Brakes for 2002 Mazda Protoge LX 2.0

Hi all,
I'm kind of new to cars. I just purchased a 2002 Mazda Protoge LX 2.0, and it feels like my brakes need replacing.

Can anyone help me with what brake setup I have? The owner mentioned in the line of fronts are discs and rears are drums. Is that it?

I appreciate the help.

yea that sounds about right.....I would first take a look at the front pads and see how much life you have left on them. If you don't know too much i would say to take it to a brake shop or pepboys or something. If you don't have knowledge on how to change brakes, especially drums i wouldn't try it. It could be dangerous if you don't change them out right, they do stop your car.

But anyway how many miles on the car? Any noise coming from the front or rear brakes?

The car has 40,000mi. I hear a bit of grinding under hard braking, so I am going to have it changed asap. My friend who's a self proclaimed mechanic is helping me out during the weekend, but he wants me to find out what kind of brakes I have. I tried asking my local dealer, and they wanted me to bring the car in to check it. I didn't think it's worth paying them to do check for me.

Thanks

Just did front pads and rotors on my 2002 LX. car is about to hit 100K. Fairly easy job to do. Hardest part was taking the bolts off

My ES is a late 2002, with the toggle shift option for the auto, and the extra tweeters up by the side mirrors not found in early 2002s. It has 2003 front brakes, and the 2002 pads do not fit (found after it was apart).

As far as my understanding, only the "ES" submodels came with the option of 4-wheel disc brakes. The 2002 LX 2.0 should be like the 2001 LX 2.0, which is what I have - front disc brakes and rear drums.

Some years the es HAD 4 WHEEL DISCs, other years they cheaped out to save money. the 2000 ES had 4 wheel discs, but i dont think the 99 ES did, not sure about the 2001

I believe the 5 lug Protege 01-03 models have rear discs (ES and P5) while the DX and LE have 4 lug drums in rear.

Back