Anyone else have their wheel bearings replaced?

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
My wifes CX-9 has only 12k on the odometer and both rear wheel bearings were replaced under warranty. The tech new immediately what the problem is. He said they have replaced them in 3 others. This is a smaller dealership as well, so I assume that this is a quality issue with Mazda.

My wifes CX-9 has only 12k on the odometer and both rear wheel bearings were replaced under warranty. The tech new immediately what the problem is. He said they have replaced them in 3 others. This is a smaller dealership as well, so I assume that this is a quality issue with Mazda.

What were the symptoms?

Just a noise from the back and it seemed to increase as you drive faster. The Mazda always seemed so quite inside the cabin and then this started up. Kind of sounds like driving inside a large 4x4 with big tires.

That is what make me nervous about the CX-9. Again, apparently this is somewhat of a common problem. This is my wifes car and almost 2 years old with only 12k. She drives minimal and with her driving habits I am shocked she had the issue.

2007 CX-9 with 50K all highway miles

We are having the same problem with our CX-9. Although we have higher mileage, it's all highway miles. Everything I've read said that these should last an average of 120k. This is going cost us a little over $900 to be fixed, but I have found that the parts alone should top out at about $50+ a piece. My husband did call Mazda Corporate but did get the brush off stating what the dealership said--normal wear and tear. It seems to be a quality issue to me.

2007 cx9-Needed front wheel bearings-replaced under certified warranty- occured at 38,100 miles. Seems way to early in my non-professional opinion.

I think I am having the same issue. About a month ago I started to notice a vibration and very loud road noise, especially while turning left, and it's gotten progressively worse. I thought it was a warped rim and even had my back tires replaced (which were shot, likely due to this issue), but the sound and vibration remain. I'm at 90K on my 2007 GT and am trying to find alternatives to going to the dealer.

Our CX-9 has a metal on metal, chain-like sound that happens when starting from a stop as well as turning. Our warranty is up in about 1k miles. I wonder if this is the problem.

Unfortunately they use the crappy Ford wheel bearing hub assmebly. I guess since ford owns most of the company its understandable the Mazda uses their parts/distribution network.

I have a 2008 CX-9 and had the driver's side front and rear bearings replaced on my vehicle at 34,000 miles. I bought the car in September 2010 but didn't notice the bearing noise while test driving the vehicle. But after getting used to being in it and driving around, it was obvious that I needed bearings. The sound was almost deafening that increased in volume the faster I drove. At 60 mph on a freeway, I could barely hear myself think. Anyway, the new bearings were installed on just the driver's side and all's well and quiet as a mouse. I pushed the dealer to replace the bearings on the passenger side too but they refused as it was under warranty. They said that Mazda wouldn't pay them for replacing good parts if after review, it was determined that the parts were not defective.

I love my CX-9 but the fact that there are Ford parts in it does concern me. Brake rotors are one of the main disappointments. As soon as my rotors are warped I'll be putting either after market slotted or drilled rotors on myself. I won't let the dealer install OEM parts when it comes to the brakes.

I figure I saved around $1,000 on the bearings and the wheel alignment as well as a tie rod end that was replaced under warranty too. Needless to say I was very grateful to the dealer that did the work. I'll be giving my business to them fo r a while now as a gesture of thanks.

I've had all 4 corners replaced, 2 fronts under warranty at 58,000km and 67,000km. The 2 rears out of warranty at 110,000km. Now it sounds like the right front needs replacing again at 120,000km. Its about a $500 job here in Ottawa at the Mazda Dealer.

Our CX-9 has a metal on metal, chain-like sound that happens when starting from a stop as well as turning. Our warranty is up in about 1k miles. I wonder if this is the problem.

Take that car in right away so you can at least try to get the warranty coverage!

I have a 2007 GT that I just purchased 20 days. The noise from front driver tire started up yesterday (my wife told me today). It sounds like a large 4X4 knobby tire, basically, increases in sound as you accelerate. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow (hopefully). Mileage is 43,000 the good news is the dealer gave me a lifetime drive train warranty and it says the bearings are covered under this, it has a $100 deductible. So in the future if others go bad, it's only $100 a piece.

Well, I didn't realize it, but the bearings are covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain factory warranty, so I will take it in for factory warranty service tomorrow! Still have 1.5 years 18,000 miles left on that part of the warranty!

It is sad to hear of these issues, I have been a Honda person for 20 plus years and never had any issues with my vehicles with over 150K miles on them, other than normal wear issues ie: tires, brakes, oil changes and timing belts at 90K per Honda. But I just had to deal with my front right wheel bearing at 120K miles, and while I was doing my repairs, I investigated the other wheels. Found that the cause of this bearing issue was the Lock Nut method used to retain everything to the Hub. The Locknut is tighten to the hub, torqued and then a dimple is placed to lock it in place. This method of locking it in place, is with time working itself loose from vibration causing the locknut to back out enough to were the forces on the bearing begin to deteriorate it, hence the repair. Now in most vehicles this is not an issue since they use a cotter pin that goes through and locks the nut from ever backing out. This is definately a design flaw from Mazda and I would bet my salary they are aware of it. My back ground, I use to be an ASE Master Tech in the automotive industry and now I am an Engineer, so with that said, when I took the vehicle for repair I was involved a little more than your common owner.

As a side note; Look at the A/C Blower Relay and Remote Start issues both need Relays.

I own a 2007 Mazda CX-9 AWD Touring. I love the car. Just replaced the two rear wheel bearings at 100,000 miles. Symptoms = loud road noise from rear of car, louder when turning left. It cost $720 total for both rear. Originally I thought it was a tire problem.

Back