Need Winter Tire Recommendation

No, I didn't, I'm curious too.

Did you order from TireRack?

Oh yeah, TCS: traction contol system.

That was on the TireRack website for blizzak LM-25's to be fitted to the stock '08 17's. I'm going to see if the same message comes up for all the winter tires for that size.

You have TCS for your 5? or are you just speaking in general terms?

General terms. Sorry about the confusion.

I see what you mean about the warning Tirerack gives about the load difference in the tires and performance. It only gives it to me when I am about to order the 17" LM-25s. For the 16" package, I received no warning.

[Added]

It seems to be giving the warning for every 17" winter tire I select.

Last edited:
That was on the TireRack website for blizzak LM-25's to be fitted to the stock '08 17's. I'm going to see if the same message comes up for all the winter tires for that size.

Em ... I could be wrong but I am not sure if the 5 comes with TCS. I believe the "EBD" found on our 5 is technically not an active traction control system like we see on other vehicles.

At any rate, mounting different types of tire on the front and the back wheels is not recommended. You would increase your risk of getting into a spin during emergency maneuvers due to the differences in traction and road behavior exhibited by the front and back tires.

General terms. Sorry about the confusion.

I see what you mean about the warning Tirerack gives about the load difference in the tires and performance. It only gives it to me when I am about to order the 17" LM-25s. For the 16" package, I received no warning.

[Added]

It seems to be giving the warning for every 17" winter tire I select.

Well at least that's nice to know. I was about to do that same test mysefl before I ordered. I'll just go ahead then. Thanks for the update.

Em ... I could be wrong but I am not sure if the 5 comes with TCS. I believe the "EBD" found on our 5 is technically not an active traction control system like we see on other vehicles.

At any rate, mounting different types of tire on the front and the back wheels is not recommended. You would increase your risk of getting into a spin during emergency maneuvers due to the differences in traction and road behavior exhibited by the front and back tires.

Ya, I only asked because I was curious if he was driving one of the models outside the US/Canada that DID have it. Like several European models. Personally, traction and stability control are the one(two) feature(s) I really wish the 5 had...along with more power but when will that ever end? :) Of course equipping these features means a bigger price tag too, but I'd like the option either way. My bet is you can count on the next-gen car to have both traction/stability and more power, not to mention a few competitors from other manufacturers...but that's all another topic.

....several members have reported success with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. I'll be ordering Blizzak WS-60's on 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack.....

I still can't quite pin down my choice for winter tires for my GT. Have been using Nokian for the last 8 years or so. Prior to that, just an all-season person like most.

Basically its down to WS-60's, Nokian R's(fairly expensive), conti winter viking 3(would have trouble getting a replacement locally if something went wrong), or possibly yokohama IG20's.

The Mazda dealership has a WS-60 package, but I'm not about to pay over $1300, when I can order for way less.

The Mazda dealership has a WS-60 package, but I'm not about to pay over $1300, when I can order for way less.

I dunno if that's 1300$ in loonies or green backs, but...

I'm going to be ordering a 16" LM-25 package, with steel wheels and wheel covers from TireRack, today, for about $800 and change. Including shipping. And the WS-60 tires are the same price as the LM-25s ($108)....

And I'm going to be getting a $50 visa card via mail.

I dunno if that's 1300$ in loonies or green backs, but...

I'm going to be ordering a 16" LM-25 package, with steel wheels and wheel covers from TireRack, today, for about $800 and change. Including shipping. And the WS-60 tires are the same price as the LM-25s ($108)....

And I'm going to be getting a $50 visa card via mail.

Just for the LM-25 tires themselves, we're talking around $800 Canadian. And that is no rims. I'll consider TireRack again, but UPS hits us with brokerage fees. I'll have to figure out all the costs for comparison.

Just for the LM-25 tires themselves, we're talking around $800 Canadian. And that is no rims. I'll consider TireRack again, but UPS hits us with brokerage fees. I'll have to figure out all the costs for comparison.

$800 isn't too bad. I was quoted $1310 from Blaskin & Lane in Calgary, that's tires only, installed and balanced, on the 17" OEM wheels for the LM-25's.

I'm going to be in Kalispell, MT for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and am taking the opportunity to get some installed while I'm down there. To get the same LM-25's down there from TR would be $130x4+$60(shipping)+$100(local install)=$680USD = $762CAD. That's about $550 savings and those prices were the same when the dollars were at parody.

Incidentally I'm going to go with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's for $640 installed on my OEM 17" wheels, balanced, warrantied, and nitrogen filled. Costco is having a sale so I'm happy with the price, and even feel that the tire is better for my driving habits and winter conditions.

