TPMS sensitivity?

camrycev6

:
MS3 - sport
All,

I have about 20K on my car and I experienced something new today. It was about 45 F outside, and as I started to drive away, my TPMS light came on. I stopped at a local gas station, got out my tire gauge and started checking around. The RR,LR, and RF were all 29-30 psi each. (Cold temp reading.)

The LF was 26 psi. I filled it to 30 and the light went out. Is that normal? I they really that sensitive? I guess that is good, but I never expected that.

Yeah the TPMS considers 26 pretty low. I would consider that pretty low myself anyways. Your system seems to be doing it's job well, and not being overly sensitive.

keep an eye on it ... i had same thoughts first time mine went off and the last few times. Every time I had the dealer check sure enough slow leak.

You want sensitive. Try 30psi. I really see no point in this system. Some will say it is an added safety feature. I say it replaces basic maintenance that we as car owners should be doing. I check my tire pressures weekly. I do not like how sensitive this system is when the weather is changing.

Yeah the TPMS considers 26 pretty low. I would consider that pretty low myself anyways. Your system seems to be doing it's job well, and not being overly sensitive.

I do appreciate the sensitivity, although I wouldn't consider a cold temp of 26 psi too low. Low...yes, but after it warms up it would be around 28-29 psi which is a little low. (10% off normal.)

You want sensitive. Try 30psi. I really see no point in this system. Some will say it is an added safety feature. I say it replaces basic maintenance that we as car owners should be doing. I check my tire pressures weekly. I do not like how sensitive this system is when the weather is changing.

Really? 30? I guess they are calibrated differently. That is just way too much sensitivity. You tires should be around 30 psi cold. It would seem that would set the TPMS off frequently. (Unless you never have cold tires.)

Tires are supposed to be 32psi cold. I run mine at 36F/35R and lately with the temps, they've dropped down to 33F/32R cold. I got fantastic gas mileage at 36/35. Hell i even bumped it up a degree on front and rear.

FWIW, I put more pressure in the front since the front wheels and tires carry a majority of the weight (ie. Engine, Trans).

What's the exact weight bias on this car anyhow?

Really? 30? I guess they are calibrated differently. That is just way too much sensitivity. You tires should be around 30 psi cold. It would seem that would set the TPMS off frequently. (Unless you never have cold tires.)

Monday morning temp was around 45 degrees.

When I check them again this morning @ 39 degrees my tire pressure was fine.

Tires are supposed to be 32psi cold. I run mine at 36F/35R and lately with the temps, they've dropped down to 33F/32R cold. I got fantastic gas mileage at 36/35. Hell i even bumped it up a degree on front and rear.

FWIW, I put more pressure in the front since the front wheels and tires carry a majority of the weight (ie. Engine, Trans).

What's the exact weight bias on this car anyhow?

I stand corrected. (Thanks for teaching me wrong on this one dad!) 32 cold is correct. Regardless, I still don't think the TPMS light should be going off at 30 cold. (Like for Kurt.)

According to the door placard, it's 34F/32R. The weight distribution is 63/37, I believe. My Chrysler complains if the tires get 3# low when cold.

make sure you have a good gauge and a few readings (i'm guessing we all do that)

Yep... I actually carry two tire gauges on my car. (I have three total... )

When I said 32 cold was correct, what I was really trying to say is that the OEM pressure is rated based on a "cold" reading. The OEM pressure could be anything. I realize most passenger vehicle tires are rated around 32, however, I once ruined a set of OEM tires on a 1998 Camry because I made that assumption... They were supposed to be 45. They lasted about as half of long as they should have...

Man these cold temps and low tire psi has my mpg in the shitter. I need to up the psi back up to 35.

I run 35/34 all the time, don't check them more than once a month (I've gone 5 or 6 months before) and only had a TPMS alarm one morning after I drove almost 100 yards on a tire that had fallen to about 10PSI over night from a nail puncture.
My MS3 is an early '07 -- could the newer ones be more sensitive? Seems like there must be some difference, but I've only had that one tire fall below 30PSI.

Back