airbag code 34

meackerman

:
Mazda 5
anyone know what airbag code 34 is?

3 long blinks, then 4 quick blinks, pause, repeat.

on a Ford it means "Driver's side air-bag / safing sensor: low resistance or shorted"

According to the 2006 Mazda5 FWM, a 34 code is one of three faults

Passenger Side Pretensioner Circuit-

Short to ground, high resistance, or short to power supply.

This fault occurs when the Pretensioning circuit is outside the normal 1.3-4.7 ohms resistance

Last edited:
thanks.

The Mazda service advisor said they can't do anything about it until the light stays on all the time, says the code is cleared every time the car is turned off and not stored. True dat? Or he just feeding us a line so that they don't have to work on it. Wouldn't even write it up as code 34.
Pretty much anything we told him other than "it broken" he didn't want to hear, and pretty much told us we didn't know what we were talking about.

He says if the light comes on again, pull over, turn the car off and then back on. No apparent concern that we might be driving a car with a non-functional airbag system.

Oh man would I be livid.(pissed)

Can you please PM the name of the dealer to me so I will know not to go there.(strike)

I guess I would ask the dealer if they would then sign a waiver stating that this is normal, and if in the event of an injury, they will accept liability if it is found to have been defective or faulty.

You can also contact the local Mazda regional manager for the service department. They don't get much money for doing warranty work, so I have found that it helps to have the dealer perform an oil change, or tire rotation, whatever small $ item that I need to have done, and then they seem to be much less reluctant to do warranty repairs without a hassle.

Also, have you done any stereo wiring on the car, or had any interior panels off?

yes they are telling you the truth, air bag codes are not stored, you have to bring the car to the dealer with the light on or they can't do s*** for you.

nope we have done no mods to the car.

Still the SA wouldn't even put that it was code 34 on the work order. He didn't believe that's what we saw. Pretty much everything past, "fix the car" was treated as we didn't know what we were talking about.

We had the car in for a tranny flush that they recommended, checking the oil myself it didn't look in too good a condition. So they were making money off us.

So TD, they can't even lookup code 34 and see if they can do anything about it?

I've already told the other two guys where I work, that own Mazda's, about my latest experiences. One lives close enough to another Mazda dealer, he'll go there instead.

how do I go about finding the name of the Mazda regional manager? I'd like to see if he'd offer an opinion on whether I'm getting the level of service he expects from his dealer.

Before they merged with the Chevy service dept. they had a great SA.

im not sure what code 34 means, that is not a normal dtc.

If your under warranty and you don't have a light on, they can't do anything even if you tell them what the code was, because they have to print out the code and submit it with the RO to mazda for the dealer to get paid for the work. The print out is proof of the problem.

mazdadude found what code 34 is.

and since the code gets reset every time the car is turned off the chances of it ever getting fixed isn't all that great. sweet.

If you want a fast fix for the airbag code 34: I tried the tip from the Nissan thread for my 2009 Mazda 5...turn ignition on/turn ignition off....do this multiple times (waiting 5 seconds between each on/off) until the airbag light goes off. It worked.

Airbag Light Code 34: Passenger Side Seatbelt Pretensioner Circuit

Thanks for the detail on the code 34. The dashboard airbag light on my 2008 Mazda 5 was also flashing 3 long and then 4 short, so I was unsure what to do.

With the car off, I first checked under both front seats to inspect all the airbag-related components located there to see if the cables and connections all looked in place and intact. They did.

Then I found this thread via Google and noticed the issue is indicated to be in the "Passenger Side Seatbelt Pretensioner Circuit."

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic and this post is not intended to be professional advice. I have no idea if this fixes the underlying problem or guarantees the car's safety, but it did at least turn off my airbag light.

Hearing that the light blinking had to do with the seatbelt pretensioner ("short to ground, high resistance, or short to power supply"), I tried simply working with the seatbelt itself... Again with the car off, I pulled the passenger side seatbelt all the way out very slowly, and then fed it back in slowly. I did this 5 times. I did the same for the driver's side seatbelt, just for good measure.

Then I tried starting the car again, and to my surprise, my airbag light was no longer flashing. It went off right away and stayed off, as it would normally do.

I have no idea if this will "stick" or if the blinking light will return, but I wanted to post it here to see if anyone else has had this experience, or to see if this action makes sense in the context of the diagnostic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back