life of new tires

alandla

I took my car into the Mazda dealer today to renew the motor vehicle inspection and they rejected the car because it needs 4 new tires.

I pointed out that these tires were on the vehicle when it was purchased brand new, 2 years ago AND we change them for winter tires so in reality, the tires are not much older than 1 year.

They give me the whole song & dance that they aren't making tires like they used to, etc, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I that far behind the times? In 25 years, I have never had to replace my tires. I usually have a new car every 4-5 years and have only recently been using winter tires.

Miles? We replaced the toyos that were on ours already.. Mostly i think the tires sucked...i have yoko's on it now and they seem to be holding up much better

What was the issue with the tires? Were they worn down to the bars? Unevenly worn because of alignment issues or lack of rotation? Were they properly inflated or underinflated? How many miles did you have on the tires?

If you look through the various tire threads on this forum you'll find that most report the stock Toyos don't last very long - seems that most get about 25-30K. We replaced ours at 29K, they weren't quite down to the wear bars but they were hydroplaning pretty badly. The stock Toyos aren't known for their longevity but being fastidious about maintenance seems to help somewhat.

They just told me that the treads were worn down. They said it was an even wear, not an alignment issue or anything.

We only had ~20,000 Km on them.

Maybe these tires just don't hold up well. I was just surprised since I've never seen this before and anybody I spoke to about it at work had never seen this before.

Granted, I've always owned Chevrolets until this Mazda 5 so I haven't seen these tires before (Toyo brand tires)

I think most of the problem is the tires....they sucked in the rain anyway...I put my advans from my legacy on and it seems much better

I think most of the problem is the tires....they sucked in the rain anyway...I put my advans from my legacy on and it seems much better

X2. My old Falken 512 on my Protege feel safer in the rain than my 9000 km old toyo tires on the 5. I almost got scarred last week driving in the rain while going through a puddle of water. Definatly under average tires.

They just told me that the treads were worn down. They said it was an even wear, not an alignment issue or anything.

We only had ~20,000 Km on them.

If this is the case contact your dealer about this. I'm not sure what to expect from Mazda, but when the run-flats that came with our Toyota van were worn down to nothing at 18,000 miles, Toyota eventually paid for a replacement set of tires:

http://a.abclocal.go.com/three/kgo/041706_toyota_sienna_letter.pdf

When the 2nd set of run-flats were toast at the same point I switched to Yokohama non-run-flat tires which have been great.

The run flats had a treadwear rating of 240, which is terrible. The new Yokohamas have a rating of 700.

The treadwear rating on the Toyo's is 300, I believe. So I wouldn't expect much from them, but 20k Km is pretty bad.

Miles? We replaced the toyos that were on ours already.. Mostly i think the tires sucked...i have yoko's on it now and they seem to be holding up much better

Sunglassguyjack - what kind of Yoko's did you go to and are they wearing better (particularly the rear where people seem to have the most problems) than the toyos (which seems to feather on the edges like a bad mofo)? I have the Yoko H4s on my Jetta and they are still going strong at 45,000 or so - really like them.

The stock tires that come on 5s just suck in general. Although I think the place you took your vehicle to just wants to sell you some tires. The ones on my 06 with nearly 30K on them aren't worn down to the bars yet, so I would take your vehicle somewhere else.

Just an update.

I took my car to the department of motor vehicles to see what they thought. They agreed that the tires did need to be replaced; the front tires were wore down to that indicator and the back tires were close enough to fail inspection.

They commented that the dealer was correct in the assessment that I needed 4 new tires but they were also surprised that these tires would have worn so quickly.

I contacted Mazda's head office to lodge a formal complaint and they said someone would look into it and get back to me next week.

Back