Post Pics of your RX-7

poor rotary engine =(
sorry, just never saw any good reason to destroy a perfectly good rotary in lue of a piston engine

I can understand that; but, the swap was not done by me. I bought it that way. However, the engine that was swapped out was not perfectly good. It was down. It got sold and was not destroyed; so, someone is getting some use out of it. It seems one needs to keep a spare engine, if one rags them out very much. So much for running them to the redline, as suggested. I do rev up the engine in the RX-8, some; but, I don't take it to redline because I don't want to break the engine.

The rotary in the RX-8 is a neat little engine; but, it would not be something I'd pick for myself. I've had the opportunity to buy RX series cars for many years and never did. There were so many things that could go wrong with them that they never seemed practical enough for a daily driver. I also needed better gas mileage for my 35 mile drive to work, each day. The RX-8 is my wife's car. She liked the styling and wanted one. She hates the gas mileage on premium gas, though. As for me, I'm not into four door cars and don't care much for the extra maintenance one has to do on a RX-8. I'm not used to having to add oil between oil changes. She still likes her car, though. I guess we'll keep it for several more years, now that the core of the engine has a better warranty on it. If we ever sell it, it will still have the rotary in it.

i want to see the roush!!

As requested. This Roush will be my wife's show car, this year.

SD530013.jpg

And, to pick on Neox a bit, here is a photo of our current Miata. This one is no longer stock, either. It has a 2004 Ls6 Corvette engine in it. Now, that's a lot more overkill than the swapped RX-7 was. I'll show this one, this year. I've got it in the shop being painted, right now. The seats are being redone, as well.

HPIM0908.jpg

The engine area.

HPIM0897.jpg

the roush is nice. i've looked at them, but i just can't get into a car note on a two door car with a house full of kids right now.

the roush is nice. i've looked at them, but i just can't get into a car note on a two door car with a house full of kids right now.

We only had two kids; and, we had nothing but two door cars all their growing up years. Most of the time, we had sports and sporty cars, in the mix. My son still likes two door cars; but, my daughter went the way of the soccer mom. She drives a Suburban.

As for the Roush, it's a nice car; but, it seems big to us. I feels bigger than the '02 Mustang GT vert we traded in on it. I don't know why it feels that way; but, it does. I do like the Mazdas.

i've got three right now, so i can't really do the two door car thing anymore. i still have my rx7, but that is just a sunday driver. i am looking at a trailblazer SS right now, which will be the closest thing to american muscle that i can have for at least a couple of years. i could finish my 61 ford falcon, but it will take a whole lot of work.

my friend had an 02 roush and it even felt heavy compared to a regular GT, so i guess it is just a roush thing. the suspensions on those are pretty heavy and tight though, so that may be the main thing making it feel that way.

i've got three right now, so i can't really do the two door car thing anymore. i still have my rx7, but that is just a sunday driver. i am looking at a trailblazer SS right now, which will be the closest thing to american muscle that i can have for at least a couple of years. i could finish my 61 ford falcon, but it will take a whole lot of work.

my friend had an 02 roush and it even felt heavy compared to a regular GT, so i guess it is just a roush thing. the suspensions on those are pretty heavy and tight though, so that may be the main thing making it feel that way.

You have a '61 Falcon? Wow! That goes back to my younger days! My parents had a new Falcon, back then. My first nearly new car was a '61 Corvair Monza, the Falcon's competition. I bought that in early '65, when I got a job with IBM at the tender age of 18.

As for the Roush, it's not the suspension that makes it feel big. It's the car, in general. I know it's in our minds; but, it may also be how we have the seats set in the car. It just seems bigger. It's a nice car, though. I do like the suspension. It's pretty solid. The car handles well,for its size. That is one of the selling points of the car, I think. According to reviews, it will handle better than a Shelby on a road course. It just can't beat it at a drag strip. My wife and I don't drive on a drag strip. We do drive on curved roads.

