutdown sequence as mentioned earlier...

Now, there is another one, which happens a couple of hours AFTER the car is switched off, very similar sound. I've caught a couple of times @ the garage (scratch)

Coolmazda, if I am not mistaken the sound you hear after a couple of hours may be part of the vapor canister pressure release valve. My Honda's would do it too after a couple of hours. Apparently the emission system continues to operate after shutting down the engine, sort of continues to check the system for faults.

BTW guys, thanks on the humming sound question. I was not really concerned because my MZ5 is running smooth, it was more of a curiosity question to see if everyone's MZ5 does the same thing. Thanks!

Back