60 month/100,000 'Total Care' Mazda extended service contract for $2000 ?

parkerfe

:
2008.5 MS3, 82 Ferrari BB512i, 08 Suzuki Hayabusa
What do you think? I will likely put 100k miles in less than 5 years on my 2008.5 MS3 before getting another daily driver. So, I'm tempted to buy the extended service contract. But, with the MS3 having above average reliability, I'm wondering if it is a waste of money. Has anyone had major problems with their MS3 after the 36,000 factory warranty expired?

Last edited:
I've been pondering this as well. I won't put nearly that many miles on mine, though. I was considering a six-year, 75K policy. I'd still reach the years before the mileage. I haven't looked at my quote lately, but I think it's about $1,900

Good point about the "worth it" element. I've almost called to activate the coverage several times, but I keep putting it off.

I got the 5 year 100,000 for mine, but I paid less than $900 for it. I commute 100 miles per day, so it was worth it to me.

I got the 5 year 100,000 for mine, but I paid less than $900 for it. I commute 100 miles per day, so it was worth it to me.

Did you get Total Care, Stated Care, Primary Care or Power Care for $900 ?

My transmission had to be rebuilt at 21k and cost $3,500.00. Thank God it was covered under warranty! I drive moderately aggressive by the way and probably went down the local 1/4 drag strip about 25 times in total.

Last edited:
If you have any plans to mod the car whatsoever, an extended warranty would be quite counterproductive.

If you have any plans to mod the car whatsoever, an extended warranty would be quite counterproductive.

It is actually an extended service contract rather than a warranty. And, the dealer will still have the burden to prove with a preponderance of the evidence that the failure for which coverage is sought was caused by the aftermarket part modification...

Did you get Total Care, Stated Care, Primary Care or Power Care for $900 ?
For a guess, that must be a very basic type of coverage plan. The one I was quoted on covers a lot of stuff, but there are a few gotchas -- one of the reasons I haven't jumped.

I commute around 120 miles daily so I got it.
I got 6 year/100K extended service plan for $1000. Price of extended plan and gap is negotiable just like price of a car.

not on the new mazda's its 36k

???? bumper to bumper is 36K, powertrain is 6yr 60k still

from mazdas website

"
BUMPER-TO-BUMPER

Mazda warrants that new 2007 and 2008 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

Mazda warrants that the Powertrain Components of new 2007 and 2008 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 60 months or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This limited warranty is transferable during the warranty period on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

Complement the limited warranty on your new vehicle with the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, the only service agreement backed by Mazda. See your Mazda dealer for details."

Well, bury me in an anthill an' smear my ears with jam! I thought it was 36/36.

???? bumper to bumper is 36K, powertrain is 6yr 60k still

from mazdas website

"
BUMPER-TO-BUMPER

Mazda warrants that new 2007 and 2008 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

Mazda warrants that the Powertrain Components of new 2007 and 2008 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 60 months or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This “limited warranty” is transferable during the warranty period on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

Complement the limited warranty on your new vehicle with the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, the only service agreement backed by Mazda. See your Mazda dealer for details."

60 months is 5 years, but other than that, I agree with you. :)

You really need to read the fine print on these warranties before you spend $2,000 on them. Make sure there are no gotchas. Are they through Mazda or a third party company. Alot of dealers will sell extended warranties through these third party companies with lots of fine print. I drive about 90 miles a day, so I've thought about it.

All true. Warranty Direct seems a good company. They're the ones I'm considering.

Back