How-To: Replace Mazda5 Rear Wiper Blade

Thank you everyone for the tips on what to do with the 5's rear wiper problem. Now it won't be such of a problem when it needs replaced.

good info in here. was looking for a solution to fix the problem of the wiper not cleaning the top half of the windshield. turns out the blade that was on there was an aftermarket one. at first i thought the spring in the arm was worn so i bent it a bit to put more pressure on the window, that didn't work. like i said, turns out it was the blade. i swapped it for the mazda6 oem rear wiper from my protege5 and it worked fine. comparing the two side by side the oem plastic section in the middle of the blade is much thinner, and allows much more flex. with the mazda oem blade on there it works fine (other than the fact that the rubber insert is worn, and i bought a refill pack of 2 24" pieces for 6 bucks) but at least the whole rear window gets clean now. i put the aftermarket blade on the protege5, with a touch of dremel love it works just fine as the window has less of a curve in it.

Never though installing replacement wiper inserts is such a problem for any car. I will need to replace mine soon even as it leaves a lot of streaks and the top 20% does not get cleaned. I think they are the original blades. I've used it perhaps ~6 times in the 9-10 months that I've had the car. Nonetheless, it is annoying if it does not do what it is suppose to.

Questions, has anyone tried bending the two metal insert/guide rails so that is curves a tad more? Bending these two narrow metal insert/guide rails on the top side(!), since you can insert them either way, will help apply more force up top. Just a though, never done it or had the need to do it. Will try when I replace mine unless someone else does it first and report back.

Yep, had the same problem with a non-OEM blade. I hauled out the old OEM part out of the garbage, switched the old rubber wiper re-fill with the new one from the after market blade I bought, and problem solved. In the future, I will follow the advise of intewedem and save some $$$. BTW, if your blade needs replacing, go for the gusto and get an OEM model because the after market ones have a design flaw that causes the annoying half-wipe scenario.

Rear Wiper Blade replacement Mazda5 2012/2013

Here are some photos of the Trico 12A replacement rear wiper blade I just installed on our 2012 Mazda5.

Thanks to the photos thugus posted, I could easily remove the snap-on cover.

Trico 12A is the right size for the rubber blade.
16359834_large.jpg

The easiest way to get the old rubber insert out of the blade is through the "long" side of the arm.
16359833_large.jpg

I dismantled the Trico assembly and the factory wiper. Then I transferred the Mazda steel inserts to the Trico rubber insert - then the whole thing to the Mazda arm. The idea behind this was to retain the "spring" and curvature of the original wiper - the Trico kit would not wipe the upper section of the glass.
16359835_large.jpg

I also request this be made a sticky

To help people out, can anyone confirm what the part numbers are on the inside of the OEM wiper arm so we know if we have one or not? Dealer near me wanted $16.99 but is out of them

The one that I have currently has: PET-GF30 0745-1 and PET-GF30 0744-3

The Trico I bought has: 91499-501 and 91500-501

EDIT: I swapped the Trico blade with the old blade and kept the old arm and inserts and it is working just fine for me

Last edited:
Noob report

I just registered for this forum to reply to this thread. My wife an I bought a preowned 2006 Mazda 5 over a year ago. I read the fist page of the thread and then went to a local Pep Boys but they didn't have the refills, just the complete blades, and no Trico. Proline has three 12" models. The one that worked was the "12-2" 300mm blade, for $9.99:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/46259/01487/
http://prolinewipers.com/install_videos.htm

Of course being a heard head I didn't pay attention to the included instructions and when trying to put the new blade on, I broke a could of the little flat tabs on the head of the blade holder arm. (pissed)! Hopefully the tension of the arm will be enough to keep it in place.

The only other 12" blade I saw there was from Rain-X. I couldn't see the whole blade but what I could see was very different from my old blade, and it was $10.99.

EDIT: The Proline brand is apparently sold exclusively through Pep Boys

Last edited:
This is a very helpful thread. My '14 MZ5 most likely had the original rear wiper blade and rubber until this morning. Wiped so-so. Local dealer has wiper blades on sale this month. Somehow the Mazda OEM part (C247-67-330) which is a 12 inch blade was not in stock. But they had Mitsubishi part# MN127768 as they stock Mitsubishi OEM parts & accessories too. Was told it was identical to Mazda C247-67-330 -- just a repackaged item essentially. I don't know if it is but looks very similar and works great. I kept the old blade just in case. According to this thread, Trico 12-A, which is widely available including at Amazon.com, may not work perfectly even though the rubber should be the right fit for the OEM blade. May use the original blade with fresh rubber for next replacement.

I once replaced my rear wiper with the "replacement" blade you can find at Advance Auto. But it never really wiped the window well. It would always miss the upper third. I bought another OEM blade from the dealer the following year and it worked perfectly.

I just replaced the insert with one out of a wiper I got at Prime Choice and it wipes the whole rear window as it should :) It was like $10cad (so like $7us :p ) and didn't give me any issues

I am so glad there is a forum to cover this issue, since the Mazda5 user manual skipped an important step: Taking off the plastic cover over the axle mentioned in diogenes's post. I was befuddled by my inability to raise the wiper arm without that step.

Attached below are pictures on how to remove the plastic cover. Simply pull apart slightly where the red arrows are, and the cover should come off. The rest matches the manual.

Have fun!

Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful. I just bought a used 2015 Madza5

I love this. Simple and is an actual modification. I'll try this tonight. Thanks @Indelibility

I can confirm the heating and bending of the wiper arm like @indelibilty suggests. Great advice.

2 years now and still loving the top of the rear wiper clearing the rain off the rear window.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, I have found that

NAPA Exact Fit Rear Rear Wiper Blade 12 in​

Part #: WIP 6012A

works great as a replacement wiper for my 2008 sport.

Just wanted to pass the info along.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back