Exterior LED swap & review

This is the exterior part of my LED conversion review. I started out with the interior, and decided to do a few of these as well. I haven't touched the brake lights, turn signals, or reverse lights, just done a few very quick bulb swaps. To recap, I tried lots of various LEDs from both www.superbrightleds.com and www.autolumination.com.

Daytime Running Lights (parking lights):

I wanted to start off with these to better match the stock HID headlights, since the stock parking lights were a soft almost orange colour in comparison to the HIDs and my yellow fogs. I tried a variety of bulbs from my first order from Superbright.

I tried the basic single WLED bulb
WLED-x_all.jpg

But it wasn't that bright, and didn't fill the housing as well as it should have. I moved on.

The WLEDx4 bulb
WLED-x4_all.jpg

These worked a little better, and had more brightness, but were still too much of a "point source" and they didn't light up the housing like they should.

I tried to fit the WLEDx5 bulb
wled-x5.jpg

but I couldn't get it into the housing. I know some people have said they got it to fit, but I didn't want to rattle aroud and squeeze. I did see it in a friend's Celica, and it looked much better then the straight LEDs.

I also tried the WLED-WHP
wled-whp.jpg

And as much as I love the colour on this bulb, it was just a bright dot in the housing, and not suited for this application.

I then moved on to the bulbs from my Autolumination order. I specifically wanted to try the one type I ordered from them...

The Tower II
194_smt2_w_wm.jpg

These things worked brilliantly. Great light output, just as bright as the stock bulbs with MUCH better colour. I think I could have fit the Tower III bulbs in there for a little more light, but I wanted to play it safe and be 100% sure they fit. But I can't imagine finding a better LED bulb for this application. They're awesome. I can't speak to their longevity yet, but I will keep you updated if they do burn out on me.

EDIT: The Tower III apparently does NOT fit in the DRL spot.

newleds027bhc1.jpg

lights005jr8.jpg

License Plate Lights

I wanted something similar to the Lexus IS250/350 look with some nice clean LED lighting for my rear plate. I knew I wanted something with a nice diffused light, and because of how our bulbs are positioned this meant a bulb with a lot of side output.

I decided to use the Frosted Lenses
194_o_w_wm.jpg

and I was really happy with how they turned out. Not obscenely bright, drawing too much attention to my plates, but soft and very white, and they look so nice on the pearl white paint. It looks more blue in the picture than in real life... it really is whiter.

newleds024bii1.jpg

I may try the WLEDx5, but I think it will be a much harsher light.

***** UPDATE - December 08 *****
I did get the W5 from Superbright in the 4500k version and I really like the result. Much whiter than the frosted ones, and that's what I'll be keeping.

licenseleds3of9.jpg

Here is a link to my Interior LED review

Last edited:
which ones for me...

First off all, great post.
I have been looking for some new parking lights for sure! But I need everyone's opinion. I want either pure white or a cool white/blue bulb there, but how bright should i get them....I already have angel eyes in there. Would the 'Tower' bulbs be alittle bit overkill. What do you think would be the best brightness?

Are you saying you replaced the tiny little day time running lights bulb in you Hi-Beam housing with the L.E.D or did you replace the actual hi-beam bulb with the L.E.D.?

The tiny 194 not the actual buld!

I ordered the tower III in amber (eyeballs) ... hope it turnes out well! Ill post pics when i get the tag and front 194 done!

Yep, just the tiny little DRL bulb that comes in near the top of the housing. I think the Tower II compares very closely to the stock bulb in actual light output, it is just a whiter (and a little bluer) light that matches the HIDs better. I certainly don't think they're too bright, especially since most of the light is being produced sideways towards the reflective housing walls, with just a single LED aimed forwards.

quattro, there's a link at the bottom of the OP to my interior bulb post (I just updated it to stay within this site). Most of the replacements on our cars are pretty easy. To sum up the ones I liked the best, and would be using if I had bought the correct amounts the first time...

- Interior bulbs (overhead and door lighting): WLED-WHP from superbright (if you want all white)
- DRL: either the Tower II or Tower III from autolumination
- License plate: frosted lens 194 from autolumination

Edit: it looks like superbright has one similar to the Tower now, if you would prefer to order from them. Halfway down the page. http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Last edited:
I've been messing with the LED's from superbrightleds.com and I gotta chime in. I bought 10 of the WLED-W6 when I first got my car and within 6 months 7 of them had died! I bought them thinking they would last longer than traditional bulbs, lol. I used them for interior lighting and the license plate lights. I have since switched back to regular bulbs, but after reading this review I may have to try some of the ones from autoillumination.

speed6 dude, thanks for the update on that one, were they too wide? The website says they're the same diameter as the Tower II. :( Sorry, I hope I didn't give you a bum steer. I'll make notes on my original post.

yeah they are to wide... na man its not your fault you were just posting about the tower II i took the risk on the IIIs. dont know what the deal it with them saying they are the right size. But i put the III in my chicks celica so it ok! I ordered the tower II amber last night!

Are your fog hid or just a yellow bulb?

Last edited:
Got pics of the III in the celica and pics of the interior lights but i have a sucky camera nothing good showed up all you can see are the lights in the housing! Guess black lights dont show up on cameras?

Attachments

• led 002.jpg
    led 002.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 382
  • led 004.jpg
    led 004.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Thanks...

Yep, just the tiny little DRL bulb that comes in near the top of the housing. I think the Tower II compares very closely to the stock bulb in actual light output, it is just a whiter (and a little bluer) light that matches the HIDs better. I certainly don't think they're too bright, especially since most of the light is being produced sideways towards the reflective housing walls, with just a single LED aimed forwards.

I'll be ordering the Tower II soon along with the trunk lights! And then putting pictures up soon!

Ok just installed tower II amber for the parking lights and frosted for the liscence plate and they look good. They did mess up the order where I ordered 2 reds for the rear dome lights. I just got one red :(
Ill take pics hopefully tomarrow night and post them up.

Tag lights, remember my camera sucks and picture taking is not my strong piont!

Attachments

• led 006 black out.JPG
    led 006 black out.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 373
  • led 009 black out.JPG
    led 009 black out.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 385
Qwik6, that sucks, have you contacted them to let them know you were one short?

Speed6 dude, those look great, which bulb did you end up using again? I might change mine, because they're a little bluish. Did you get the warm white?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for posting this!!! I just ordered the Tower II's for the parking lights and the frosted tag lights. This will get me started at least.

The WLEDx5 bulb... no it was cool white! Still a real white color not alot of blue. I did not want alot of blue love the white!

Attachments

• wled-x5.jpg
    wled-x5.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 209
I really like how they look. I might have to swap mine now. :( I think I have one W5 still from my testing order, I'll change them around this weekend and see if it's enough of a difference for me to make another order. Do you feel like they put too much light on your plate? Or is it OK?

Oh no they dont put as much light on the plate as the stock bulbs did! I like them they look just like the new lexus cars i have seen around here. The pics really dont do it justice!

Back