BIG Water Problem

haveahotcarl

:
2003 Black Mica MSP
First off, sorry about the dramatic story, I'm a little pissed off and need to vent.

So, i was cleaning my car out the other day and discovered that the carpet in the backseat passenger side was a little wet and upon further investigation found that the padding under the carpet was wet as well. I figured it was from a bottle of water that opened up so I pulled up the carpet and dried it out. All was well, or so I thought.

Today I was again going to clean out my car before it gets too cold and just to be sure, I made a little check of the carpet again. Soaked. This time from the bottom up. So, long story shortened, I pulled the passenger seat out and got the carpet up completely on the passenger side. I found water from the front to the back. Now my dilemma is to determine where the water is coming from.

Alright, now the question. What exactly is the black "stuff" that seems to be stuck to the floor. It appears there is water under there and I want to get it out so it doesn't take out the floor. I am assuming it is sound-deadening but I don't want to go ripping stuff up that might be providing some support.

I am open to most ideas to find the source and again, sorry for the long story.

maybe the window trim is bad, and the water is leaking through there.

the black stuff i beleive is just sound deadening.

Turns out it isn't as easy as the weather stripping. I went to the car wash with the carpet pulled up and nothing came around the door. I did however, find the source. It is coming from the passenger footwell on the right side. It appears to be coming out from behind the rubber material (grey) on the firewall.

New question, any idea what could be allowing this in? I don't want to have to rip the whole dash out just yet.

Corrupted seams, sealant or clogged cowling drain. Need to correct that before it gets to the pcm or causes floor pan issues. Start by removing the wipers and the black plastic cowling trim to make sure the drains are not clogged and that water is not just sitting there. Get the water, leaves dirt out if so then blow compressed air to clear. If that is not the source of the water then either the windshield is allowing it in or the firewall seams/sealant is.

same thing was happening to my 04 vw jetta. i jus gave it back to my parents and got me a msp. lol

Alright, found the source. It is coming through a seam. I pulled the passenger splash guard, put a light in there and looked for it on the inside. Sure enough, parts of the seam had light pouring through.

I am going to seal them up again but is there any particular sealant I should use?

3M fast and firm sealer. Look for some at your auto parts store or go to an autobody supply store for it, unless you find an equivalent.

Having same issue currently. I'm gonna try the same steps.

Seattle Weather FTL!

so i sealed off what i could still smells weird so next im gonna pull out both seats and pull up the whole floor and replace all the insulation underneath cuz i think its ****** from the mildew

broken seam

Attachments

• DSC00661.jpg
    DSC00661.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 1,566
We bought the car, used, in August and I smelled something "wet". The guy told me that the car had just been cleaned so that's what the smell was. After awhile I noticed from time to time that the front passenger side floor was wet. Thought maybe it was the kids, water bottle leaked or something. 2 weeks ago, it was slushy outside so I made sure to check the carpet before driving and sure enough, after about 5 minutes, it was soaked. My wheel alignment is also shot as well as a wheel bearing needed replaced. Not sure if its all related. Do any of you know if this is under warranty? The dealership that I am dealing with seem to think that the car has been in an accident while in our possession, which it has not. Not happy with them right now. Thanks for your help

We bought the car, used, in August and I smelled something "wet". The guy told me that the car had just been cleaned so that's what the smell was. After awhile I noticed from time to time that the front passenger side floor was wet. Thought maybe it was the kids, water bottle leaked or something. 2 weeks ago, it was slushy outside so I made sure to check the carpet before driving and sure enough, after about 5 minutes, it was soaked. My wheel alignment is also shot as well as a wheel bearing needed replaced. Not sure if its all related. Do any of you know if this is under warranty? The dealership that I am dealing with seem to think that the car has been in an accident while in our possession, which it has not. Not happy with them right now. Thanks for your help

Unless you or the previous owner has extended warranty then your car is not under warranty now since its only 4 yr and 50k miles I believe.
Try it out at a local shop that you trust.

If you ask me Mazda did a terrible job with the seam sealer!! I’ve never owned a car that leaked so badly! I’m constantly chasing down leaks and sealing this damn thing. I think it would be less time consuming and worth my effort to just get this car striped and seam welded
I’ll keep this one in mind if and most likely when I start to get leaks up front under my feet.
FYI if you ever get leaks in the trunk. Look around the tail lights, filler neck, and the pressure relief thingy in the quarter panel. This is where I had issues

****** right stupid mazda i just sealed the seam on the driver side and its still leaking what the ****? stupid car

Back