Hey rscottg, I'm in Canada and I just ordered a set of LM-25 from TireRack.com for my GTI. Way cheaper than ordering locally here in the GTA area, even after adding the shipping, taxes, duty and brokerage fee. TireRack can calculate the actual final amount you will have to pay, which makes it real easy to compare with other quotes you have got. No C.O.D. will be required. Tires arrived in 3 days shipped directly to my mechanics.

So I got my snow tires, Blizzak LM-25s. I got a quote from TireRack for the tires, 16" steelies and wheel covers for $800 plus a $50 gift card.

On a whim, I took the quote to a local DiscountTire and they matched the price. Well, $860 plus a $100 rebate. Then they called me the next day to say that they couldn't get the steelies, and asked if they could replace them with aluminum wheels. So I'm pretty happy with the $760 purchase.

Driving from the shop to work, the noise level seemed a bit higher, and they didn't seem to handle quite as well as the stock Toyos.

Here are two pictures.

Attachments

• wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 203
  • wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
There is an inexpensive General Arctic on the Tire Rack $88/tire. Very good winter rubber w/ option for studs.

There is an inexpensive General Arctic on the Tire Rack $88/tire. Very good winter rubber w/ option for studs.
Do you know anything more about this tire? the General Altimax Arctic (the Gislaved Nordfrost 3 under a new name). found them local here for the same price. was wondering if there's anyone out there that's ran them.

Thank MRBWA1. I entered the wrong number. Here is the correct info.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

205/50-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.1in 78.8in 804 0.0%
195/60-16 4.6in 12.6in 25.2in 79.2in 800 0.6%
205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 -0.8%

I guess the only benefit of the 195/60 16 is in the speedo.

Looks like either would work. Pros of the 195/60 over the 205 would be possibly better snow traction (smaller contact patch) and maybe (very slightly) better gas mileage due to gearing (slight increase in diameter), though the snow compound's increased rolling resistance probably counteracts this. Disadvantage would be taller sidewall than the 205/55 which would be "softer" under handling loads. I think you could be happy with either frankly. 195/60 is probably cheaper. Tirerack recommends the 205/55, they seem to know what they're doing.

OK, this might be a stupid Noob question about winter rubber, but never worried about it before. Would there be a benifit to just running the front two with winter rubber, and leaving the backs as all-season since its FWD?

For straightline you'd probably be ok, but in turns? I'm guessing some substantial oversteer in poor traction conditions with the lower traction rear whipping around. Could be a lot of fun though (in a snowy parking lot for example). Or downright dangerous.

For straightline you'd probably be ok, but in turns? I'm guessing some substantial oversteer in poor traction conditions with the lower traction rear whipping around. Could be a lot of fun though (in a snowy parking lot for example). Or downright dangerous.

Yeah, came to that conclusion as well. I don't think for her it would be fun, and since I never drive it, best to just stick with 4 for her. So that's the plan, 4 for her and the 5.

I have a set of alloy 17's that I'm putting the General Altimax Arctics (205-50/17) on. They are made in Germany, and look like the Hankook. They were $88 a piece throught AAFES.com... and I get free mounting. I've had Gislaved and Blizzaks before with very positive results on Saabs and BMWs.

AIMWO4 0- thanks for the feedback on those. That's good news, if this other thing I'm working on doesn't pan out, looks like I'll take her car that route, and maybe pick up a set for myself.

Got the Generals on yesterday

I put the snows on yesterday. We may get snow Tuesday.

Had a nice ride in them. Not noisy which was good. Had highway, concrete, black top, and crap top with them yesterday.

(cool)

Attachments

• IMGP1242.JPG
    IMGP1242.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMGP1244.JPG
    IMGP1244.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMGP1245.JPG
    IMGP1245.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMGP1246.JPG
    IMGP1246.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 139
I wonder if there should be a Winter Tire Thread - Sticky.

Seem to be a lot of new posts on the same thing.

OK, so here's what I finally wound up doing for winter tires this season. Thanks for all your input and meandering banter.

I took the easy way out and just called Mainway Motors (Saskatoon) and purchased their winter tire/rim package and had it sent out on the bus to me. It consisted of 16" factory steel rims with 205/55-16 Blizzak WS-60 tires. I switched them out myself after the first snowfall (yeah, I left the factory Toyos on as long as I could) and wow what a difference! I'm very impressed at how quiet these new tires are. The traction on ice is very impressive. I'm happy.

Glad I did it when I did because winter tires are getting scarce around here since Quebec's new law mandating all cars have winter tires came into effect. Quebec has bought up a lot of the winter tires and left the rest of Canada on the short side.

Latest posts

Back