The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

but I get bored at work sometimes...

In other randomness, After many years of a class here and a class there at Columbus State Community College, I'm officially in a "4" year bachelor's degree program at Franklin University. Taking 1 class this winter semester at Franklin and 1 class at Columbus State. Nice thing about the Franklin program is I can transfer 3 years (1 year left for me) worth of classes From Columbus State which is 1/4 the cost. It's been a slow debt free process but I'll probably have to start taking out student loans. Boo.

Thinking of getting some higher temp brake pads on the front for November 1st HPDE at Mid Ohio, any suggestions?

How was Mid Ohio?
Daytona was a lot of fun. I was only there once as a spectator and didn't really take in how incredible the facilities are there. We had unusually warm days of about 90* so I was glad I added an oil cooler before the event. A C7 Z06 in my group blew a tire in Nascar turn 3 and littered the track with carbon fiber, tire bits, the ecu and little electrical boxes as it ripped apart the right front of the car. That was a surprise to have to drive through.

Here's video from my first lap Sunday Morning:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsPULeK32lg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
How was Mid Ohio?
Daytona was a lot of fun. I was only there once as a spectator and didn't really take in how incredible the facilities are there. We had unusually warm days of about 90* so I was glad I added an oil cooler before the event. A C7 Z06 in my group blew a tire in Nascar turn 3 and littered the track with carbon fiber, tire bits, the ecu and little electrical boxes as it ripped apart the right front of the car. That was a surprise to have to drive through.

Here's video from my first lap Sunday Morning:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsPULeK32lg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

How did the car hold up to the punishment?

How did the car hold up to the punishment?

No problems at all. Car has 3000 miles on it now and 4 track days. The only issue is major understeer because I'm still on the factory alignment. I need some front camber and rear toe out to make the car drive the way I like. Debating going up to TTC and adding a big intercooler and coilovers.
The car is crazy heavy at 3300 lbs with me in it, but its fun and makes a great daily driver/baby hauler.

No problems at all. Car has 3000 miles on it now and 4 track days. The only issue is major understeer because I'm still on the factory alignment. I need some front camber and rear toe out to make the car drive the way I like. Debating going up to TTC and adding a big intercooler and coilovers.
The car is crazy heavy at 3300 lbs with me in it, but its fun and makes a great daily driver/baby hauler.

I helped a buddy put in a new CPE front mount in his ST last weekend. After I saw how small the stock IC is, I would change it out in a heartbeat. He was showing ambient temperatures of 160* before, 68* after. I would suggest you do it since you track the car so much.

I auto crossed mine back in September and I really didn't feel a whole lot of understeer except for the stupidly tight 180 at the finish line.

I helped a buddy put in a new CPE front mount in his ST last weekend. After I saw how small the stock IC is, I would change it out in a heartbeat. He was showing ambient temperatures of 160* before, 68* after. I would suggest you do it since you track the car so much.

I auto crossed mine back in September and I really didn't feel a whole lot of understeer except for the stupidly tight 180 at the finish line.

For the intercooler, its really just a classing issue. I am out of points for TTD. I really should have done it with the oil cooler since one step of that install was "remove the intercooler."
Another concern with moving up a class and adding coilovers is I'd be tempted to go with stiff springs, but with a 1 year old riding in it, that might not be a great idea. The roads down here are really nice, with basically no potholes, but in downtown area we have quite a few streets that still use cobblestones and that would really shake him up.

Regarding the handling, the understeer isn't awful compared to most FWD cars, but I like oversteer. And my driving style is kind of "go into the corner too fast, let the back end come out, then floor it" which doesn't work with neutral or understeer. It was interesting that Grassroots Motorsports posted their video from Daytona from their Camaro project and I was the same speed or faster than that car in all of the corners with the Focus. Of course they were way faster than my lap times with more than double the hp.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kfVsfOSbJY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kfVsfOSbJY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know you got the hots for her and all, but come on Nate. (lol2)

Question for you though. Who installed the remote start on your old MSP? Was it AAP?

I know you got the hots for her and all, but come on Nate. (lol2)

Question for you though. Who installed the remote start on your old MSP? Was it AAP?

It's Friday and I haven't posted the video in a while. Auto Additions off Westerville Rd did the bad installation. I will be taking Amber's to Columbus Car Audio to get her's done soon.

Mid Ohio went alright, it could have been worse after all. I did miss 2 sessions because of the AWR oil pan. It started to drip oil onto the exhaust and I was black flagged for smoke not coming out of the exhaust. The carbotech pads were great. Lots of initial bite and fade resistance. I ended up buying the XP10s and 8s. The tires held up much better than my old MS3 did, they barely look any worse for wear. Did you happen to install the AWR pan yourself? I can probably use some tips since I will need to reseal it for next season. I was still getting used to this car, the last time I was on track was in the MS3 last year. I could feel the lightness of the MSP in comparison, but I was still not confident enough driving it at its limit.

Yes, I installed the AWR pan myself. I used silicone to seal it. It always seemed to have a film of oil on it, but never leaked enough to drip. The film could have easily come from somewhere else too, since that engine had 110,000 miles on it, aftermarket oil temp gauge, had been through a few turbo removals and had countless oil changes.

I drive by a tangerine focus st when dropping Kennedy off for preschool...it's a really nice looking car.

Yeah, the 2015 update sold me on it. Although, the dimensions do look funny next to an Audi R8 GT3 car or a Daytona Prototype:
_WOL3751.jpg

1J6A9566.jpg

The Daytona event had a crazy amount of high dollar cars running for a regular season amateur event.

Your blue looks great with the black. I saw someone post on an IMSA Fan board on facebook a lot of pics from Daytona this past weekend. I thought it was some sort of historical races event.

This weekend I finally changed the oil, cleaned the MAF sensors and air filters on both cars. Put the winter wheels on the wagon and noticed my exhaust is starting to come apart at one of the flex pipes which explains the rattle I started hearing. Now the question is to I just replace or upgrade the whole exhaust? Also replaced the battery, it was having trouble starting all week and died on Sunday. Still have cabin filters to attempt.

Car looks great out there, Bill. I'm jelly.

(posting for my 11500 post. tee-hee)

I like it. That attitude is going to get you the 2015 SRC trophy.

I like your style, Martz. But no one can beat me in the SRC. I'm #1, bro.

Excuse list:
REASONS I CAN’T AUTO-X

1. “My drivers license is expired” – Mike
2. “I don’t want to damage my front lip” – MSP member
3. “Not quite finished yet” – Chris
4. “I have to make vinyl for my car club” - Mike
5. “I’m not good at auto-x” - Jess
6. “My turbo is too big” – Jake
7. “I’m sure my pads are eff’ed.” –Francis
8. “My tires are done.” – Dave
9. “ No race worthy car and a bum foot” – Levi
10. Hung over. –Evan and Sho