Well i was going to go out and put in the fiero fan that i picked up the other day along with putting my airpump back on (thanks wes) but working in the driveway doesnt really appeal to me right now. Loving how the car looks with the springs on it though. I get my 215/45 azenis this week to put on my TII meshies this week as well.

IMG00059.JPG

no problem. your car does look great with a drop on it. i have always loved the look of the convertibles and that one looks nice. i almost bought a 91 convertible, but i am addicted to boost, so i went with the turbo II.

Oh my that miata is sick.

I have a love for the RX7s. So I'm subbin to see them all.

It is indeed quite a ride. I, too, like the RX-7s. I had a Lt1 FC, last year. I sold it so I could purchase the Miata and still have room in the garage. I really like the FD's flowing lines. The FC vert is OK by me, as well. One of the guys renting the house next to us has bought a FC. Not sure which one it is. I just know it looks like the one I had. I may have to check it out a bit closer. I don't think it's a turbo, though.

And, to pick on Neox a bit...

oh don't mistake me lol
I have no problem with badass swaps like that and while I may not be a fan of american muscle or their engines it is still a BADASS setup to me....in a miata

I just don't see the point in taking a (already rare) rotary engined vehicle and convert it to a piston engine other than out of spite

I can see if you bought it that way, totally understandable since it is definitely a fast car with a v8 in it....but to actually be the one spending the money to do it is like 'what?? why not a miata or something', ya know?

(though I CAN see it in a FC moreso since they are less rare...but an FD? that's just horrible to me...)

it's like those who buy the ford taurus....NEW
what ever in the world would compel you to buy that car over any other car of comperable price? I can see if it was given to you, or you got it used for 2 grand...but who actually went to the ford dealership and said 'I want THAT car!!!' hahaha

clean cars though, nonetheless (headbang)

I just don't see the point in taking a (already rare) rotary engined vehicle and convert it to a piston engine other than out of spite

I guess it's the typical gearhead mentality. Some just have to try it. Then, it catches on. Many do not have the same regards for the rotary engine; but, they do like the styling of the car. The LSx version is quite the car. I'd love to have a LSx FD; but, the entry price was just too high. Well, the Miata can be just as high; but, I got a good deal on mine.

I can see if you bought it that way, totally understandable since it is definitely a fast car with a v8 in it....but to actually be the one spending the money to do it is like 'what?? why not a miata or something', ya know?

Then, there are those purists who think one should not mess with a Miata, either. A Miata with a Ford engine reminds me of the little Sunbeam Tigers I loved when I was a youngster. The LS6 is a bit of overkill; but, it sure is nice.

As for the cost, a true gearhead tends to ignore that. The challenge is what's important. That may be why their cars can usually be bought for well under what the builder has in them. As a buyer, instead of a builder, I get the results of their efforts for a price I can afford. Of course, one does not have to swap the engine to fall into that category, either. Some spend thousands of dollars on cars to "improve" them. The fact that manufacturers may spend years developing a car's performance features makes no difference to the true gearhead. S(he) thinks one can always make it better.

I'm not one for making mods to a car. I buy it as I want it, other than maybe some bling for shows. By buying the V8 conversions I've had, I saved a bunch of money and had cars already sorted out, by the time I bought them. The Miata is a nice daily driver with some added fun. All I needed to do was put a fresh coat of paint on it and enjoy.

You have a '61 Falcon? Wow! That goes back to my younger days! My parents had a new Falcon, back then. My first nearly new car was a '61 Corvair Monza, the Falcon's competition. I bought that in early '65, when I got a job with IBM at the tender age of 18.

yeah, i keep it as a project that i a supposedly always getting started on. my money always goes to my other two cars though since they are already running. i have talked about selling it, but it is a little too complete to think about that really. i have a 351 to drop in with a 4 speed auto tranny and i already have all of the bucket seats for it.

