VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How-To: Replace Mazda5 Rear Wiper Blade

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual

It's easy!

Hello everyone,

My rear windshield wiper blade finally had the biscuit. It's two years and 72,000km old. The blade was torn from the outer end and it just wasn't doing a good job.

Thanks for the excellend description of how to get the cap of the base of the wiper so that you can extend it out enough to get it off. The video showed exactly what you need to do (even though it's for a Toyota Highlander - the Mazda 5 is the same). Thanks Davebert.

I spent $6 at Canadian Tire and got their exact replacement blade (12A). Yes it's a perfect fit, but the arm is not designed to flex as much as the original Mazda one and it didn't wipe the top of the window. So I took the rubber and the two metal strips out of the new arm, installed them in the old arm and it works fine

So after that, I now agree with intewedm. Just purchase a long rubber replacement blade, cut to length, and use with the original Mazda metal strips and arm and you are set.

I did it today in -10C. The cover for the base came off easily, I was able to extend the arm outward fully, the blade came off easily, and I installed the new blade in the house. Reverse order had it back on in 5 min. No one should panic about their rear wiper. It is as easy to replace as the front ones are once you know the process.

Watch the video!

Quote Originally Posted by switz View Post
    Hello everyone,

I spent $6 at Canadian Tire and got their exact replacement blade (12A). Yes it's a perfect fit, but the arm is not designed to flex as much as the original Mazda one and it didn't wipe the top of the window. So I took the rubber and the two metal strips out of the new arm, installed them in the old arm and it works fine
    I did the same thing, the Canadian Tire replacement 12A wiper would not clean the top 2 inches of the rear glass. I try to bend the 12A plastic wiper body with a heat gun but ended up cracking it. So, I ended up putting the new blade in to the original wiper body. Next time I will just replace the blade.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport

Sweeet thread.....My rear wiper needs to be replaced but wasnt sure how it came off...Good to know I can just get a replacement blade and not the whole thing. Thanks again

Registered Member

DO NOT BUY THE TRICO 12A!!!!! JUST REPLACE THE INSERT!!!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!

Sorry to yell but I'm really PO'd.

About 3 weeks ago I took a quick glance at this thread and read that the 12A is a perfect match. I took the rear wiper arm off and went to the local auto parts store - after comparing it to the 12A I trashed my blade there at the store. $15.

Of course after installation it wasn't working right. Since it's my wife's car she only mentioned in the past week that it's not wiping correctly.

Now I have to go to the Mazda dealership to get another OEM blade.

OP: PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FIRST POST TO WARN LATER READERS!

Thanks.

2008 Mazda5 Sport

Thumbs up Great Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by thugus View Post
    Attached below are pictures on how to remove the plastic cover. Simply pull apart slightly where the red arrows are, and the cover should come off. The rest matches the manual.
    Great pictures and very helpful.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

Perhaps without rear spoiler, my rear wiper can never keep the rear window clean since day one. Good thing I don't rely on center mirror for rear vision.

I just bought a NAPA teflon wiper refill and cut to factory length without much problem. The only difference is the new insert is a bit loose. Factor metal inserts are the non-locking type (unlike front wipers'). The next time I'll cut the refill a bit longer to keep it from sliding.

Will report later on the performance of teflon refill.
    2007 5 Sport AT

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege Heavily Modified

FYI. I just bought an OEM blade from Mazda for around $12 CAD.

Registered Member

Thugus, very kind of you to post these photos, thanks!

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

I have this add-on that helps with rear vision when its too cold to even break the ice that engulfs the rear wiper blades. trimmed to suit that particular
    location that is the least obstructed..

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport

I replaced mine, and I kept the original arm and it still doesnt get that area unless it wasnt the factory one that was on there...yeah well.

Exclamation Not sure what happened / Mine works great

Quote Originally Posted by twentysixtwo View Post
    DO NOT BUY THE TRICO 12A!!!!! JUST REPLACE THE INSERT!!!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!

Sorry to yell but I'm really PO'd.

About 3 weeks ago I took a quick glance at this thread and read that the 12A is a perfect match. I took the rear wiper arm off and went to the local auto parts store - after comparing it to the 12A I trashed my blade there at the store. $15.

Of course after installation it wasn't working right. Since it's my wife's car she only mentioned in the past week that it's not wiping correctly.

Now I have to go to the Mazda dealership to get another OEM blade.

OP: PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FIRST POST TO WARN LATER READERS!

Thanks.
    You must have encountered something unique... The Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral 12-A works great and the install is easy - you don't have to take off the arm so I suspect something went terribly wrong with your experience.

PS: Not that anyone needs two of them but there's a rebate on them right now thru 5-15-2010. I got mine online.
    First Time Caller, Long Time Listener, Great Topic, Love The Show...Thanks For Taking My Call (bolt)

2006 Mazda 5

Well, I'm on my second replacement and the wiper still does not clean the upper half of the rear window, I've just leaned to live with it..... didn't think about going to the stealer, might be my next trip......
    dfskinner
    If you don't know where you want to go....
    "Then it doesn't much matter how you get there"
    (2006 Mazada 5)

07 Galaxy Gray AT Mazda5 GT

Port Moody / Metro Vancouver / BC / Canada
    Bumping an old thread, but thought I'd just let everyone know that I wished I had thread this before replacing and throwing away my old wiper blade!!!

the new 12A is now only wiping half the window...

Then, since I bought my car used, I thought the spring in the assembly was worn out, so I ordered a new wiper arm (about $30), but said no to the wiper blade section beacuse I just bought one...

I guess it's off the the dealer to get another blade...

Mazda Convert

08 Mazda 5 GT

I agree, this needs to be stickied. Bought the Trico, only half the window being wiped. Old OEM blade gone in garbage already.

Registered Member

Mazda5

I replaced my rear wiper arm with one from a Protege5 (Part # B25H-67-421) then got a standard 13" RainX wiper blade from Autozone. Sure, it doesn't look as "pretty" as the aerodynamic one, but it works! It still misses about 1" right above the wiper motor shaft, but every where else it works great.
    Last edited by dclyon; 03-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast