Buying Mazda stock

jamesk

:
mazda protege 2002
i wanna invest some money into stocks since the market is down. mazda is at $4.26 a share. u think i should buy some mazda shares or im going to loose money.

i feel they have some good plans for the future. what do you guys think?

I wouldn't buy stock in any automotive company at the moment. If you are going for a long term investment, invest in things that people need and that haven't changed for a while. It sounds silly, but companies like Proctor and Gamble, Colgate, etc, are good bets. People need toothpaste, detergent, and bandages. That's a pretty static market.

Besides, you have incorrect info about Mazda's stock price. Cue Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7261:JP

i say pick up some GM stock. it's way down and if they can pull through this tough patch you should be able to make a decent profit in a few years. definitely a high risk investment but high risk = high reward (sometimes)

Well it depends. The more important question would be how this investment will fit into your investing strategy. Are you in it for the long-term? Short-term? Do you have any strategy at all or are we just picking numbers on a roulette table here?

um.. , id say sell the stock in a couple years i guess.

i wasent gonna take it too seriously, i just wanted to buy some stock low and what it go up a good amount from a period of time. instead of the money sitting in the bank i figure i should make some type of investment with it.

just a gut feel but i think mazda's stock will stay relatively level in the coming years. probably go up slightly but nothing major. they're too small to make any major moves and i haven't heard anything saying that their product strategy will change so their production and sales numbers should be relatively the same. the biggest action that i could see happening is ford selling its stake in the company but i'm not sure that would have a positive impact on the stock (depends on if someone else picks it up and who that person is). if they do sell their stake it could be bad for mazda due to the shared development costs they currenly benefit from.

if what you're looking to do is play a little and are ok with potentially losing the money i'd say look into some more volatile stocks. or a combination of stable and volatile stocks so lower your risk. i've heard the current market described as "having a sale" so a lot of good stuff is cheap and could make you more money than mazda but also could potentially lose you more money as well because of the volatility of the market in general.

i say pick up some GM stock. it's way down and if they can pull through this tough patch you should be able to make a decent profit in a few years. definitely a high risk investment but high risk = high reward (sometimes)

The risk there is quite high. GM refuses to pull their heads out of their asses and stop making those huge ******* SUVs. Gas prices aren't going to drop any time soon, yet i still see all the GM companies coming out with giant gas guzzling trucks. For example, a friend of mine worked for one of the GM dealerships as a salesman. His boss would pester him regularly about concentrating on SUVs, and not the other cars, because the SUVs just aren't selling well. Long story short, he had too much pressure on him and left because he wasn't making any commission.

IF, however, they do realize what's going on, and start making compact cars, that would turn around their sales, and in turn, their stocks.

Oh yeah, and if you wait a little while till the Mazda Rx-9 comes out (a little while lol...) you could invest beforehand, and reap the benefits of the sales from that beast.

just my two pennies.

IF, however, they do realize what's going on, and start making compact cars, that would turn around their sales, and in turn, their stocks.
isn't that what they're doing? their current inventory means that dealerships have to sell SUVs and trucks but their plans for the future, from what i've read, revolve around the volt, cruze, malibu, and other cars with plants that produce trucks and suvs being either retooled or totally shut down and total truck/suv production lessening. it'll be a couple years before the volume of cars is out there for dealerships to reap the rewards so in the mean time they're stuck and that is one of the issues GM has to face. the other big potential issue they have to work through is their union agreements and healthcare costs, a lot of which are settled but not totally yet.

Oh yeah, and if you wait a little while till the Mazda Rx-9 comes out (a little while lol...) you could invest beforehand, and reap the benefits of the sales from that beast.
enthusiast cars generally have VERY little impact on the bottom line. the volume just isn't there to really influence things. it's cars like the 6 and 3 that appeal to a broader market and are what will help to make a company profitable or not. say they make $1000 profit per current RX8 and sell 5,000/year. that's $5,000,000 profit. then let's say they sell 50,000 6's annually for $500 profit each. that's $25,000,000. numbers are all made up but you can see how volume is what really has the biggest impact on the company as a whole

well i actually heard the fura ( i dont know how to spell it) is the big step that mazda is taking. all the newspapaers say it is going to be revoluntionary.

thats why i had the idea in investing into mazda.

this thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Furai

nothing like that will ever be produced in quantities enough to impact the bottom line. i know there was talk about a much edgier next gen miata that (iirc) could draw some cues from the radical concepts they've been putting out lately but the miata has always been a niche vehicle since it's not practical at all. makes money, people love it, fun to drive, but something that pales in sales when comparing it to the normal cars that are produced (next gen 6 just started, 3 next year i think, they'll both be around for another 5-6 years and will be the volume cars for mazda)

mazda does have a history of trying new things (rotary, miller cycle, probably plenty of others that i'm missing) and who knows, they may try something that will take off. it has yet to really happen but as long as they keep trying it may pay off

the automotive world is not the place to be investing money at the moment lol....s*** even keeping it at legit investment companies isnt looking promising with the current happenings...

invest in gold...thats a sure thing lol

Those wikipedia images are from the New York Auto Show last year, was at that show! And i took a picture of that "Furai" at that same angle.

Back on topic: In that case, what about the Mazda2? I hear word it's on its way here, and i'm sure that little thing will sell quite well. Not only is it going to be compact, but i also hear it's gonna be quick.

yeah...it is coming...as a Ford Fiesta...
Those wikipedia images are from the New York Auto Show last year, was at that show! And i took a picture of that "Furai" at that same angle.

Back on topic: In that case, what about the Mazda2? I hear word it's on its way here, and i'm sure that little thing will sell quite well. Not only is it going to be compact, but i also hear it's gonna be quick.

god damn it i knew i should have bought vw stock when i read about it being the 3rd largest automaker. vwna has gone up 50% since the begining of sept

stock investments

hey, I'm also looking for advice in stock investments...but it's no longer 2008 and need a new updated opinion
Stocks are supposed to rise in Mazda by 18% over this next year and have already grown by 7% in just 12 weeks..thoughts??

WHere are you getting your 18% figure from I'd love to know?

Back