Is buying an old econo-car a good idea to save gas, or "downright stupid"?

s204speed

Safety is the main reason I'd never buy an old CRX or something to drive to the supermarket and whatnot. It is hard to find a balance when looking for a used, cheap but newer car like a car from the early 2000s.

How much safety (or emission control) would you be willing to give up for the price?

save_gas_or_die_trying_feature_submodel_full.jpg

Youve had em. Weve had em. With the exception of the Sultan of Brunei, pretty much everybodys had an old and uglybut fuel-efficientbeater rusting away in the driveway in their past. And with gas prices doing what theyve been doing of late and the economy threatening to implode, those old POSs are starting to look as tempting as a cold Popsicle on a hot day at the county fair. Their prices have been on the rise, the posterchild for the movement being a 1992 Geo Metro XFia car said to get more than 50 mpgthat recently sold on eBay for $7200, according to U.S. News and World Report. Perhaps now is a good time to mention that the car sold for roughly $7200 new.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...c_cars/save_gas_or_die_trying_feature?cid=303

I would go out and buy an old econobox to use as a parts runner or to use to commute to work. Oh wait I've already done that.

my boss has a geo now so he doesn't have to drive his silverado to and from work and around town... the thing is smoking and may not pass inspection and it cost him 1500. he is wishing he had held out and bought something new like a civic or carrolla.

98 Chevy Crapalier gets me right @ 32mpg. and I only pd $500 + put in a new motor. Saves me from driving my K5 Blazer (8mpg)

i get 30 on a good tank, but i havent filled up in a month or so and im at half way, my car doesnt move when im here at school.

I think it's a good idea! In some cases the car would pay for itself in a yr or less. As for how safe they are? Well when you have 6000+lbs trucks and suv's it really don't matter what kind of econo box your in. Your still gona get messed up.

I get 28-30 in rush hour, 32-34 on highway in my ES pro, I wouldn't go for the cheap econobox option. If I had just a truck though, I'd definitely do it. I keep telling my girlfriend (96 jeep cherokee) she needs to buy a scooter. We live about 10 miles from her work but it's all back roads with the highest speed limit being 30. Great on gas, great resale value (college town), no insurance/license cost.

my 93 corolla beater was only $500... barely ran when I got it... spent about $300 to fix it and everything is working (most of the money went to the A/C and the least of that the tranny).... my mom had a 95 and it got totalled but it saved her life.... so it's plenty safe enough to me :D

considering the gas savings over my protege, reduced wear and tear on the protege, and the ridiculously cheap insurance, the beater more than paid for itself already... and there's all these people hounding me to sell it to them :D

forget hondas... toyotas are better built and take abuse better even though they're downright ugly... but they don't handle nearly as bad as people say they do if you know how to drive them

and usually insurance is cheaper AFTER adding a beater.... list it as your daily driver and lots of times it will reduce your insurance

My 00 protege is my old beater ;)

Safety is my highest concern when picking a car, I know an older car like a Toyota will still run good and drive well but in this united states no one has respect for other people on the road, my biggest fear is getting T boned by some soccer mom rushing her small army of children to the mall. Driving some gigantic SUV to keep them safe, while being much more dangerous to everyone else on the road.

When a 3 ton suv plows a geo metro there isn't much left of the geo. Its called mechanical mismatch the suv bumper is too high so it goes above the normal cars bumper and right into the passenger compartment.

My life and health is worth more then anything in this world. Thats why I bought a car w more airbags then just about anything, and enough boron steel reinforcement to take on the nastiest suv. My new car is my daily driver my protege is my weekend car but I still list the pro as my daily on the insurance (usa)

my corolla has an airbag, but it's been "downgraded" to "canadian spec" right now... yeah, the airbag ECU flaked out and I've been too busy to get it to the dealer to do the airbag recall (which will fix this problem)... canadian corollas had optional airbags for that year ;)

dude, it's safe enough for an old ass car... like I said, it saved my mom's life... and it's definately a more structurally sound vehicle than a damn civic

seat belts do plenty enough in a crash anyway

Last edited:
Once insurance, registration and repairs are accounted for...the second vehicle is never worth it. Even if you have a truck like mine

A lot of people say that, but if you do the math it does pay off. My jeep was getting 14-16 mpg, payment of 420 insurance 120 gas for the month 544 (that's with out going out playing in it). So that's 1080 a month with out the up keep.

I traded it in and got the Kia. But I needed a toy too. I bought a 78 Chevy SWB. Payment on the car 311 gas for the month 400 insurance for both 110 (plus I get the home and auto discount on my home owners policy) so that's 822 a month. With the 7500 mile oil (I do it at 5k) and 100k warrenty I'd have to say it's well forth the money. I got a new toy and with them money saved I have money to build it.

Still rockin the 82 toyota pickup with 386000 on it. No pullution controls, no ps, just r12 ac & 2bbl weber manual choke carb & ipod connection. Still pulls 25mpg with oversize tires & ac running. 13.00 inspection since it's over 25. Instead of me worrying about everyone else trying to keep my P5 new(ish), everyone else can worry about my truck when I drive it. Park anywhere, go anywhere & get back......priceless. Will never part with it.

haha.... that's the great thing about having my beater... I can drive it to walmart and not care if I park next to all these assholes

Latest posts

Back