02 P5 OD troubles

John_1975

:
2002 Protege5, Black Mica...
Had the car for about a year and never had any issues. Just tried to turn OD off today and no light or shift to third. Things that have happened to the car in the last few weeks is it has been towed, and I threw it in reverse while backing out of the garage without my foot on the brake and the car sort of lunged backwards on a separate occasion. Just stupid and in a hurry didn't think to put my foot on the brake first. Here's what's weird about the OD button. If I start in P and go to R the OD light will come on (OD off) by the switch only while in R. I can then shift to any other gear and OD will stay off. I can only turn it on and off in R BUT if I start in P and go to anything but R like D, 2, or 1 and then try to go to R and turn OD off it won't do it. I click the button and no light or gear shift. I was sitting still going through the gears trying different combos when I discovered this. I'm asking what is the most likely culprit? I read on here about resetting the ECU. Do I just disconnect the red cable? Do I have to wait any period of time? Also, if I wanted to check the OD wires on the shifter how does that come apart. Is it in the service guide?

Thanks everyone

After all this time I figured this out not long ago. It was a short at the O/D switch. The wires had separated from the solder point. You can just pull the shifter knob off to fix.

After all this time I figured this out not long ago. It was a short at the O/D switch. The wires had separated from the solder point. You can just pull the shifter knob off to fix.

Can you provide any additional information on removing the shift knob. I removed the 2 screwed and can pull up an inch or so, but am afraid I will screw up something else if I just pull it off completely. Is there enough slack in the wires to allow this? How do you remove the OD button from the handle to resolder the wires. ANy help or details would be appreciated.

Back