Clunk/Click when turning wheels

Clarkbug

:
2003 Protege 5
Hey All.

So I noticed a few weeks back that when I turn the wheels backing into my parking space, there was a dull "clunk" that sounded like sheet metal popping near the center console. It would happen every now and then, and I didnt think much of it.

The other day I was pulling out of a parking garage, and when making a right turn, I can hear a click-click-click sound. I dont have that when turning left.

My thought initially is that I might have a bad CV joint? Would this account for both the clunk and the click? I would have gone towards wheel bearing, but there is no noise when going straight.

Any thoughts? I would like to have an idea of what it could be before I try to buy parts or go see a mechanic.

thread jack? its mine now b****! lol

Dude, I'm having the same problem and I was looking to see if others have experienced it as well.

My steering wheel clicks every time the wheel is turned past the 2:00 & 7:00 o clock position. I had a bad accident a month ago, but did not have this issue before the repair. Now the shop states it did not derive from the accident and therefore I have to pay out of my pocket...for a bad upper u joint in my steering column...something that'll cost me less than <$$800(no)

I aint paying for something a shop caused...any help would be appreciated

You should talk to your insurance company, assuming they paid you to get your car fixed. If its not all the way fixed, take it up with them, and have them fight the shop. Thats what you pay them for!

My problem unfortunately doesnt seem related to the steering wheel, since the clunking doesnt happen every time. Im thinking drivetrain more than steering, but I could be wrong.

Sounds like it could be the CV joints on the drive shafts. Are the boots intact? (no tears or holes? They keep out dirt/keep in the lubricants)

I had a bad accident a month ago, but did not have this issue before the repair.

I got in an accident in the MSP years back, drove it for a few months with the clicking and then I took it to the dealer for some other warranty work and asked about the clicking. They said it was my front axle cracked!

clicked only when taking a very sharp low speed turn.

Called the insurance company and they fixed it.

Hmmm. thats what I figured. Ill have to get my jack out and take a look underneath and see if the boots are torn anywhere.

I might as well fix that exhaust rattle that I have going on as well, Im pretty sure its my heat shield....

So I finally gave up on trying to find this noise and took it to the mechanic. They only work on foreign cars (there was a Ferrari in the service bay when I showed up) and seem to be pretty good at figuring stuff out.

They drove the car around three different times, and put it on the lift to inspect it, and couldnt find anything wrong. They gave it back to me, no charge for the time they spent, and said just drive it until something more noticeable shows up....

Im just hoping it doesnt show up next week, Im driving 800+ miles round trip for Thanksgiving...

I have the same clunking noise. It seems to be coming from the center console / passenger side areas. It happens when I turn but also sometimes when i go over bumps like backing out of a driveway and such. My dealership also told me to wait until something more noticable shows up but the noise is really starting to piss me off and i want to get it fixed but i dont know what it is!

I have the same clunking noise. It seems to be coming from the center console / passenger side areas. It happens when I turn but also sometimes when i go over bumps like backing out of a driveway and such. My dealership also told me to wait until something more noticable shows up but the noise is really starting to piss me off and i want to get it fixed but i dont know what it is!

after the alignment done,mine seems better, and i noticed when the weather get warmer, the clunking noise has gone, but more likely on and off though...

Thread Revival!

So to complete the story of mine above, it turns out it was a bad CV joint after all. The boot let go on my drive from VA to Upstate NY, luckily the joint itself held. I had a hometown shop replace the axle while I was home for Thanksgiving. I no longer take my vehicle to the first one that said they couldnt find anything wrong. I also found out I was missing a lug nut from after they looked at the car, so I guess details arent their thing.

I now have a different issue, that when I am accelerating around a right hand corner, I can feel a pulsing in the steering wheel. I know its not a balance or tire issue, since I just changed from my winter tires to summers. The passenger CV axle and bearing have both been replaced within the past year. Could it be ball joints?

Back