HID Rear License Plate Lense

SRH_3GT

:
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Hey Folks,

I wanted to know if anyone has changed their white license plate lights to a Xenon HID type? Having a Grand Touring Mazda 3s hatchback, I would like to add a xenon style to the back plate lights. If you have a question about it, look at the rear plate lights on Lexus vehicles. The New ones have them. (2thumbs)

I don't have the HID lights on mine but I did replace the lights with bright LEDs and I like the way they look. it looks really cool going down the road because it lights up the area right under the bumper. that's my 2 cents.

(plus, it seems like too much work to go to HID for something so small)

what would be the purpose of having HID lights on the license plate?

1)they would be costly
2)they would blind the people behind you
3) an LED is just as bright, but not as intrusive
4) an LED is cheaper

The vehicles I've been behind are not bright or blinding. To me, they are cool looking. Yes, they are not cheap. The Lexus models are wired in and cost over $800.00. I would at least like to get some LED lights for the rear bumper over the plate. Thats it. I just need to get the buld size and do a google search.

Do they even make h.i.d. kits for those small ass lights? haha. I thought h.i.d.s are l.e.d.s but on a bigger scale with a lot more light.

I got mine from pep boys, they are single bulb l.e.d.s, the same ones that go in most side markers lights. The cost me 10 bucks...

.....stupid leds

Im pretty sure that he doesn't mean 35Watt HID's. He has probably seen a white LED (cold white LEDs usually have a colour temp of 6,000k) in the plate.

I did replace mine and I LOVE the look. It def. completes the look if you are running 6,000k HIDs.
I would show you a pic, but I only have a bad cell phone pic.

Bulb number is:
License plate

Here is a link to a LED bulb in plate. Now I realize it is not a Mazda. But it looks very similar. Pictures tend to make the colour more blue than it appears in life.

http://www.umnitza.com/albums/IONLicensePlateLights/ledv2g.jpg

Hope that helped.

Cheers,
Dennis

Yes, I'm quite sure that the OP means LED's.
I did mine and it does look great. The only thing is the LED's came with two different colors - one is a warm white and one is a cool white so it looks a bit wonky if you really concentrate on it. I am in the process of getting another set.
In case you're interested, I also changed out my reverse lights with super bright white LED's and they totally rock! I love looking out my rear window and seeing the white-white color of the reverse lights when I'm backing up.
If you're really interested, you should go full scale LED (which I also did) - signal lights, interior lights, reverse lights, and license plate lights. You'll never go back again.
And for some reason my friend tells me that the LED lights are less harsh on the baby's eyes at night. Go figure.

Cool white.
They're not at all like HID's you know. They are basically like those LED Christmas lights you can get. They can come in all of those colors - red, blue, green, purple, as well as cool and warm white. It's not like they work with a 'temperature' rating like the HID's do.

I know, but I know they make HID match halogen bulbs. So I figured maybe they make HID match LEDs.

Cool white.
They're not at all like HID's you know. They are basically like those LED Christmas lights you can get. They can come in all of those colors - red, blue, green, purple, as well as cool and warm white. It's not like they work with a 'temperature' rating like the HID's do.

That is exactly it.

Some will say HID white, or super bright....they usually mean cool white, which is an almost 100% match to your 5000-6000k

yeah some uninformed people in here..

they dont make HIDs that small. the lexus have LEDs.

HID uses gas bulbs, LED's are just light emitting diods. no filaments or gas that burns, which is why they use less power, and produce less heat.

Back