Oil change/fumoto valve

cccx9

:
CX-9 Touring
I put my fumoto valve on after draining the oil on my first oil change a few months ago. Today I'm doing my second oil change and went to use my fancy fumoto valve for the first time.

I'm all excited because I don't have to get tools out or jack the car or anything. I put my drain pan under the valve and open the valve up.

Trickle trickle trickle. It comes out very very slow. About 1/4 as fast as removing the drain plug. I'm not that patient and I can't wait an hour for my oil to drain out. I removed the valve and let it drain. Then I put my stock drain plug back on. (notcool)

Is everyone's fumoto valve so slow??

I put my fumoto valve on after draining the oil on my first oil change a few months ago. Today I'm doing my second oil change and went to use my fancy fumoto valve for the first time.

I'm all excited because I don't have to get tools out or jack the car or anything. I put my drain pan under the valve and open the valve up.

Trickle trickle trickle. It comes out very very slow. About 1/4 as fast as removing the drain plug. I'm not that patient and I can't wait an hour for my oil to drain out. I removed the valve and let it drain. Then I put my stock drain plug back on. (notcool)

Is everyone's fumoto valve so slow??

Did you take the cover off the oil fill cover or remove the oil filter first? Otherwise you'll get a vacuum which would cause this.

Yes I removed the oil cap, it did not help. Once I removed the fumoto valve it flowed freely.

I contacted Fumoto and they said it takes 15-20 minutes to drain the oil using their product. Is this what every one sees?

I think I'd rather take 1 min to remove the drain plug and then wait 5 min for the oil to drain. Much quicker.

I have done one oil change with the fumoto valve on and noticed the slowness as well. It does not bother me; i just do something else.

Ok, I guess I'm just impatient. I'll just use the oem drain plug.

If anyone wants to buy slightly used fumoto valve, pm me.

The drain plug isn't hard to undo and it lets the oil flow nicely. I don't see the need for adding another part in the way.

Well since there's no need to jack the CX-9, adding the valve would allow oil changes w/o any tools. Just one less step. Too bad I can't stand to wait 20-30 min for the oil to drain.

Did you warm the motor up before changing the oil? This will help it drain faster and helps get more of the old oil out before adding the new. I had a fumoto on a Miata and presently have one on my 2006 Mustang. The oil always drained quickly (3-4 minutes). I usually drink a cold one while letting the oil drain.;)

Well since there's no need to jack the CX-9, adding the valve would allow oil changes w/o any tools. Just one less step. Too bad I can't stand to wait 20-30 min for the oil to drain.

I rotate my tires on the same schedule as the oil change (6,000-7,500 miles), so I have to jack the vehicle up. It also allows me to get under the car too look everything over.

any clearance issues with fumoto? Should I get the standard one ? I had these on 3 other cars by the way and toally love these. Never going back to stock drain plug. It drains a bit slower ...so what :)

My VW CC spoils me when it comes to oil changes. VW uses a special no-drip filter and puts the filter on the top of the engine. I already have an oil extraction pump for my boat so I just warm the engine up, push the extractor tube down the dipstick tube, give the extractor 15 pumps and spend the next 5 minutes finding my oil, filter and funnel. Spin the old filter off, new filter on and fill her back up with oil. No crawling under the car and no oil filter leaking oil all over the car and my arm. A little dirt on my finger tips from spinning of the filter and that's it. A few guys have pulled the drain plug after using the extractors and I guess it does a really good job getting all the oil.

At least with the CX-9 I can reach the filter and drain plug without needing ramps. Not as easily as my old Expedition that had so much clearance I could almost crawl under it on my hands and knees though. In typical Ford fashion the oil filter on the CX-9 is located in a way it guarantees oil spills on parts of the car while spinning it off, same as my Expedition.

Last edited:
The Fumato valve points towards the back of the vehicle so it does not hang down.

That's odd that it drains slow. The one on my diesel drains fast and it has to drain 3 gallons!
Guess I'll see for myself, I ordered on for my F-150 and the CX9.

Have them on both my Mazdas. Combined with about 12" of clear plastic tubing that fits on the opening, it's the easiest way to change oil. Just put the tube directly in the oil recycling container. While it drains I check other things on the car, wiper fluid, brake fluid, power steering, etc., and give the engine bay a quick wipedown.

Guys, I ordered fumoto 106 according to amazon's fitting guide...obviously doesn't fit...what's the actual model I need for cx 9?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Guys, I ordered fumoto 106 according to amazon's fitting guide...obviously doesn't fit...what's the actual model I need for cx 9?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Contact Fumoto customer service. Had the exact same thing happen. They shipped me a new one along with a prepaid envelope to send the wrong one back. It was top notch the way it was handled on their end. Here's the email exchange I had with them (start at the bottom and go up - it's from Mozilla Thunderbird, sorry).

Hi,

Thank you for confirming your address. We shipped out the F-107 today. Note: You will find a return envelope/package with postage already paid. Please send us back the F-106 and on the package please reference RMA# XXXX. Thank you for choosing Fumoto!

Best Regards,

Matt

fea logo
Matthew Benjamin
Fumoto Engineering of America, Inc.
3330 Industrial Drive
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Phone: (707) 545-7020
Toll Free: (800) 918-3406
Fax: (707) 546-1910
E-mail: sales@fumotousa.com
Web: www.fumotousa.com

On 4/16/2015 2:07 PM, REDACTED wrote:
> My address is
>
> REDACTED
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 16, 2015, at 11:16 AM, Matthew Benjamin <sales@fumotousa.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for sending the additional information we requested. What we would like to do is set up an exchange through us. We will send you the correct valve (the F-107) along with a return envelope already paid for so you can simply send us back the F-106. Please confirm your ship to address and we will get that sent out right away. We will look for your reply,

Regards,

Matthew Benjamin

fea logo
Matthew Benjamin
Fumoto Engineering of America, Inc.
3330 Industrial Drive
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Phone: (707) 545-7020
Toll Free: (800) 918-3406
Fax: (707) 546-1910
E-mail: sales@fumotousa.com
Web: www.fumotousa.com

On 4/16/2015 6:33 AM, REDACTED wrote:
> I bought it from qwikvalve through Amazon.com on Feb 18th.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 15, 2015, at 3:00 PM, Matthew Benjamin <sales@fumotousa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for contacting us. In order to better assist you we need to know whether you purchased directly from us or someone else. Regardless we want to make things right by you so please let us know asap. We look forward to your reply.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Matthew Benjamin
>>
>>
>> <Purple Arrow - .6 inch width -1.jpg>
>> Matthew Benjamin
>> Fumoto Engineering of America, Inc.
>> 3330 Industrial Drive
>> Santa Rosa, CA 95403
>> Phone: (707) 545-7020
>> Toll Free: (800) 918-3406
>> Fax: (707) 546-1910
>> E-mail: sales@fumotousa.com
>> Web: www.fumotousa.com
>>
>> On 4/14/2015 7:54 PM, REDACTED wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe your product fit guide has an error. I purchased a valve for my 2014 Mazda CX-9. According to your site it specs F106. The threads do not fit. You may want to update your fit guide and please advise as to what part number does fit. I know of people using F107 in prior model year CX-9 and the engine is still the same as far as i know. Thank you for your time.
>>>
>>>

Back