Passenger headlight not working.

So I was coming home from the YMCA last night and happened to pass a local county Sheriff who was sitting on the side of the road. Checked my speed and everything was cool.... or so I thought. The Sheriff pulls out behind me and fired up the lights and pulled me over.

She lets me know that my passenger side headlight is out and gives me a warning for it. I thought it was odd that it was out (2006 Mazda5 w/60k miles on it), but it's entirely possible.

Today I went to get some replacement bulbs and spent about 20 minutes trying to get that damn clip off to get the bulb out. I finally remove it and see that it looks perfectly fine. I plug in the new bulb and turn on the headlights and get nothing.

At this point I don't have a volt meter with me to check and see if I get 12 volts at the end of the plug. If I do, what's the next step in troubleshooting? I've checked both fuses under the hood for the low beams and they appear fine. At first I didn't think that was the issue because the drivers side headlight is working without a problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:
Disregard. Turns out I wasn't using the adapter from the old bulb to the new ones which is why I couldn't get anything working. I've since replaced both bulbs and everything is fine.

headlights out on various cars...

Lately, I've noticed many new cars with burnt out headlights. And several of them were Mazda 3's. There are not enough 5's around for me to notice if there is an issue as I only see about one 5 a day.

Saw a smart car today with a burnt out light.

I wonder what it is about certain cars and headlights. I find that they last a very long time.

Back