How-To. Mazda5 Smoked Taillights and Side Markers

Thanks man. Those mods you have in your sig sound good, so also let us know when you post some pics :D

Well I just now placed an order for the VHT niteshade spray. You guys know what the basic tail lights look like right? Well I'm thinking of spraying just the clear part, and leaving the red alone. What do you think? I figure this way I can tone down the giant triangles on the back of my 5, but still have legal, working break lights. It would just be the blinkers and reverse lights being covered. And I'm not planning on a thick coat.

All done! Sorry these photos are on here in two threads.

What do you think?

CIMG3967s.jpg

CIMG3968s.jpg

CIMG3969s.jpg

CIMG3973s.jpg

Hi guys , i got mine done this summer. Like coolmazda5 said, look at ebay under Mazda3 side markers.They are the same. Don't forget that our 5 is a copy of the 3.

Antenna
air filter
coil springs
are all the same as a 3 and much much more...

This is good info for me to know... as I'm trying to get the wife to make our 5 look a bit better.

michael.

I just ordered a set of smoked side repeaters. Pretty good deal. Check the 3 forums for a 15 dollar discount from partplaza.org

m.

You know... You can pick up a can of Testors model paint "Transparent Black Window Tint" for about $5 and spray them yourself for excellent results.

I did something similar on my Porsche with the tail lights. I painted the yellow portions with a translucent candy apple red to make them look all red.

Sensinitas you were able to paint your tail lights!!! How were you able to get them open? I heard they were bonded together so it was impossible to bake them...Looks great tho...

All done! Sorry these photos are on here in two threads.

What do you think?

CIMG3967s.jpg

CIMG3968s.jpg

CIMG3969s.jpg

CIMG3973s.jpg

Sensinitas you were able to paint your tail lights!!! How were you able to get them open? I heard they were bonded together so it was impossible to bake them...Looks great tho...

I didn't crack them open. I just used the VHT Nite Shades and sprayed the clear part. Came out way better than I expected!

yeah it looks great! I thought you opened them up and painted them. Maybe I'll see you around when I go down to the Naval bases in SD...Definately looks better than stock

Here's a quick write up on how to smoke your side markers yourself. I probably could have put on another coat or two, but was afraid of going too dark. It's easier to add coats than to take them off. So I'll live with this for a while and darken them up more if I feel the need.

First, pick up a can of Testors "Transparent Black Window Tint" paint.

Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20008.JPG

Then remove your side markers. You simply slide them to the rear of the car and the front endge will come out. Then disconnect the electrical connector.

Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20004.JPG

I cut a couple holes in a box to hold the lights and then wiped them down with some denatured alcohol to remove any wax or road grime.

Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20007.JPG

First coat...
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20009.JPG

3rd coat...
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20010.JPG

BEFORE:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20002.JPG

AFTER:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20011.JPG

BEFORE:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20003.JPG

AFTER:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20012.JPG

OFF:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20014.JPG

ON:
Mazda%20Side%20Markers%20015.JPG

Hello guys. I am new to this forum but I am a long time member of m****************. My GF just got a 2009 5 and I started modding it. I have a question about the rear reflectors on the back of the bumper. Do they pop off or is their a screw also. On my 3 they pop off but I can't seem to pop her's off. I want to black them out with VHT niteshades. I have used it before on my reflectors and sidemarkers. It's very good if any one is debating on using it. The key is to do light coats. If you go too heavy its turns pale and dull. Thanks

Well since no one responded I went ahead and attempted to remove the reflectors. After 10 min of pushing they finally popped off. I smoked them with VHT nightshades. I'll post pics soon.

Well since no one responded I went ahead and attempted to remove the reflectors. After 10 min of pushing they finally popped off. I smoked them with VHT nightshades. I'll post pics soon.

Can't wait to see them mate. Did you use any object or instrument to pop them out?

thanks, lamazda3, i was wondering how to get them off. my friend has a 3 and was asking me today, so i told him i would look here. lol.

Back