power gains from aftermarket mods??

GAME100

:
1992 Ford Probe, 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
how much of a HP increase can we expect from the typical aftermarket mods?? i.e. FMIC, SMIC, intake, exhaust etc.

intake- not noticeable, the stock airbox flows well and is efficient. An intake sounds cool tho. an upgraded smic or fmic will eliminate heat soak which is a big deal on these cars, giving it probably 15-20hp. and for an exhaust,that all depends on the size and if you will be running cats or not. i have a 3" vibrant from the j-back with a cat which i would say another 15-20hp.

i wonder how much hp the afc give or if it give any. i know that when i installed mine i just could feel a big difference in the way it drove.

there are different gains with the afc depending on what boost you are running. I have mine in the mail ;) it leans out the rich conditions so there is more consistant power with no hesitation.

i have fmic, 2.5 midpipe no cats, j pipe, afc, front motor mount and a boost controller that im trying to get set at 10 psi.

how much of a HP increase can we expect from the typical aftermarket mods?? i.e. FMIC, SMIC, intake, exhaust etc.

You will probably get a range of responses for the common parts.

I didn't get a stock baseline, but I did do a lot of dyno runs for different parts...

iON FMIC, Injen CAI, 3" Jpipe-back exhaust:

7.5psi - 200.3whp/213.7wtq.
10psi - 207.3whp/234.5wtq

iON FMIC, Injen CAI, 3" exhaust, mpi tuner:

10psi - 220.1whp/215.1wtq (pulled a lot of timing so the torque dropped)

Injen CAI, iON FMIC, 3" exhaust, mpi tuner and secondary injectors, GT2860RS (.86)

12psi - 234.9whp/246.6wtq

Here is a video showing the gains for a tubular manifold, swap to MAM FMIC, and a 3" downpipe... ending up at 277.4whp/274wtq:

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=2e8120bf-ad7a-43d2-a4cb-12bf93ca5ad0" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Yeah Rich's car is just insane.

You have to understand too that every car is going to react differently to mods. In addition, weather conditions, tune, and fuel quality are going to have a huge impact of those as well.

off of what ive read and seeing posts from other people, I dont even think there are any dyno proven gains. although you can hear the turbo spooling louder. I installed the upgraded SMIC hardpipes and Injen all at the same time so i couldn't tell u the individual gains.

intercooler, exhaust upgrades, and afc are the biggest options to gain bigger hp. i agree that 210 hp should be available at 10 psi

iON FMIC, Injen CAI, 3" Jpipe-back exhaust:

7.5psi - 200.3whp/213.7wtq.
10psi - 207.3whp/234.5wtq

I find this interesting minimal gain with 2.5 psi increased

iON FMIC, Injen CAI, 3" exhaust, mpi tuner:

10psi - 220.1whp/215.1wtq (pulled a lot of timing so the torque dropped)

I'm pretty sure the curve is way uber after the MPI

I dyno'd my car monthes ago and it did 158whp/184tq with just the injen CAI/Greddy SP2 combo.

I suspect i should be closer to the 190whp/200whp mark with my current mods, although i need a tune real bad!

Search for an article a few years back in Sport Compact magazine. They do most of the common bolt ons and offer dyno results.

Back