Mazda5 vs KIA Rondo comparisons and articles (merged)

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
I'd likely buy the Mazda5 except for one thing: I have three kids and the second row only seats two. So I was interested in checking out the recently introduced Kia Rondo, which offers 2-3-2 seating.

Quick notes:
--stronger four
--no manual offered in the U.S. (deal killer for me)
--roomier, more comfortable second row
--standard stability control
--thoroughly bland to look at and drive

So, I don't see people who enjoy driving opting for the Kia unless they really need that seventh seat. But those more interested in roominess and stability control might.

My full review:
Kia Rondo review

Concept drawings started out good, but damn did that thing end up ******' ugly.

Kia_Rondo_Mini_Van_1.jpg

Kia_Rondo_Mini_Van_2.jpg

alt.jpg

inline_2007_Kia_Rondo_04.jpg

I don’t see any significant differences between the sketches and real thing… other than that the real one is lacking the aggressive drop and 22”s. Besides, when’s the last time you saw an artist sketch actually end up on the road… with few exceptions they usually get watered down.

I don't think I would be ready to go for a Kia until they
have had a good run in NA. Remember the Hyundai's
when they got their first taste of winter salt.

Remember Jandree the artist can draw anything he wants, but
then the company has to figure out how to build it within budget.

Kia is owned by Hyundai. They should be about the same quality.

DurhamProPhoto said:
Remember Jandree the artist can draw anything he wants, but then the company has to figure out how to build it within budget.
That was my whole point. For some reason artists always make these radical drawings that never happen. To expect an artist rendition to actually come out into mass production is foolish.

sometimes i wish we got the manual 5, but with our weekly trips to san diego from l.a., sitting back is nice.

mountjonas said:
sometimes i wish we got the manual 5, but with our weekly trips to san diego from l.a., sitting back is nice.
Yeah, since Im trying to drive more calm and friendly in preparation for the little one on the way, the 5MT loses some of its point and fun factor. Theres only so much fun you can get from it using 3k or so as your shift point :p Im still happy I went with the 5MT, but I wouldnt be devastated if I was forced into an AT, either. Its nice to just set it and forget it.

I drove the Rondo for about a month this summer as part of a consumer test prior to rollout. I'd agree with p5w3kid's review. The car felt solid for a Kia, had good power (we had the 6 cylinder, so no comparison to the Mazda5), and was of surprisingly high quality compared to some rentals I have known. But it was very, very bland. Its handling was relatively heavy and felt like a sort of generic American car -- my wife said they should have done the market test with Chrysler owners rather than Mazda5 owners as it reminded her of a rental Dodge she had been stuck with. Its interior felt smaller than the 5's, though when I measured, the areas were almost identical. The Rondo is slightly wider and slightly shorter.

All in all, a decent car but not one I'd put high on my purchase list.

Foolish said:
Kia is owned by Hyundai. They should be about the same quality.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but Hyundai quality had drastically improved over the "Excel years".

I dont' have a significant amount of data on Kias yet, but based on JD Power and CR they still lag Hyundai quite a bit. The companies are still operated almost as if they were two separate companies. To my knowledge, the only vehicles that are built in the same plant are the minivans, and even then Hyundai has its own engineers on site and uses many of its own parts and processes.

In other words, they're about as tight as Ford and Mazda, or Ford and Volvo. Shared platforms, and some people moving back and forth, but still quite independent.

For this reason I'm not combining the Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage in my research.

bearymore said:
Its interior felt smaller than the 5's, though when I measured, the areas were almost identical. The Rondo is slightly wider and slightly shorter.

Glad to hear your extended impressions largely agreed with my own.

In terms of room, the largest difference I noticed was in the second row. It's been a while since I've been in a Mazda5, but I recall second row legroom being just adequate and the cushion being a bit low to the floor for my comfort. The Kia has three inches more second-row legroom and the cushion is higher off the floor. If you're putting kids back there, as I would be, it wouldn't much matter.

On sliders vs. swingers, in the review I note that people shouldn't park next to a Rondo. Those rear doors are long, and I can easily imagine the damage my kids could do getting in and out.

dommo_g said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but Hyundai quality had drastically improved over the "Excel years".
I've gotta agree. I was very surprised how nice my co-worker's Hyundai Sonata was the other day on a short trip. Refined, solid, good build quality.

It was this generation, so I was even more surprised because it had some miles on it...
sonata.jpg

P5w3kids said:
Glad to hear your extended impressions largely agreed with my own.

In terms of room, the largest difference I noticed was in the second row. It's been a while since I've been in a Mazda5, but I recall second row legroom being just adequate and the cushion being a bit low to the floor for my comfort. The Kia has three inches more second-row legroom and the cushion is higher off the floor. If you're putting kids back there, as I would be, it wouldn't much matter.

If the third row isn't up, you can slide the second row back and get plenty of legroom in the 5. My only impression of the comparative comfort of the back seats was from my teenage son who is pushing 6 ft. tall. Faced with a 10 hour drive, he begged us to take the Mazda because he found the Kia's back seat "uncomfortable".

I am 6' tall and always sit in the back with our kids while my wife drives. I'd rather be one of six adults in our Madza5 than one of four adults in my Subaru Forester or most smallish vehicles.

There is no doubt that I would prefer the best of the Rondo combined with the best of the Mazda5 over either of the two alone. But the Rondo wouldn't have been our list of vehicles to consider due to the lack of sliding doors and manual transmission.

Jon

I think the Kia will sell well, but for some reason, and I can't name why, but I don't think it'll appeal to the same bunch as the Mazda5. The 5 seems to draw more of the performance crowd, and the Rondo will probably draw more budget get-it-all-done-in-one-car car.

I don't know a 16-25 year old that would desire to have a Kia, but I bet there are a good number of > 40yo's that would see the Kia for its price and practicality over the radical looking Mazda.

Sorry for the age stereotypes, but that's all just my prediction and $.02 on the matter. Bottom line, both should sell well side by side.

jandree22 said:
I think the Kia will sell well, but for some reason, and I can't name why, but I don't think it'll appeal to the same bunch as the Mazda5. The 5 seems to draw more of the performance crowd, and the Rondo will probably draw more budget get-it-all-done-in-one-car car.

I don't know a 16-25 year old that would desire to have a Kia, but I bet there are a good number of > 40yo's that would see the Kia for its price and practicality over the radical looking Mazda.

Sorry for the age stereotypes, but that's all just my prediction and $.02 on the matter. Bottom line, both should sell well side by side.
I agree, I think it will sell more than the 5. The reason being that it appeals to the more mainstream crowd. I have always seen mazda as the company that gears cars towards many younger (but older than teens)drivers that want a sporty driving experience, The kia rondo is marketed toward the mainstream consumer e.g. offering extra seating, long warranty, and many standard safety features. Check out this review of the rondo done by canadian driver it's pretty thorough also. http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/07rondo.htm

Last edited:
Clearly not just a matter of age. The Rondo might be more likely to appeal to women than men, but no doubt this won't be the case with every woman, either. People who want sporty styling and agile handling will buy the Mazda.

For me the main advantage of the Rondo is the seventh seating position. But people without three kids probably prefer the captains.

Back