How-To: Replace Mazda5 Rear Wiper Blade

diogenes

First, obtain a Trico 12A wiper arm -- this one is an exact replacement for the rear wiper blade on the 2006 Mazda5 (and I think all the rest, too). (UPDATE -- Many users report that the 12A blade doesn't curve to fit the window, leaving half of it unwiped. So either use a Mazda blade or slip the wiper insert out of the Trico 12A and put it in the Mazda blade, after you remove it (see below.))

Second, pull out the sides of the plastic guard over the base of the wiper arm (the axle, if you will) then lift it up and away from the wiper arm to remove.

This should allow you to lift the wiper arm up and away from the glass. There will be some resistance, then it will get past a detent and lift further away from the glass.

Then bend back the wiper blade and pop it off the axle that holds it. There are pictures in the directions for the Trico 12A.

Snap on the new wiper blade.

Fold the wiper arm back down to the glass.

Replace the plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm by fitting it over the axle and squeezing in the sides until they click in place.

Done.

Last edited:
Mazda5 rear wiper blade

Instead of buying an expensive blade assembly, I bought a single 22" refill for $3.49 and cut the length I needed and installed it. That gives me TWO refills for that price! You have to be sure to get the same type of refill that is the same width. It has a separate wire down each side, so I slide the rubber in first and then inserted each wire separately. Slick as snot and cheap!(drinks)

Instead of buying an expensive blade assembly, I bought a single 22" refill for $3.49 and cut the length I needed and installed it. That gives me TWO refills for that price! You have to be sure to get the same type of refill that is the same width. It has a separate wire down each side, so I slide the rubber in first and then inserted each wire separately. Slick as snot and cheap!(drinks)

When people post these help how-tos, it might help to post pics along with it.

A pic tells a thousand tales as they say

Wiper Blade Arm

I recently replaced my rear wiper blade arm and found that while the new one fit, because of the design, when the wiper is at the 12 o'clock position, the upper third of the blade doesn't contact the glass.

I've discovered that the smaller bow that holds the center of the blade interferes with the clip that holds the new arm and blade. I'm going to try to cut out a channel in the new arm to accommodate this, which I know will fix it, but does anyone know if you HAVE to replace the arm with an OEM?

grugster, same here, it's not wrapping around the curve of the window, which is causing it to not clean the very top of the rear window..... let me know how your mod goes..... take some pic's if it goes well..... I've messed around with the arm also, I'm not sure why it's not working the way the OEM worked.......

Last edited:
Post #2 answers it. Just replace the blade and not the entire plastic piece. Replacement blades are much cheaper!

I just replaced my rear wiper too, and I'm getting that same problem of the upper half not working properly.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the original part because I broke it trying to get it off, so I don't have the option of just replacing the rubber piece.

Believe me, I was tempted to just replace the blade, after struggling for about 20 minutes trying to get the darned arm to lift off of the glass. Why is every little thing so darned hard with this car? Have you ever tried to replace any of the light bulbs?

But anyway, I finally did force the old wiper off and broke it. So now how do I fix it?

As requested, pictures!

I am so glad there is a forum to cover this issue, since the Mazda5 user manual skipped an important step: Taking off the plastic cover over the axle mentioned in diogenes's post. I was befuddled by my inability to raise the wiper arm without that step.

Attached below are pictures on how to remove the plastic cover. Simply pull apart slightly where the red arrows are, and the cover should come off. The rest matches the manual.

Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_7622_edit.JPG
    IMG_7622_edit.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 6,276
  • IMG_7623.JPG
    IMG_7623.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 6,268
  • IMG_7624.JPG
    IMG_7624.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 6,479
  • IMG_7625.JPG
    IMG_7625.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 5,608
  • IMG_7627.JPG
    IMG_7627.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 5,849
cancoi,

A. Is your car used or new?

B. Provide any additional details like,

1. Accident car
2. where you live, is your car a north America, USA or Canada
3. Pictures of YOUR wiper blade and assembly, pictures are worth 1000 words.

C. Are you using the wrong blade?

D. Who else have you contacted concerning this issue?

Here is what I think:

1. Used M5, and previous owner bought a cheap ass blade or assembly and slapped it on there.

2. Now that it is cold that assembly will not move as well, i.e. rust, dirt or grime is stuck in the assembly (NOT THE BLADE)

3. Or you've changed blades only, and the assembly is shot from dirt etc.

Hope that helps, but you're going to have to help US help YOU. there are so many variables, it's hard to fix when you say... "Don't work, please fix."

