MS6 Fluid Notes & DIY Pictures

hello, 46k here and just now aware of this tranny/diff oil change. help me out here.

what does PTO mean?

tunersteve you still offering a discount on amsoil? i thought i seen a post about it.

and thanks for all the info so far. most helpful.

PTO = power take off (transfer case).

You at least need to do your rear diff, which is the easiest of the bunch. I did my trans. as well, and the only problem I saw was the frame brace close to the drain plug that gets soaked by the fluid.

I do have a 1 yr. preferred customer account, but I don't know if I'm allowed to pursue that without AMM/AV status.

hey thanks.

i'll just order from the website. i think i'm just gonna do all 3 since it'll be up on jacks and all.

i can feel the tranny winding up and down a lot. but i suppose thats just from the AWR tranny mount.

not sure if anyone's confirmed the bolt sizes yet but here goes. just did the rear diff. thanks to all for this thread it was much helpful.

r.diff drain plug is indeed 24 mm. and the refill plug is indeed 23 mm. i'll post the size of the other ones soon.

i updated the first post with the confirmed bolt sizes

I need to replace my all gear lubes. Should i go with the 80w90 for the PTO & RD or 75w90? And should i add, AMSOIL Slip Lock Differential Additive to the RD.

Tranny
3 Redline tranny fluid. Mt-90 75w90 AL-4

Transfer case & Rear Differential
3 AMSOIL Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube Product Code: AGLQT
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agl.aspx

1 AMSOIL Slip Lock Differential Additive Product Code: ADATB-EA
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ada.aspx

80w90, no additives.

Last edited:
i have to change my oils in the rear diff and pto real soon and wondering what mobil 1 products can i use for this?

i'm confused because they say 80w-90 and then say to use amsoil 75-90. Mobil 1 has both 75W and 80W so which should i use

WTF! i'm having a hell of a time getting more than half a quart in the pto without it spilling out the refill hole. any ideas?

got it figured out. just gotta go kinda slow and push the pipe from the pump as far in the pto fill hole as possible.

i also have some other plug sizes.

PTO drain plug is 24mm and refill plug is 23mm.

any ideas on how to get the drain plug off the tranny. pretty tight in there. hard to get anything i got in there. guess i need a swivel or shallow socket.

Well i ended using mobil 1 75w90 LS and it works great. Feels alot smoother!

ok,
both plugs on the tranny are indeed 24mm.

i feel good.... having contributed to such a useful thread. thanks again to all who helped. i've upgraded to all AMSOIL juices.

how did you end up getting the fill plug out? box wrench?

yep box wrench. only thing that i could get in there. leave the fill plug in and it will come out slower and not get all over that frame piece.

hey guys, does this look like a good pump to use for putting in fluids?

Attachments

• 55274.jpg
    55274.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 533
where do you guys recommend getting oil changes. Everyone screams to stay away from jiffy lube or mobil one lube stop, etc. I could always take it to the dealer but I would rather not with my mods. And im also bringing my own oil. There is a sears, firestone auto service place, and a midas near me. Are those techs any better than the quick stop lube places??

Im probably going to have my tires rotated while im there since ive never done that and im at 19K miles.

its all about trust. i personally don't trust anyone, but i have a coworker that swears by conrads, and another that loves NTB. its all about who you trust to work on your car.

(a bit OT by the way)

hey guys, does this look like a good pump to use for putting in fluids?

can't really tell, just a basic fluid pump like you can find at autozone for $6 works fine.

What can they do during an oil change that is so bad anyway??? The drop the oil pan, drain the oil, stick the new oil in right in front of you, and rebolt it back up. And check your other fluid levels / oil filter.

Back