Dual vs Single Catback

coyfish

Ive already got a dual 3 inch GHL catback but I was just wondering if most people get single or dual exhaust. Single is cheaper and yields more power. Any known benefits of dual? does the dual sound better or different than the single?

Ive already got a dual 3 inch GHL catback but I was just wondering if most people get single or dual exhaust.

Good, stay with it.

Single is cheaper and yields more power.
What makes you think this?

Any known benefits of dual? does the dual sound better or different than the single?
I say the duals are a bit quieter and definitely sound better. This is purely subjective...

I have heard "car guys" from all different backgrounds say single exhausts make more power, then again, I have heard people at exhaust shops and other car guys (but not as many) claim there is no loss in a dual setup. I think there is no reason to go single on a MS6. You already have a nice exhaust and those tips look sweet! I wanted a MS6 but could only afford a loan on a brand new car and since they didn't make the 6 anymore I got the MS3.

Side note, not trying to thread jack, thinking it might be unique to go dual exhaust on my speed3.... does anyone have any evidence to support a different sound from dual exhaust or a quieter exhaust from having two tips??

Yeah im not sure if there is a power decrease in dual cat but im sure if there was, it would be very minimal. Basic reasoning for this is the best exhaust is the most direct / easiest flow . . . dual tips have a Y in the middle which may hinder flow.

My GHL fits in the stock tips so you cant really see them so even if I got the single you couldn't really tell unless you got really close. Your right though it would look bad if you got a single magnaflow sticking out (magnaflow doesnt fit in stock tips).

Yeah i almost got the speed 3 but I got REALLY lucky. Found a new 07 speed 6 that dealer practically gave away (got it for 24k after 4k rebate and discount). Fully loaded GT (except navi).

Thanks for the responses

I think rather than saying that a single-exit catback makes more power, your sources might have meant that a dual-exit catback doesn't really make any extra power.

The speed6 is only a 4-banger, so it only has a single header, and all exhaust gasses are routed through a single pipe for much of the exhaust, so splitting it up at the mufflers is more of a cosmetic touch than anything else. I would be pretty surprised if there was any measurable performance difference between a well-designed single and and a well-designed dual exhaust.

From an aesthetic aspect though, there's no doubt that a dual exhaust is going to look better on the speed6, and could very well be made quieter since you have two mufflers, each handling half the exhaust gas.

Also, lestat, I've seen a few mazda3 hatches (no MS3s though) with a dual exhaust setup. Personally, I think it can be made to look quite nice:
show_image.pl

Thanks for your responses. Yeah dement thats what I meant about the dual exit. Catbacks really add no significant power anyway. But the dual mufflers must definately be quieter than single exit. My setup is perfect, not too loud, but louder than stock, and never drones. Guess im glad i paid the extra 300 for the extra tip.

Back