Then, there are those purists who think one should not mess with a Miata, either. A Miata with a Ford engine reminds me of the little Sunbeam Tigers I loved when I was a youngster. The LS6 is a bit of overkill; but, it sure is nice.

not the same at all....because your not taking a -rare- car and stripping out what makes it rare to put in something super common

in an FC it's not really a big thing to me, cause they aren't that rare....but in an FD (which is really hard to find in good shape these days) is just like....why?

I got mad respect for LS swaps, they are badass

but it's like if you were to take a ferrari v8 and drop an LS v8 into it instead....why? you are taking a car that is known for that engine and putting a different engine into it, ya know?

here is the RHD LS2 RX-7 with the new front end and Seibon goodies. :)

And Neox? As to why? The noise, pure and simple for me.

Attachments

• DSC01925.JPG
    DSC01925.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 493
that's fine
but that doesn't answer the question lol...why tear a rotary out of the FD, which is what makes it an awesome car and a rare car, to put a piston engine in it?

I can see any other car, but why the FD of all of the options out there???

that's fine
but that doesn't answer the question lol...why tear a rotary out of the FD, which is what makes it an awesome car and a rare car, to put a piston engine in it?

I can see any other car, but why the FD of all of the options out there???

reliability and torque. The 13b REW is not the more stout of all the rotary engines. Plus a LS engine only weighs a bit more and has the ability to produce more power and torque easier than the 13b does. Would i prefer the rotary...hell yeah i would...but having an easy 400hp and 400tq i could daily drive in a sexy car sound pretty enticing as well.

reliability and torque. The 13b REW is not the more stout of all the rotary engines. Plus a LS engine only weighs a bit more and has the ability to produce more power and torque easier than the 13b does. Would i prefer the rotary...hell yeah i would...but having an easy 400hp and 400tq i could daily drive in a sexy car sound pretty enticing as well.

To me its just Sacreligous (sp)

This is to all GM power plant installs.. Honestly to me its just OVERDONE..

people drop them in fords, dodges, datsuns, mazda, bmw, hell about anything.. and lets face it the REAL reason why they do it is because..

GM PARTS ARE CHEAP!!!!!

to me this motor swap in anything is just redundant.. its like an asshole.. everyone has one..

Want a real swap 20B atleast it is still the LIFE BLOOD of the car..

To me its just Sacreligous (sp)

This is to all GM power plant installs.. Honestly to me its just OVERDONE..

people drop them in fords, dodges, datsuns, mazda, bmw, hell about anything.. and lets face it the REAL reason why they do it is because..

GM PARTS ARE CHEAP!!!!!

to me this motor swap in anything is just redundant.. its like an asshole.. everyone has one..

Want a real swap 20B atleast it is still the LIFE BLOOD of the car..

First, I have two friends who do not have assholes; so, not everyone has one. However, everyone has an opinion, which can be different than the next person.

Now, let's look at your signature photo. If the rest of your engine area looks like the front end of your car, you've modded the hell out of it. I see nobody questioning your motives for that. I understand your feelings about the rotaries. However, for you guys who are more purist than we are, you have to understand that not all of us see the rotary as the world's best engine. And, yes, the GM engine is cheap and easy to buy parts for. Otherwise, it may be something else that's used. I, too, prefer the sound of a V8 over the sound of the rotary. I grew up with V8s; so, it's in the blood.

1. I like the rotary engine for what it is. 2. I don't trust it to last very long based on past history. 3. I'll probably let our RX-8 go before the engine warranty runs out because my wife will most likely want something else, by then. 4. I can say we finally owned at least one rotary car, in our lifetimes, which will finally get rid of my urge to have one.

BTW, I'm not so sure FDs are that rare. The V8 guys seem to have no trouble finding them. They are expensive, though.

Rotary wasn't an option for me because I don't trust it.

Rotary turbo'd to hell = 400whp & lifespan of ~ 2 years
LS2 turbo'd to hell = 1200whp & lifespan of ~ 2 years

LS2 unmodified = 400 whp (headers and exhaust for fitment) & lifespan of ~ 10 years

Back