Defective Interior Metallic Door Handle

I suggest you call them and let them know you are bringing in the car "once" to have this replaced under warranty. This will give them a chance to order the part and get it shipped to the service department before your arrival.

Does the paint have to be "peeling" or will scratches warrant replacement of these parts? I don't have any peeling but do have many scratches. Emailed my salesguy today and sent him a copy of the TSB and asked him to order the parts so I would only have to make one trip to the dealership.

update...since my 08 has 60k on it, the service dept is not replacing. I would have to pay $433 parts + labor to fix. This is only for a "new car warranty", 36K and under. Anyone know where to buy these besides the stealership? I really don't want to pay $60-70 bucks each to replace. I've Googled but no luck.

Last edited:
Having same issues on both front doors of my '08 GT at 13000 miles. Plan to discuss soon when I stop in at Sharretts in Hagerstown. Have a copy of the TSB in the console. Will update status after my visit.

Update:
Stopped in today with TSB in hand and parts were ordered and will arrive mid-week.

No questions asked.

2009cx9

Scratched panel wasn't getting replaced by dealer today. He wanted $73 plus $40 labor to replace. I told him that his answer was unacceptable and I would call Mazda directly.

Twenty minutes later, after I left, he calls me to say that it is on order and be replaced under warranty!

It's websites like this one which gives the consumer the upper hand.

Thanks

2009cx9

Scratched panel wasn't getting replaced by dealer today. He wanted $73 plus $40 labor to replace. I told him that his answer was unacceptable and I would call Mazda directly.

Twenty minutes later, after I left, he calls me to say that it is on order and be replaced under warranty!

Thanks

NYC - What's your mileage? Just curious - thanks

2009cx9

Thanks

I would write a letter to the CEO of North America and let they know how dishonest the dealer is....

CEO of North America??? Obama? Queen Elizabeth? Felipe Calderon? I don't think neither one of them can do anything about nyc1dxo's issue. Perhaps CEO of Mazda North America, James J. O'Sullivan can help him though...LOL!

Last edited:
Same problem here, I'm located in Canada, showed the dealer the TSB but they couldnt find it in their system as this TSB listed here is US, but the dealer is willing to replace it no problem, later when I picked up my vehicle from service the dealer showed me that they found the TSB for Canada , it was under a different number.

I have a 2009 CX-9 that has a VIN within the VIN range that the TSB listed. I bought mine in late December of 2009 and was aware of the silver trim issue, so I have been super-overly protective of it the last year and a half. Yesterday my wife had the car and scratched the driver's side trim really badly with her ring I guess. I proceeded today and contacted the Mazda dealership about the issue. In the service request form I referenced the TSB by number and told them the part numbers mentioned in the bulletin so they could pre-order the parts. I got a call back from them saying that I would first have to bring it in and the service manager would have to confirm that the damage is applicable to the TSB and he told me that they would only fix the trim piece with the damage. I told him that didn't make sense since Mazda has confirmed there to be a defective paint issue. He said there wasn't anything he could do. Unfortunately I didn't buy my CX-9 at this dealership so I can't talk to my salesperson. The dealership I got mine from went out of business about a year ago and this dealership took over service for it. Also, I have a scratch on the passenger side console trim piece, but it isn't as big. I asked if that could get replaced and he said the bulletin didn't cover damage to that piece. I live in the KC area, so I have a few different Mazda dealerships.. so I have emailed another dealership that is farther away to see if they are first friendlier and easier to work with. So far I am NOT happy with Mazda about this.

Back