Front Brake Rotors and Brake Shields

IslandP5

:
Black 2002 P5
Front Brake Rotors and Brake Shields----Brakes Ticking/Clicking

For the last little while I've been hearing a ticking coming from the front driverside wheel. It is there right from when I pull out of the driveway. Like a second hand ticking on a clock. It gets faster and slower depending on my speed. And the ticking changes slightly when I press the brakes. Braking power is just fine and no vibrations or pulling or anything like that.

I plan to take it in Monday to have someone have a look because I've been getting every diagnosis under the sun. From CV joints to wheel bearings to new pads, rotors and calipers.

But tonight I was curious and went to the car and took a close look at the front wheels and brakes. When I reached in through the driverside wheel I found that the brake shield is only about a millimetre from touching the rotor. And when I tapped the back of the shield it was easily hitting the rotor. So close that when I reached in I thought the back of the shield was the rotor. When I checked the passenger side, the shield was a good half-centimetre from the rotor (I also went down to the Mazda dealer and checked their used P5s (sssh) ).

Anyone ever experienced this before? Could this be the ticking?

What sort of distance between the rotor and the shield is correct?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Last edited:
ETA: or should there be a spacer of some sort installed between the rotor and the shield?

(all brake parts are dealer bought and dealer installed. nothing aftermarket.)

Hey I finally found some one with the same problem! The only difference is mine is on the passenger side. Like you said its a ticking sound but i only seem to hear it when im actually braking. Im going to check to see if the protector is to close to the rotar. Thanks for the post

Hey I finally found some one with the same problem! The only difference is mine is on the passenger side. Like you said its a ticking sound but i only seem to hear it when im actually braking. Im going to check to see if the protector is to close to the rotar. Thanks for the post

Whatcha find?

I've no idea if this is even causing my "tick tick tick", but it seems possible. If nothing else, it is something I need repaired ASAP.

bend it away from the rotor? It's not very thick metal.

You're right. Just a piece of molded tin or some other metal. Just not sure if there should be a spacer between it and the rotor. It seems quite flat to the rotor and bending it out on one part of the shield might bend it in against the rotor on another part. And I just can't see exactly what I'm doing.

I had the same problem on drivers side also bent it away from the rotor and fixed the noise.

just bend it my friend.... in all actuality you don't even need it... it's just a dust cover...

just bend it my friend.... in all actuality you don't even need it... it's just a dust cover...

I had the same problem on drivers side also bent it away from the rotor and fixed the noise.

Success!!! Well, almost. I gave it a wee nudge last night and when I drove away this morning there was nothing that I could hear (though the high winds could be masking the sound). Got to the dealer for a chat and the SM gave it a good push. But he explained what I may also be hearing is the rust flakes that have formed on top of the rotors. And when the rotor cycles through the caliper the rust hits creating a 'Tick Tick Tick'. Something for me to keep an eye on for sure, though it makes perfect sense.

Anyways, I'll wait for the wind to go down a bit and have another listen then.

:)

Thanks guys.

If that is the case, it is easy enough to open it up and clean out the caliper on this car.

Tooth brush sounds good for cleaning. Remember that the top part of the caliper swings open with just an allen wrench bolt. This will not affect the brake pads.

Tooth brush sounds good for cleaning. Remember that the top part of the caliper swings open with just an allen wrench bolt. This will not affect the brake pads.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying the caliper can be moved slightly away from the rotor, but not move the pads or affect braking?

Keep in mind that the tools in my basement consist of a set of screwdrivers, a 30 year old socket set with missing pieces, a chainsaw and an old wallpaper trough.

Sweet! I noticed that there was a lot of rust on the top of the rotors. Just another question though, when I break I hear like a "clunking sound when i come to a complete stop and sometimes this ticking noise becomes more of a loud clunking noise. Would you have any idea of what this could be? Thanks for your help.

Sweet! I noticed that there was a lot of rust on the top of the rotors. Just another question though, when I break I hear like a "clunking sound when i come to a complete stop and sometimes this ticking noise becomes more of a loud clunking noise. Would you have any idea of what this could be? Thanks for your help.

Spoke with my old man about this last night and he was saying his Toyota is making the same 'tick tick tick' noise. His service manager said pretty much what mine said. The rust flakes are hitting and creating a tick. Sounds reasonable enough.

Anyway, after pressing back the brake shield and toothbrushing the rust flakes, the 'tick tick tick' is pretty much gone. I have to stick my head out the window to hear it and even then it is pretty faint. Hopefully it'll stay this way till I get the pads and rotors replaced in the spring.

If I was to venture a guess at the 'clunk', I would say maybe a ball-joint, pads or rotors have uneven wear or maybe a loose transmission or engine mount. Though I really don't know.

Little update:

Finally had enough and replaced the rotors. Ticking is gone (only 15kms driven since though) and a few other little noises seem gone too.

And I also learned that the gas tanks in a P5 are plastic. Was a productive day. :)

Back