Ride is to stiff, bumpy - P5 suspension question

akkilles

:
Protege5(323F BJ) 2.0
Hello,

I have had my P5 for a few months and what I can say it has strange suspension as for a daily driving. I had stock springs (and tires size is16/195/50), a few days ago I changed stock shocks to new KYB Excel-G(they are comparable to stock) but the ride is still uncomfortable. I live in area where there are a lot of 'crappy' roads. I feel every crack, every liitle shingle. It is to hard, it is to bumpy, it shakes a lot! What I can do else to make it more comfortable on horizontal bumps?
Please help..

yea I'd have to say you bought the wrong car then. Just about any aftermarket suspension is going to ride even harder than stock.

Wider tires and softer sidewall will help...

Get some 205/50/16s tire on and it will help...by no means will it "cure" the issue, but it will soften the ride..

Could even push up to 205/55/16...

hahaha
So akkilles whats ur decision?
Prototype5's idea? clicknext's idea? Mine? or kuboola's idea?

I guess the best thing is to take P5 to curvy mountain roads, so you would appreciate the feel. :)
Or trade in with a camry...

Josh

or raise the car up, get bigger tires, and make ur p5 look like those off road trucks. if thats possible hahaha lmao

What I discovered is that the softness is temperature depended. During the summer it was a little bit softer comparing to fall tmeperures. maybe the this is something about the tires. I remember that with winter tires(15/195/55) the car was a lilttle bit more comfortable last winter over the summer 16/195/50.
The worst thing about the comfort of the ride fo me is that a feel cracks in the road in the cabin and steering wheel.

I feel the same way, really. I just put new Kumho Ecsta ASX, stock size, on- thinking the Dunlop tires were worn/out of round. It's a little smoother/quieter at highway speeds, but around town about the same. I think it gets a little better after 10 minutes of driving, when the tires have warmed up a little. And I don't like the way the engine buzz comes through on the accelerator. My 93 Saturn SL2 was a better all around car for me, I have to say. If you're in the mood to feel the road and corner hard, the Mazda's a fun car. In day to day driving, I am usually limited by traffic, though. The directional stability and control at speed are great too - you really just point it where you want to go whereas I had to drive the Saturn a little more. I was hoping I was going to be able to get the Mazda to the point that I really like it, but I am giving up on that. It's OK- overall I wish the ride was less jiggly though.

too stiff? theres no such thing

you swapped out your struts with stock replacements? and your finding it too stiff?

wow you would probably hate my car then..

anwyays you should get 205/55/R15's your car will feel like a buick then. (your handling will go to crap tho)

I feel the same way, really. I just put new Kumho Ecsta ASX, stock size, on- thinking the Dunlop tires were worn/out of round. It's a little smoother/quieter at highway speeds, but around town about the same. I think it gets a little better after 10 minutes of driving, when the tires have warmed up a little. And I don't like the way the engine buzz comes through on the accelerator. My 93 Saturn SL2 was a better all around car for me, I have to say. If you're in the mood to feel the road and corner hard, the Mazda's a fun car. In day to day driving, I am usually limited by traffic, though. The directional stability and control at speed are great too - you really just point it where you want to go whereas I had to drive the Saturn a little more. I was hoping I was going to be able to get the Mazda to the point that I really like it, but I am giving up on that. It's OK- overall I wish the ride was less jiggly though.

Yeah, I fell the same about the tires. And I don't like the engine buzz too. It's kind a of vibrations/resonance over 3500 rpm (a little bit to loud)... I am gonna check intake and exhaust in the next step.

Wider tires and softer sidewall will help...

Get some 205/50/16s tire on and it will help...by no means will it "cure" the issue, but it will soften the ride..

Could even push up to 205/55/16...

Ok what I know the stock sizes are 195/55/15, 195/50/16.
And now there is a question:
- wolud larger size 205/55/16 influence acceleration?
- 205 wolud it really be more softer? I was always thinking that the greater tread width means less comfort. So which will be softer: 205/55/16 or 195/55/15

if you want to fit a taller sidewall for more comfort, try stepping down to a 15" or even 14" if it'll clear the brakes

this way you'll be able to maintain the same overall diameter as stock

Back