How-to: Make & install your own Mud flaps / guards for less than $5

(dunno)

You did it on the front? But not willing to do it on the back because the car is only 1 month old.

WTF does that mean?(dunno)

To put the flaps on the rear , you need to drill out the rivets that are there.
I am not willing to start drilling into my 1 month old car yet :p

Last edited:
I'm not trying to bash some of these companies that are making mudflaps for our car, but how can they charge 60-70 bucks for these things?? and how are people paying that much?

Well, the companies has to make a profit to stay in business :)
The main difference is that Rally Armor uses Polyurethane plastic on their mud flaps. Polyurethane is not cheap, it is the same material used on the clearbra paint protection film.

The plastic on the waste basket is NOT made out of polyurethane. It is most likely either made out of Polyethylene or Polystyrene. I do not recommend using Polystyrene because they are brittle and not flexible. When you decide on a waste basket, try compressing the sides of the waste basket together, if the plastic is made out of cheap hard/brittle plastic, it will just crack. Do not get that.

Polyethylene is flexible. In my case, I got a Rubbermaid branded waste basket. The plastic is very flexible, I tried bending/flexing it all around itself and it was fine. The plastic resist punctures, cold, cracking, and chemicals. It won't chip or dent or peel. I have used the mud flaps on my car for 11 months now (2008 and now 2009 mazda3). It is still in good condition :)

Last edited:
polyurethane is major expensive. i think to sheet enough material to produce the same mudflaps as rally armor sells is something along the lines of 80 bucks or so. thats a rough approximation but you get the point. to sell mudflaps for 130 isnt all that horrible. given the machine they have to punch the shape/man hours/power it takes and so on....130 ends up being quite reasonable.
its funny to because when I tell people the mudflaps cost me 130 they tell me to get lost and my car is way to high a priority to pay that much for freaking mud flaps. but alas its better to pay 130 for mudflaps instead of having no clearcoat or paint on my rocker panels and rear bumper. or even worse.....pink panels. i see how much they save my car and know i made the right choice to buy IAG's mudflaps. they were super easy to install too. it seemed hard at first but was far easier than i anticipated.
in conclusion from all my rambling, thats how they charge so much.

I'm not trying to bash some of these companies that are making mudflaps for our car, but how can they charge 60-70 bucks for these things?? and how are people paying that much?

off subject...pertaining to your future mod list, get the dp first....awwweeeesssooommmmeeee!!!! lol.

for all the ms6 guys that mightve looked at this post the pdf this guy has of the shape isnt too far off from our cars as well..the hole markings are slightly off but only by a 1/4 inch and the flaps will have to be 1/2 inch or so wider,on the straight edge side. but length wise its good..im trying this, this weekend or next weekend.. ill post here as well as over in the 6 section with the results. im also going to try black diamondplate but i dont think ill like it.

If polyurethane is so expensive, maybe a less expensive alternative could be found to keep the price below 100$. Oh wait, we just did.

Thanks for this post, I plan to save my paint soon as well.

If polyurethane is so expensive, maybe a less expensive alternative could be found to keep the price below 100$. Oh wait, we just did.

Thanks for this post, I plan to save my paint soon as well.

Right. I'd pay $20-30 for some nice flaps (x4) otherwise I'll make some. We used to use rubber stair tread to make our own mud flaps for bicycles and motorcycles.

Cool, I'm gonna use this for front mud flaps for my krazy ass truck. You just don't run accross front mudflaps for a 1982 4wd toyota much anymore, been huntin for awhile. This'll do.

Right. I'd pay $20-30 for some nice flaps (x4) otherwise I'll make some. We used to use rubber stair tread to make our own mud flaps for bicycles and motorcycles.

sorry your not getting nice mudflaps for 20-30 bills. thats less expensive then walmart brand. lol. you get trashcan flap for 20-30 dollars. lol.

just did it..my dad was making fun of me while i was doing it.. haha but i think they came out and look good!

Last edited:
just did this came out awsome lokes oem just how i like it good job on the instructions and the template was good to only pain was cutting it out

when I print out the PDF, it doesn't print out right on the page? The scale is 100% and it seems to get cut off. I want to do this though.

really ... $50 for mud flaps ... really

$50 for mud flaps is a bit much. Granted they are made out of very good material and yes rally armor has constructed a very nice kit that makes it fairly easy to install these on your car. But really $50 bucks that's nearly two full tanks of gas. I would rather spend a couple hours on a Saturday making my own mudflaps. Then spend the $50 on gas and go on a PCH or canyon run.

Back