MS6 Fluid Notes & DIY Pictures

What can they do during an oil change that is so bad anyway??? The drop the oil pan, drain the oil, stick the new oil in right in front of you, and rebolt it back up. And check your other fluid levels / oil filter.

I've heard stories of them taking a hole saw to the splash guard, putting 2 o-rings on the filter cover, not tightening the drain plug enough.

DIY oil changes are just a good peace of mind for me. If you're competent enough, you won't have any trouble.

Has anyone tried Royal Purple gear oil or manual transmisson fluid on their car? I saw some at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They seem a little more pricier than Redline or Amsoil. I was thinking of trying it out but I wanted to see if anyone here has used them before.

I just ordered a Stage 2 STS with bushings, short boot. Also redline tranny and gear fluids. Thanks for this write up

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Royal Purple gear oil or manual transmisson fluid on their car? I saw some at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They seem a little more pricier than Redline or Amsoil. I was thinking of trying it out but I wanted to see if anyone here has used them before.

Just be sure that it is the right type of fluid. most of the royal purple gear oil that I have seen in my local parts store is not recomended for use with synchros. From my research, the best stuff for transmissions is made by ford believe it or not. That stuff will not be stocked at the parts store, but you can get it form your local ford dealership. Its really expensive though. hope this helps.

I've heard stories of them taking a hole saw to the splash guard, putting 2 o-rings on the filter cover, not tightening the drain plug enough.

DIY oil changes are just a good peace of mind for me. If you're competent enough, you won't have any trouble.

I've heard the same stories from the MS3 and MS6 folks. Easy enough to do yourself. Plus I am always wondering about the oil I'm getting. They never use individual bottles, but thopse oil drum with a hose attachment. Who knows what is in those drums?

Just be sure that it is the right type of fluid. most of the royal purple gear oil that I have seen in my local parts store is not recomended for use with synchros. From my research, the best stuff for transmissions is made by ford believe it or not. That stuff will not be stocked at the parts store, but you can get it form your local ford dealership. Its really expensive though. hope this helps.

.....so what is the "right type" of Royal Purple??? I just put that in my trans tonight. I really don't want to have to, literally, flush $50 of fluid down the drain... :(

I put in the stuff that's GL-4 compatible 75w90...

.....so what is the "right type" of Royal Purple??? I just put that in my trans tonight. I really don't want to have to, literally, flush $50 of fluid down the drain... :(

I put in the stuff that's GL-4 compatible 75w90...

I would have to go look, but 75w90 is used for more that trans fluid and some of the 75w90 is not good with synchros. It will say on the container if it is okay to be used with synchros. I think the stuff you have to stay away from is called "max gear" oil. Hope this helps.

OK, so I can't find Redline products ANYWHERE but online, so I'm thinking about going with the Mobil 1 75W-90 for the tranny. That's what the DEALER SERVICE DEPARTMENT told me to put in. They also told me that GL-5 is fine, that it is compatible with GL-4.

True? False?

not real sure what your question is. however what fluids and where they go is thoroughly covered on the first page of this thread. i've personally corroborated the info with the workshop manual.

i went with amsoil. you can get everything plus the pump for around a hundered bucks. you will need the pump for sure.

Use the GL4, which is designed to be gentle to gold metals like brass synchros.

Many a parts counter guy will do their best to sell you the GL5, saying things like "supercedes the GL4" and/or "replaces GL4 for all uses". Nevertheless, there is a reason Mazda specs GL4 for the tranny and GL5 for the rear diff. In my reasearch this was backed up by my Amsoil rep, who suggested the same GL4 & GL5 package as spec'd above. Wasn't even a question for him, it was as simple as "Lube for a manual tranny, you need GL4."

quoted from post # 6 in this thread

yeah, that's my confusion. The dealer service guys told me GL5 is OK, but that's not what I'm reading on here. I wanted to do it this weekend, but I think I'll order redline off amazon and do it later.

Dealer service guys are not necessarily the smartest bunch of people either...
they put 5w20 in my car the only oil change i've ever had them do, and then tried to tell me that it was the correct oil, until i showed them the owners manual that says 5w30 only...

Nothing like a good ole' case of RTM!

Guys, no matter what people tell you, I highly suggest you go open your glovebox and read what the manual says for this stuff. Equipping yourself with the knowledge is the best way to do it.

I did read the manual, but when the dealer service department says GL5 is compatible with GL4, it makes me wonder.

sounds like, for you then, best bet is to expand your search for info and reach a conclusion based on info found further than my "trust me".

the bobistheoilguy site is always good

Look at the amsoil website & find your local rep-
you'll be talking to somebody who has the option to offer both, and has the motivation to provide the best alternative for the specific application, not to mention the ability to detail why based on product formulation and performance history.

I've known a few amsoil reps over the years and have found them all to be rather disturbingly informed on the subject.

I'm happy with my research & what I originally posted, and honestly the first thing I thought when I read your post was "Wonder about your "Service" dept?" The Mazda spec remains GL4 for the 6 speed transmission used in the Speed6 for both 2006 & 2007, along with GL5 in the PTO & rear diff.

Last edited:
Back