Peace!(rei)

Here is a "doozie" for you all...

I bought a brand new 2009 Mazda5 GS (Canadian version) near Montreal.

That day it was raining. Went on the highway, the dirt got on the hatch window, put the wipers on, and the top section does not get wiped (top 2 lines of the defrost).

What can be done to fix this?

Here is a "doozie" for you all...

I bought a brand new 2009 Mazda5 GS (Canadian version) near Montreal.

That day it was raining. Went on the highway, the dirt got on the hatch window, put the wipers on, and the top section does not get wiped (top 2 lines of the defrost).

What can be done to fix this?

The rear wiper on the M5 is essential because the hatch window accumulates water and dirt when driving instead of clearing it.
Check the wiper blade, it can also be the spring in the arm not applying enough pressure. But the car is new, shouldn't it be still under warranty?

PS: There are a few members that are from around the Montreal area including myself.

Check the wiper blade, it can also be the spring in the arm not applying enough pressure. But the car is new, shouldn't it be still under warranty?

Hi,

I have spoken with the dealer - and they seem to be looking for an easy way out. They start by saying that ALL M5's do this, then say it's aerodynamics and end up saying that the wipers work and they have good spring pressure.

I'm going to another dealer for a "second opinion" (group)

PS: There are a few members that are from around the Montreal area including myself.

Cool!!! We have to get a group together one of these weekends to exchange on our M5's.... what do you think?

It's easy!

Hello everyone,

My rear windshield wiper blade finally had the biscuit. It's two years and 72,000km old. The blade was torn from the outer end and it just wasn't doing a good job.

Thanks for the excellend description of how to get the cap of the base of the wiper so that you can extend it out enough to get it off. The video showed exactly what you need to do (even though it's for a Toyota Highlander - the Mazda 5 is the same). Thanks Davebert.

I spent $6 at Canadian Tire and got their exact replacement blade (12A). Yes it's a perfect fit, but the arm is not designed to flex as much as the original Mazda one and it didn't wipe the top of the window. So I took the rubber and the two metal strips out of the new arm, installed them in the old arm and it works fine :)

So after that, I now agree with intewedm. Just purchase a long rubber replacement blade, cut to length, and use with the original Mazda metal strips and arm and you are set.

I did it today in -10C. The cover for the base came off easily, I was able to extend the arm outward fully, the blade came off easily, and I installed the new blade in the house. Reverse order had it back on in 5 min. No one should panic about their rear wiper. It is as easy to replace as the front ones are once you know the process.

Watch the video!

Hello everyone,

I spent $6 at Canadian Tire and got their exact replacement blade (12A). Yes it's a perfect fit, but the arm is not designed to flex as much as the original Mazda one and it didn't wipe the top of the window. So I took the rubber and the two metal strips out of the new arm, installed them in the old arm and it works fine :)

I did the same thing, the Canadian Tire replacement 12A wiper would not clean the top 2 inches of the rear glass. I try to bend the 12A plastic wiper body with a heat gun but ended up cracking it. So, I ended up putting the new blade in to the original wiper body. Next time I will just replace the blade.

Sweeet thread.....My rear wiper needs to be replaced but wasnt sure how it came off...Good to know I can just get a replacement blade and not the whole thing. Thanks again

DO NOT BUY THE TRICO 12A!!!!! JUST REPLACE THE INSERT!!!!!

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!

Sorry to yell but I'm really PO'd.

About 3 weeks ago I took a quick glance at this thread and read that the 12A is a perfect match. I took the rear wiper arm off and went to the local auto parts store - after comparing it to the 12A I trashed my blade there at the store. $15.

Of course after installation it wasn't working right. Since it's my wife's car she only mentioned in the past week that it's not wiping correctly.

Now I have to go to the Mazda dealership to get another OEM blade.

OP: PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FIRST POST TO WARN LATER READERS!

Thanks.

Great Pictures

Attached below are pictures on how to remove the plastic cover. Simply pull apart slightly where the red arrows are, and the cover should come off. The rest matches the manual.

Great pictures and very helpful.

Back