Thermostat Replacement...please help!

Ethiridos

:
2003 Mazda Proteg LX
Hey everyone,

This morning that I was driving to work something bad happened. I looked at my dash and noticed the battery icon lit on along with the temperature gauge pointing all the way to Hot.(Luckily I was only two blocks away from work) Now, I am sure that my car had plenty of cooling fluid since I checked it last Saturday. So I turned on my heater all the way on high but only cold air was coming in.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I let the car running and opened the hood. The first thing I noticed was that some coolant was leaking through the driver's tire. Well....the reservoir was steaming and the coolant inside was boling...not to mention that it was way past the "Full" or "Max" line. I did not what else to check on so I called my buddy who is a mechanic. He said that since I was not getting any heat it's most likely the Thermostat that decided to stop working. :(

Has anyone replaced this? If so...how hard is it to do? I need to do this today in my lunch hour else I am going to be stranded here. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

It's not that hard, I believe there are two bolts holding on the thermostat housing, but IMO you're gonna have to drain the coolant. Then after you take off the housing for the thermostat, it's right there to replace.

Hey everyone,

This morning that I was driving to work something bad happened. I looked at my dash and noticed the battery icon lit on along with the temperature gauge pointing all the way to Hot.(Luckily I was only two blocks away from work) Now, I am sure that my car had plenty of cooling fluid since I checked it last Saturday. So I turned on my heater all the way on high but only cold air was coming in.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I let the car running and opened the hood. The first thing I noticed was that some coolant was leaking through the driver's tire. Well....the reservoir was steaming and the coolant inside was boling...not to mention that it was way past the "Full" or "Max" line. I did not what else to check on so I called my buddy who is a mechanic. He said that since I was not getting any heat it's most likely the Thermostat that decided to stop working. :(

Has anyone replaced this? If so...how hard is it to do? I need to do this today in my lunch hour else I am going to be stranded here. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. It appears I was missing a belt. The alternator belt snapped and just went on vacation thus my overheating. :(

Had that installed and Proty is fine now. :)

Back